Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

It beggars belief...

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 12:55 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont worry, petebrant has a solution for you Im sure! Although Im not sure its life imprisonment....
Old 23 August 2007, 09:34 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Most sensible things I have read in the press in months wonder if anyone will listen??

Norman Brennan, director of the Victims of Crime Trust, said: "This shooting surely has pushed Britain to a turning point or to the point of no return.
"We have now got to wake up and work together to take back the cities, towns and villages that are controlled by those who carry and use guns and knives or act criminally or anti-socially or these senseless child murders will become an unacceptable norm on the streets of Britain."
Old 23 August 2007, 10:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
dont worry, petebrant has a solution for you Im sure! Although Im not sure its life imprisonment....
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am pleased to see you have finally come round to see that I have a much better understanding of the problem than your good self. That takes real character, well done

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Most sensible things I have read in the press in months wonder if anyone will listen??
I don't think anyone could argue with those sentiments. The murder of the eleven year old boy really is a shocking event. The question is how do you combat it?

Obviously there is no one solution. I would say you need a multi pronged attack on youth crime, which would include much stiffer sentences for carrying offensive weapons, (if you are caught carrying an offensive weapon you go inside, to either borstal or prison for a short sharp shock, regardless of previous record) greater investment in inner city areas and youths that are skirting on the wrong side of the law, coupled with greater numbers of police.

There is no one simple solution, that's for sure.
Old 23 August 2007, 10:27 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

that is pretty depressing reading, the last few years this country has really started going down the pan.

its alright for all these politicians in their nice high paid jobs and expensive homes, things are great for them!.

in reality though most areas in britain are rapidly going downhill with crime on the up and people doing it getting away with it.

takes the p1ss now that you can be up on assault charge for injuring someone breaking into your home, and they get off with community service or something silly. they seem to have more rights than those not committing crimes!.

they should focus more on the scum in the community rather than trying to sort out speeding motorists and other petty things.
Old 23 August 2007, 10:51 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Ive said it before, if it happened to one of there own, there would be reform overnight, with a major crackdown.

Unfortunately they are so far removed from the populous, I was going to say they have no idea, but i reckon they do, but by admitting it, they become partly accountable....

There are two major factors that compound the issue

The first being the disastrous human rights act, far from achieving its aims, it has become a get out clause for criminals, where there actions are "suddenly " there rights? yet the rights of the aggrieved don't count.?

Secondly the CPS again it seems to champion the rights of the criminals over the rights of the victims, how often do you see career crims, bailed or given community service ffs!!!

There are other things that could be done that would vastly improve the situation, sentencing could befit the crime, not the social experiment that is going on at the time.

The police also need a shake up with the emphasis on nicking crims, rather than victims, and much needs to be done to improve the morale and relationships with the public as well.

Mart
Old 23 August 2007, 12:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think the basic problem is thet children need to be educated from an early age to be proper members of society. If they are left to their own devices being allowed to go and do what they want with no guidance and no rules to follow they will naturally take a wrong path in life.

The only people who can start their children off correctly from a young age are the parents. We know have single parent or dysfunctional families who either are unable or just dont want to bother to control their children. The break up of what used to be normal family life has contributed to all that of course.

It is difficult to know exactly how to reverse this tendency. Maybe parents should be held responsible for the behaviour of their children with compensation having to be paid to victims of assault and also there should be real penalties for those who break the law, or transcend common decency. All this lefty pc crap about rehabilitation is so much hogwash and will never work, they just laugh at it and take full advantage of the situation.

Will we ever get a strong leader who is alive to the situation and will actually do something about it I wonder?

Les
Old 23 August 2007, 12:21 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I strongly believe you should be made to pay for any criman dmage you commit too. It seems that you can do thousands of £s worth of damage to someone'e possesions, and get a minimal fine, then plead povity. If everything you had would be sold of fto pay for the damage, you just might think twice.
Hardly in the same league as shooting a kid, but all crims start somewhere

completely agree about the Human Rights Act. Commit a crime - loose your rights. It's that simple.
Old 23 August 2007, 01:13 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep Gordon Brown is gonna come down like a ton of bricks on the yobs,by increasing the use of acceptable behaviour contracts!! Cower in fear yobs