Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help - traffic incident advice

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2007, 11:34 AM
InaPickle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - traffic incident advice

Using an alias to protect the innocent.....

I need some advice, got a letter through from the police regarding a traffic incident.

Essentially, where I travel to work there two lane road ending up in a roundabout, right lane goes right on the roundabout and the left goes left, the left hand lane is a bus lane that operates after 8am. I usually take the left lane as I go left at the round about, there tends to be a queue in the right lane as it gets busy that way.

A few weeks ago I was coming down the road (it curves to the right about 250 yds before the round about) and just round the curve there was a lorry parked blocking the bus lane. I slowed and indicated to pull into a gap about 1.5 car lengths amongst the cars which were queuing I wound down my window put my hand up to say sorry and tried to indicate that I was going left not trying to jump the queue as I was half in and half out of the lane.

The car behind me decided to pull across and try and go bumper to bumper with the car in front, effectively blocking me off and then squeezed up even more almost hitting the car - as my window was open I slapped the side of the car and told her to back off. She wound her window down and started mouthing off at me to which I responded. About 30 seconds later the lorry moved and I was able to resume down the bus lane and continue.

I've received a letter wanting me to contact the police about 'a traffic incident' the question is what are my rights? Ok I shouldn't have slapped the car and shouted back at her but she was literally driving at me and was going to hit my car - I don't think there is any cc tv there so I can't prove this but can she prove otherwise?

What should I do?

Cheers,

Pickle
Old 23 August 2007, 11:40 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what advice you are looking for?

You have been told to contact the police, I would do so.

I think you are in the wrong, nothing gives you right to be slapping other peoples cars.

I doubt much will come of it other than a ticking off.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InaPickle
Using an alias to protect the innocent.....

I need some advice, got a letter through from the police regarding a traffic incident.

Essentially, where I travel to work there two lane road ending up in a roundabout, right lane goes right on the roundabout and the left goes left, the left hand lane is a bus lane that operates after 8am. I usually take the left lane as I go left at the round about, there tends to be a queue in the right lane as it gets busy that way.

A few weeks ago I was coming down the road (it curves to the right about 250 yds before the round about) and just round the curve there was a lorry parked blocking the bus lane. I slowed and indicated to pull into a gap about 1.5 car lengths amongst the cars which were queuing I wound down my window put my hand up to say sorry and tried to indicate that I was going left not trying to jump the queue as I was half in and half out of the lane.

The car behind me decided to pull across and try and go bumper to bumper with the car in front, effectively blocking me off and then squeezed up even more almost hitting the car - as my window was open I slapped the side of the car and told her to back off. She wound her window down and started mouthing off at me to which I responded. About 30 seconds later the lorry moved and I was able to resume down the bus lane and continue.

I've received a letter wanting me to contact the police about 'a traffic incident' the question is what are my rights? Ok I shouldn't have slapped the car and shouted back at her but she was literally driving at me and was going to hit my car - I don't think there is any cc tv there so I can't prove this but can she prove otherwise?

What should I do?

Cheers,

Pickle
Just tell the truth, ie that you slapped her car to warn her that she was about to hit your car. Tell them that she started the shouting campaign which was also true. She would have to find an independent witness-not a passenger in her car to lay a successful complaint against you.

Les
Old 23 August 2007, 11:44 AM
InaPickle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

I think you are in the wrong, nothing gives you right to be slapping other peoples cars.
I know I shouldn't have don this, but I couldn't just sit there and let the person hit me! I didn't do any damage and used the flat of my hand....I didn't get out of the car and I was being racially abused!
Old 23 August 2007, 11:45 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Respond to their request, however you were in the wrong and should have waited till the cars allowed you to enter their lane rather than (what seem's to have been the case) forcing your nose into their lane, to create a gap.

Slapping, tapping or touching someone else's car is also rather silly, and you're lucky you weren't gievn a slap! I'm sorry if this isn't the answer you were expecting, but you were in the wrong and should take the consequences for your actions.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:45 AM
InaPickle
Scooby Regular

I'll give the police a call when i get home, but I just don't want to inadvertently drop myself in it.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:46 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I was being racially abused!
No, you we're being an idiot
Old 23 August 2007, 11:47 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I know I shouldn't have don this, but I couldn't just sit there and let the person hit me! I didn't do any damage and used the flat of my hand....I didn't get out of the car and I was being racially abused!
Bib your horn next time?

