Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A dodgy limo operator nabbed big style...

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2007, 11:12 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A dodgy limo operator nabbed big style...

This press release caught my eye, just thought I'd share it with everybody. Just note the number of points on this guy's licence now..................

Illegal limousine operator fined £14k

A Bradford-based limousine operator has been fined £14,200 including costs after a series of extremely serious irregularities were discovered. Mohammed Saleem Nawaz, who trades as Oasis Limousines Ltd, received the £10,200 fine plus £4,000 costs for a range of offences including driving without insurance, fraudulent use of registration plates, fraudulent use of Vehicle Excise Duty and not having a PSV operator licence or a Certificate of Initial Fitness (COIF). Mr Nawaz also had 31 points endorsed on his driving licence at Leeds Crown Court earlier this month.

The defendant originally claimed he had attempted to obtain an O-licence but this was disproved and he then stated his intention to make an application in due course. He was instructed to repay the debt at a minimum rate of £500-per-month, and warned that failure to do so would almost certainly lead to a prison sentence.

It was only after an exceptional hardship case was fought that Mr Nawaz escaped disqualification. He is also due to face proceedings for further offences, again relating to a failure to obtain the correct PSV licences and O-licences and associated offences.

VOSA’s Head of Traffic Enforcement Policy Neil Barlow said: “Although we are more than aware that the majority of limousine operators conduct their business in a safe fashion, VOSA will continue to crackdown on the reckless minority who put the public at risk in this way. The fines imposed show just how seriously we take this issue, and this was an exceptionally good piece of work from our team in Leeds.”

“VOSA is continuing to work with the Police, Department for Transport and industry groups to ensure safe operation of this type of vehicle. We advise members of the public to check at least the following points prior to making a booking. Does the driver hold a PCV driving licence and has he been screened by the Criminal Records Bureau? Does the vehicle contain basic safety items (first aid kit, fire extinguisher)? Do the forward-facing seats have seatbelts? Anyone in doubt should call VOSA’s hotline on 0870 60 60 440.”

Last edited by Reffro; 21 August 2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 21 August 2007, 11:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Probably go back to mini cabbing now

=========

(R, Still running ok btw!)
Old 21 August 2007, 11:21 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

dodgy taxi\ Limo co in Bradford shocker!!
Old 21 August 2007, 11:30 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Be careful, this could end up being twisted into a racism thread!
Old 21 August 2007, 11:45 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Only if all Taxi\Limos are driven by one race.....
Old 21 August 2007, 12:17 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Limos should have to carry a licence plate in the same fashion that hackney carriages have to.

There are organisations that control the industry such as NLCA - National Limousine and Chauffeur Association - earlier known as NLA
Old 21 August 2007, 12:59 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Mr Nawaz also had 31 points endorsed on his driving licence. It was only after an exceptional hardship case was fought that Mr Nawaz escaped disqualification.
Typical, I bet if it was a white collar sales rep they would have banned immediately.
Old 21 August 2007, 01:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Exceptional hardship case? Are they trying to say that this chap was experiencing hardship, running a limo company illegally? Oooh, that's real hardship that is, we're talking living in a slum and eating out of bins aren't we.

Anyone want to take a bet he won't be back doing this with fake ID within a few months?
Old 21 August 2007, 03:11 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

His company website is still up and running by the way.

Limousines & Limo hire nights out school proms all events for limousines or bentley or mercedes benz harley truck lincoln navigator pink limos

I searched for it after I found the article. Looking at his vehicles, 18 people in a stretch Hummer is advertised, if he was carrying passengers without insurance, nevermind, 31 points I'd have jailed the tw*t.

Oh and don't forget he's due back in court to answer further charges..........

Me posting this was just to serve as a warning for anyone hiring a limo from what look like reputable companies. People need to start asking more questions.
Old 21 August 2007, 03:24 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Exceptional hardship - i'd take the hummer off him. Lets face it, bet he's hardly paying tax on it and he's got tons of cash under the matress or with other members of the family.

Dodgy as. Another example of the useless, toothless courts.

5t.
Old 21 August 2007, 03:28 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Hardship case???

Assuming he is leasing those vehicles it is a massive outlay. My Brother-in0-law half owen a limo company, his stretch cost him £45,000. And the company had three of them.

This bloke has at least eight - Including a phantom. He is not anywhere near hardship.
Old 21 August 2007, 03:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Hardship case???

