Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fatal Crash While Texting - Banged up for 4 Years

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2007, 06:40 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatal Crash While Texting - Banged up for 4 Years

A 19-year-old woman who crashed her car while sending text messages, killing another woman, was sentenced to four years in jail on Friday.
Full Story

Looks like things are getting tougher on people using their phones while driving!

19 years old, 4 years inside and banned for 5 years!
Old 20 July 2007, 06:43 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

It's a start, but 4 years isn't much for killing someone. Besides, she'll be out in 2 years anyway.
Old 20 July 2007, 06:45 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

no more than she deserves imo. although I'm not going to sit here and say I've never used my phone whilst driving ....but 9 times within a 15min journey !!
Old 20 July 2007, 07:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Texting seems to be a dangerous game when driving although I don't think using the phone normally for a quick call or answer is that bad. I had a hands-free installed in one car I owned and using that was a sight more dangerous than holding a mobile to my ear.

This woman was asking for trouble. So sorry that she had to learn at someone else's expense
Old 20 July 2007, 07:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have been LIFE ....
Old 20 July 2007, 07:08 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I think she got off very lightly
Old 20 July 2007, 07:13 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

She will be out in 6 to 12 months, and paid rent too for the remainder of her sentence, and if she goes to one of these new namby pamby jails, she will get a mobile phone too whilst inside

Early in January the eldest friend from school's dad was killed 20 yards from our house driving his car, speeding and talking on his mobile phone, whilst he drove straight under an oncoming wagon

He was in Hospital for a week with broken arms, broken legs, shattered pelvis severe head & chest injuries before they turned his life support off

I refuse to use mine whilst driving

Trending Topics

Old 20 July 2007, 11:10 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
It's a start, but 4 years isn't much for killing someone. Besides, she'll be out in 2 years anyway.

She didn't get four years for killing someone, she got four years for dangerous driving.

M
Old 20 July 2007, 11:14 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I thought the sentence was 4 years for Death by Dangerous Driving ?
Old 20 July 2007, 11:22 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
She will be out in 6 to 12 months, and paid rent too for the remainder of her sentence, and if she goes to one of these new namby pamby jails, she will get a mobile phone too whilst inside
she wont mate.
she will have to do at least 2 years (unless she gets tagged)

no excuse BUT she WILL have to live knowing she murdered someone cos of her thoughtless actions....

she should of got at least 6 IMO
Old 20 July 2007, 11:25 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

They do seem to prefer tagging them thesedays, keeps the population down

Yes she will have to live with what she has done

The government should fit phone blocking devices to cars so they cannot be used, I see more and more people using mobile phones whilst driving than before they were banned
Old 20 July 2007, 11:27 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

yeah, i see people every day too.....

considering what COULD happen i dont know why people dont?
Old 20 July 2007, 11:29 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

They get away with it, which is why they still do it

Almost made me laugh the other week, the height of terrorist activity, arrests being made, attacks on Glasgow airport, country on high alert

All the police around Liverpool were out in force catching mobile phone users in their cars
Old 21 July 2007, 12:24 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a sensible deployment of police resources, the mobile phone users have killed more people than the 'terrorists' have
Old 21 July 2007, 12:41 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

She's not actually going to prison, she's going to a Young Offenders Institute! No idea why when she's 19, perhaps because the prisons are full?
Old 21 July 2007, 12:51 AM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Phones are bad but smoking whilst driving is equally as dangerous. Why has this not been banned as well. How many times do you get cut up on roundabouts by some idiot with one hand on steering wheel and *** in the other!!
Old 21 July 2007, 01:51 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Smoking is next on the governments agenda to be banned in all cars, and not just shared company vehicles

They should also ban drinking mugs of coffee/tea whilst driving too, like the woman did this morning, not one of those cups to go with a lid, a full mug like you would have at home

All zebra crossings should be replaced with traffic lights too, as again tonight I escaped a severe mowing down by an inch or so because people think it is perfectly acceptable to drive straight through them even when someone is in the middle of it crossing the road
Old 21 July 2007, 01:55 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Sounds like a sensible deployment of police resources, the mobile phone users have killed more people than the 'terrorists' have
Old 21 July 2007, 07:23 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
She's not actually going to prison, she's going to a Young Offenders Institute! No idea why when she's 19, perhaps because the prisons are full?