Anyway I'm not going to lecture you - Tell the police exactly what happened.

The best advice I can give you is not to ignore it.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:48 AM
InaPickle
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=DCI Gene Hunt;7203181]

Slapping, tapping or touching someone else's car is also rather silly, and you're lucky you weren't gievn a slap! QUOTE]

I know and I wouldn't have if I hadn't had the window down to wave a sorry and try and inidcate I was going left..... but I thought I was going to be hit.
Old 23 August 2007, 11:53 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt

Slapping, tapping or touching someone else's car is also rather silly, and you're lucky you weren't gievn a slap!

I know and I wouldn't have if I hadn't had the window down to wave a sorry and try and inidcate I was going left..... but I thought I was going to be hit.
Fella, its probably a genuine 'panic reaction' to what you thought was going to be a minor collision.... and that's what I would tell the police, along with the fact that you would like to apologise for any distress caused to the other driver involved.

Its not worth telling porkies as they may have CCTV or a second witness, and the fact that you're putting your hand up to it WILL go a long way! They'll probably tell you not to do it again and send you on your way.

But imagine the uproar if you were posting that some 'lad' had slapped your mothers/wifes/girlfriends car in the same way, would you be as understanding?
Old 23 August 2007, 11:59 AM
InaPickle
Scooby Regular

Yeah I know, I feel suitably ashamed....
Old 23 August 2007, 12:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

FFS what is this country and board coming to.

No one got hurt, no cars were damaged, it's just a bit of a misundertanding in traffic. The police are mad for even bothering with it and I hope once you contact them and explain the situation they tear up the complaint and get on wth some real policing.

No wonder law and order is in such a mess when they spend their time following up crap like this.

I wouldn't worry about it, contact them, explain the situation and in the very very unlikely event they take it further get a good solicitor and watch as he/she gets the case dropped before it even gets out of the starting blocks.

Unbelievable that this sort of crap can go on.
Old 23 August 2007, 12:03 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

"As I recall I lightly touched her vehicle with my hand when I was stationery to indicate that she was in danger of colliding with my vehicle" might be a softer response and would cover you if there is some CCTV grainy footage.
Old 23 August 2007, 12:08 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
FFS what is this country and board coming to.

No one got hurt, no cars were damaged, it's just a bit of a misundertanding in traffic. The police are mad for even bothering with it and I hope once you contact them and explain the situation they tear up the complaint and get on wth some real policing.

No wonder law and order is in such a mess when they spend their time following up crap like this.

I wouldn't worry about it, contact them, explain the situation and in the very very unlikely event they take it further get a good solicitor and watch as he/she gets the case dropped before it even gets out of the starting blocks.

Unbelievable that this sort of crap can go on.
I disagree, this country has a problem... and the grass routes of this problem is a complete lack of respect for other people and their property.
Old 23 August 2007, 12:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I disagree, this country has a problem... and the grass routes of this problem is a complete lack of respect for other people and their property.
You're damn right, but someone trying to close the gap on someone in traffic and then that other person 'slapping' their car is not exactly on a par with wanton vandalism, muggings, shootings etc. is it?
Old 23 August 2007, 12:12 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

You're damn right, but someone trying to close the gap on someone in traffic and then that other person 'slapping' their car is not exactly on a par with wanton vandalism, muggings, shootings etc. is it?
You're right as well, its not as extreme as those types of crime but it creates a culture that adopts them.
Old 23 August 2007, 12:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You're right as well, its not as extreme as those types of crime but it creates a culture that adopts them.
Well I sort of know what you are saying but this sort of thing has been going on for as long as I can remember. At the end of the day if she had just let him out then none of it would have happened.

Put it this way I have had the occasional incident in traffic over the years where words have been exchanged in the heat of the moment, but it hasn't made me want to mug or shoot anyone
Old 23 August 2007, 12:21 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Well I sort of know what you are saying but this sort of thing has been going on for as long as I can remember. At the end of the day if she had just let him out then none of it would have happened.

