Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Got told off by the Post Office man

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2007, 03:58 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Got told off by the Post Office man

Just went to drop off a parcel which was something I've sold off Ebay. If you use Paypal, you can now print your own labels and pay for postage etc. through their website.

Anyway, the thing I was sending was recorded and after I'd called Paypal to ask if I still had to take it into the post office, they said I had to. So I did.

When I got to the PO and asked the guy if I still had to come in, he replied, "of course you do, otherwise it's not recorded delivery." Fair enough I thought, but then he went on to tell me I wasn't supporting local POs and the like and that he'd do it for me "just this once."

Got me a bit annoyed really. The Post Office provides a service, does it not? The Royal Mail are still getting the money, it's just from a different source.

I think that's the last time I will go in there - I have always supported the local POs and nearly always buy a packet of out of date mints whenever I drop something off - but not any more!
Old 06 July 2007, 04:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

When I used pre printed from paypal I was told they could not accept it and it had to be done thru them.
Old 06 July 2007, 04:11 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

OK, so where can we take the parcels then?
Old 06 July 2007, 04:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

You should have responded by saying that if the work shy ******* would stop going on strike then more people would happily use the Royal mail.

I feel sorry for Service sector workers. They only get offered inflation wage rises .....................just like the rest of us. If I went on strike because I didn't get 6% every year, I'd be sacked on the spot.
Old 06 July 2007, 04:24 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

erm, if this is a local post office then they don't gain anything from people buying stamps etc from them, they get hardy anything for it, which is why they favour the printed stamp labels as they give them more profit, these weren't the people going on strike recently, the postmen were.

Far too many local post offices are getting closed down lately and it's a shame, but if they don't get the business then they cannot stay open
Old 06 July 2007, 04:27 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes

The Post Office provides a service, does it not? The Royal Mail are still getting the money, it's just from a different source.
Post Office Counters and Royal Mail are two separate companies, so yes Royal Mail are getting the money but the Post Office isn't.

Post Offices make their money by how many transactions they carry out, the transactions are recorded in different ways - either a sale or a service. In your case the service is being provided but the Post Office is not selling you the stamps/ postage so they will not be making any money.

He sounds like a right miserable git though.
Old 06 July 2007, 04:38 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Oh well. I am sorry for the guy if I've done him out of a few pence, but the fact is you shouldn't be so miserable so it puts people off coming back! If I now won't go in there, I'm not going to buy anything else which he probably makes more money on.

Anyway, where am I supposed to take these parcels now?

Trending Topics

Old 06 July 2007, 04:52 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Post Offices are on a par with DSS offices IMO, they absolutely reek of BO and are generally full of societys dregs.
Old 06 July 2007, 05:07 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Post Office is the lesser of two evils though. Ebay and PayPal already suck you dry between their various fees!

I'd rather trust the PO for comeback in a sales dispute and get the thing weighed/priced properly too.

5t.
Old 06 July 2007, 05:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fivetide
Post Office is the lesser of two evils though. Ebay and PayPal already suck you dry between their various fees!

I'd rather trust the PO for comeback in a sales dispute and get the thing weighed/priced properly too.

5t.
Agreed, and if you want to a question it doesn't take about 4 zillion hours to find the right link to click.
It'll be a sad day for all of us when face to face advice dissapears to be replaced by search engines and online help sections.
Old 06 July 2007, 06:28 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by stilover
You should have responded by saying that if the work shy ******* would stop going on strike then more people would happily use the Royal mail.

I feel sorry for Service sector workers. They only get offered inflation wage rises .....................just like the rest of us. If I went on strike because I didn't get 6% every year, I'd be sacked on the spot.
I agree... Only scum and lefties strike... Either way, they dont deserve the job theyre in. Dont like your job? Get another!
I have no time or respect for any service / employee who strikes and wont support them wherever possible

Last edited by Abdabz; 06 July 2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06 July 2007, 07:28 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I agree... Only scum and lefties strike... Either way, they dont deserve the job theyre in. Dont like your job? Get another!
I have no time or respect for any service / employee who strikes and wont support them wherever possible
So are you inferring that all businesses are paragons of virtue and treat their employees with respect and fairness?
Old 06 July 2007, 07:36 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide

5t.
It actually didn't cost me anything apart from the cost of postage. And I weighed it in my own scales before buying, so I knew I had the right amount on it.
Old 06 July 2007, 08:16 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

pointless- you still need to line up to get the recorded slip stamped, the parcel size checked, and the correct amount checked, so waste of time to do it online

just get a wedge of recorded slips, fill them in at home then take it.
Old 06 July 2007, 08:23 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Abdabz

So Because i work for Royal Mail I classed as scum am I, Well go and stick you heed up your Fcucking A$re pal!!!!

Clare there is no way you should have been treated like that call customer service on 08457 740 740 and make a complaint about the said post office, If i can help in anyway please feel free to PM me.
Cheers
Colin
Old 06 July 2007, 09:01 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Just went to drop off a parcel which was something I've sold off Ebay. If you use Paypal, you can now print your own labels and pay for postage etc. through their website.

Anyway, the thing I was sending was recorded and after I'd called Paypal to ask if I still had to take it into the post office, they said I had to. So I did.

When I got to the PO and asked the guy if I still had to come in, he replied, "of course you do, otherwise it's not recorded delivery." Fair enough I thought, but then he went on to tell me I wasn't supporting local POs and the like and that he'd do it for me "just this once."

Got me a bit annoyed really. The Post Office provides a service, does it not? The Royal Mail are still getting the money, it's just from a different source.

I think that's the last time I will go in there - I have always supported the local POs and nearly always buy a packet of out of date mints whenever I drop something off - but not any more!
Yeah, I got this off my Post Mistress, she was nice about it though.

Basically, if you send it recorded/signed for there's no speed gain at the postoffice by you printing it off yourself (apart from using the whizzy thing that does their address too) as they still have to run it through their system at a cost of 0p and fill out all the stuff etc.

I did it once, but now TBH, I'd rather let the post office do it than give paypal the cut on printing the stamp.

J
Old 06 July 2007, 09:09 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
pointless- you still need to line up to get the recorded slip stamped, the parcel size checked, and the correct amount checked, so waste of time to do it online

just get a wedge of recorded slips, fill them in at home then take it.
I have got a wedge of slips and fill them in before I go down there anyway.
Old 06 July 2007, 09:11 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Clare there is no way you should have been treated like that call customer service on 08457 740 740 and make a complaint about the said post office, If i can help in anyway please feel free to PM me.
Cheers
Colin
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if it's serious enough to make a complaint, but I won't be going back there again. There is another PO as close to me as that one, so I'll just go there.

Cheers
Clare