Adult prison are for 21+ AFAIK.

M
Old 21 July 2007, 08:28 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

we have just deployed blackberry handsets at work, I think I'll circulate that link as a warning
Old 21 July 2007, 08:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d

The 'ban all mobiles at the wheel' campaign is another example of common sense out of the window. In *some* circumstances there is no problem even with a hand held mobile. ON an empty m'way for example. But in townn there is no excuse for using one. However, texting from a car whilst driving is the height of idiocy! There is no way you have even a fraction of your attention on the road.

Dave

Exactly right.

Funnily enough I was on the M4 recently and noticed that a tanker in front of me was spewing out AVGAS all over the slow lane. I was about to make a call to police when I thought no as I'll get some PC correct plod booking me for calling when driving. I could have stopped on the hard shoulder but then I would have lost the tanker and it's registration number. dl
Old 21 July 2007, 08:46 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its just a case of the clueless and selfish generation being created, all teenagers are a bit guilty of this (and a lot of adults) but young women these days seem very self centered.
Old 21 July 2007, 09:00 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
Phones are bad but smoking whilst driving is equally as dangerous. Why has this not been banned as well. How many times do you get cut up on roundabouts by some idiot with one hand on steering wheel and *** in the other!!
Who keeps trotting out this RIDICULOUS argument? I see it on every Scoobynet "phoning while driving" thread. When was the last time you concentrated on a conversation with a cig? It's not holding the phone/cig that causes the problem, it's the distraction of holding a conversation/texting.

As for "How many times do you get cut up on roundabouts by some idiot with one hand on steering wheel and *** in the other?" I can honestly say it's never happened to me.
Old 21 July 2007, 09:56 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

I'm still seeing it on a daily basis, mobile phone to the ear, texting etc, whilst driving.

Quite a lot of "white van men" still do it, but by FAR the largest majority of those doing it are young females.

It must be in their genes: how many times can you follow a car and tell the sex of the person driving because they KEEP turning to their passenger whilst talking to them. They just HAVE to see the effect they are having

And yes, sorry ladies, but it IS females!

Alcazar
Old 21 July 2007, 10:54 AM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

i dont think any one takes driving seriosly now. 1 example from yesterday on the M1 in slow traffic. I was in Lane 3 and the car in front was programing the sat nav, not just one destination, a whole load of them. I looked to my left and the drver in lane 2 was using their mobile. I looked in the rear view mirror, and this is best one. the driver hs 2 hands off the wheel and tucking into some watermelon. All were accidents waiting to happen, all under the age of 21 (i guess) Where are the police.
Old 21 July 2007, 10:58 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
She didn't get four years for killing someone, she got four years for dangerous driving.
Hence the sad face in my post, IMO the law as it currently stands is wrong. Once a death is involved then it should become a criminal case (manslaughter etc) rather than a traffic offence.
Old 21 July 2007, 11:04 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Sad and unnecessary waste of life.
Old 21 July 2007, 11:14 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

However much you argue about it, using a phone while driving, hands free, holding it, and worse of all, sending a text message, is a definite distraction and removes your full attention from driving.

This girl was grossly irresponsible and I reckon she got off lightly bearing in mind she killed an innocent driver.

Les
Old 21 July 2007, 11:55 AM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Exactly right.

Funnily enough I was on the M4 recently and noticed that a tanker in front of me was spewing out AVGAS all over the slow lane. I was about to make a call to police when I thought no as I'll get some PC correct plod booking me for calling when driving. I could have stopped on the hard shoulder but then I would have lost the tanker and it's registration number. dl

If you're calling 999 you would not get a ticket

Quick Reply: Fatal Crash While Texting - Banged up for 4 Years