Assuming he is leasing those vehicles it is a massive outlay. My Brother-in0-law half owen a limo company, his stretch cost him £45,000. And the company had three of them.

This bloke has at least eight - Including a phantom. He is not anywhere near hardship.
He'll have a least 20+ kids to support!! (joke )
Old 21 August 2007, 04:26 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

because he's not paying tax or insurance on them by the sound of it!

no doubt he's devout too so he won't have any loans or be paying interest on them.

5t.
Old 21 August 2007, 06:21 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

with the cars hes got there id say the plus points far outweigh the poxy 14k fine, thats some serious moneys worth
Old 21 August 2007, 07:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps the tax man should have a look as well, I bet he is wadded and pays no tax worth speaking of.

There is a whole separate economy going on.
Old 21 August 2007, 07:44 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

I was going to use this shower of sh1te for my wedding day (we wanted a Bentley)

Had real deep concerns about them even after a couple of phone calls and pulled the plug on them, didn't have any confidence whatsoever...looks like I had them weighed up !!

Used Rent a Bentley from Gently Bentley in the end, deffo reccomend them
Old 21 August 2007, 07:51 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I reckon that collection is approaching a million quid
Old 21 August 2007, 08:32 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
You statement could only be true for one reason...
Old 21 August 2007, 09:24 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
This press release caught my eye, just thought I'd share it with everybody. Just note the number of points on this guy's licence now..................

Illegal limousine operator fined £14k

A Bradford-based limousine operator has been fined £14,200 including costs after a series of extremely serious irregularities were discovered. Mohammed Saleem Nawaz, who trades as Oasis Limousines Ltd, received the £10,200 fine plus £4,000 costs for a range of offences including driving without insurance, fraudulent use of registration plates, fraudulent use of Vehicle Excise Duty and not having a PSV operator licence or a Certificate of Initial Fitness (COIF). Mr Nawaz also had 31 points endorsed on his driving licence at Leeds Crown Court earlier this month.

The defendant originally claimed he had attempted to obtain an O-licence but this was disproved and he then stated his intention to make an application in due course. He was instructed to repay the debt at a minimum rate of £500-per-month, and warned that failure to do so would almost certainly lead to a prison sentence.

It was only after an exceptional hardship case was fought that Mr Nawaz escaped disqualification. He is also due to face proceedings for further offences, again relating to a failure to obtain the correct PSV licences and O-licences and associated offences.

VOSA’s Head of Traffic Enforcement Policy Neil Barlow said: “Although we are more than aware that the majority of limousine operators conduct their business in a safe fashion, VOSA will continue to crackdown on the reckless minority who put the public at risk in this way. The fines imposed show just how seriously we take this issue, and this was an exceptionally good piece of work from our team in Leeds.”

“VOSA is continuing to work with the Police, Department for Transport and industry groups to ensure safe operation of this type of vehicle. We advise members of the public to check at least the following points prior to making a booking. Does the driver hold a PCV driving licence and has he been screened by the Criminal Records Bureau? Does the vehicle contain basic safety items (first aid kit, fire extinguisher)? Do the forward-facing seats have seatbelts? Anyone in doubt should call VOSA’s hotline on 0870 60 60 440.”
(For my sins) I am a resident of Bradford and know the company well........it suprises m that they are such a shoddy outfit, as on the face of it, they have some pretty nice motors, limos and otherwise (Bentleys/cayenne limo, x5 limo, lambos etc)..........as they say money can buy you everything...except class!
Old 21 August 2007, 09:26 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Perhaps the tax man should have a look as well, I bet he is wadded and pays no tax worth speaking of.

There is a whole separate economy going on.

Yup, the cash economy is going strong in this part of the world. I dont have a problem with it, other than the fact that a lot of the money no doubt stems from drugs/accident claim scams etc..........which kind of makes it a pretty dubious place to be!
Old 21 August 2007, 09:30 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Typical, I bet if it was a white collar sales rep they would have banned immediately.
Errmm..I think not....I am a solicitor and have been working in this field for many years now, and your statement holds no water whatsover from my experience.
Old 21 August 2007, 10:42 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Only if all Taxi\Limos are driven by one race.....

I thought they were

Anyhoo 31 points, exactly how many Gatso do you need to speed past at 90mph in one night to rack that many up
Old 22 August 2007, 08:50 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I thought they were

Anyhoo 31 points, exactly how many Gatso do you need to speed past at 90mph in one night to rack that many up
More likely to have been an accumulation of points for multiple occasions of no insurance ...due to being unlicensed....