Put it this way I have had the occasional incident in traffic over the years where words have been exchanged in the heat of the moment, but it hasn't made me want to mug or shoot anyone
But you should allow for people like this, they're everywhere.... closing gaps while at a junction, on a slip road and my favorite; while you're overtaking!

But we don't (and shouldn't) assume we then have the right to touch their property, even though sometimes its tempting! We have to allow for these idiots, and if that means waiting an extra 30 seconds for the next car to flash you and allow you entry to their lane ... then so be it.

In light of this conversation (and the culture its creating) I now have an urge to shoot some ******
Old 23 August 2007, 12:37 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Do nothing at all, dont contact the Police what so ever, if its an issue they will come to you.

You will only get a Community support bobby on the phone telling you a load of cr#p about how you should behave and its not nice to slap a car with a poor defenceless woman (with a bad mouth) behind the wheel.

She will have said she 'felt threatened'

They are following procedure thats all, who says you got a letter anyway, lost in the post, Police never send anything recorded delivery.

Dont waste your time.
Old 23 August 2007, 12:39 PM
InaPickle
Scooby Regular

It was signed for by my wife this morning so I can't ignore it! Not that I would anyway...
Old 23 August 2007, 12:47 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Do nothing at all, dont contact the Police what so ever, if its an issue they will come to you.

You will only get a Community support bobby on the phone telling you a load of cr#p about how you should behave and its not nice to slap a car with a poor defenceless woman (with a bad mouth) behind the wheel.

She will have said she 'felt threatened'

They are following procedure thats all, who says you got a letter anyway, lost in the post, Police never send anything recorded delivery.

Dont waste your time.
Possibly the worst advice ever, since Eve told Adam "go on, take a bite"
Old 23 August 2007, 02:54 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Been in a similair position by riding a road legal quad bike, on a road by the way.

A motorist who had seen me pull up at my address complained to the Police, a letter arrived wanting a chat about an incident involving a quad bike being driven on the public highway.

The d#ckhead other driver didnt notice a great big number plate on the back.

I ignored the letter requesting a chat, to this day nothing has ever been done about it.

Play dumb and deny everything, its her word against yours, or go to a Police station and file your own complaint against her for what you would call dangerous driving.Play her at her own game.
Old 23 August 2007, 03:10 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I would be inclined to ignore it, or at the very least refuse to comment. On the assumption there are no witnesses the Police will be able to take no action anyway unless you incriminate yourself, which you could easily do in your conversation with the police officer.

Therefore I would write back to the police asking for more details of this "traffic incident" ie location and time. If questioned your response unless charged should be that you drove along that road at about that time, but thats all you are prepared to say.
Old 23 August 2007, 03:34 PM
InaPickle
Scooby Regular

I might try that - I don't want to incriminate myself incase she has made up some lies, espescially if there is no evidence either way. Also the letter was sent to my wife, who's car I was driving, so she could write back asking for more details??

I'll have a read through the letter when I get home and take it from there.

Pickle
Old 23 August 2007, 10:12 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Remember the alledged British Justice System - innocent until proven guilty !!!!

FFS don't do the cops job. Bin the letter ignore it there's f**k all they can do without witnesses - your word against hers.

Coppers writing to you telling you to ring them I'm f***in livid. Lazy bas****s. If there's something to answer to - which there isn't - let them get off their lazy fat ****'s and do some work for a change.

F***in coppers f***in useless.

Oh and my sister was married to a copper so I know just how true my opinions are

Get some ***** and act like a man !!!!!

Ok rant over - looks like nice weather for the weekend

Last edited by daddyscoob; 23 August 2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 23 August 2007, 10:22 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Just reply.

If there were any offences disclosed you'd have been told.

It's probably that the woman complained about you - possibly a road rage incident in her opinion.

PM me if you like.........
Old 24 August 2007, 07:55 AM
InaPickle
Scooby Regular

Right got home to have a look at the letter. It is addressed to my wife and is a request to know the identity of the driver at xx/xx/07 at such and such a time in connection with a traffic incident. They would like to know a contact number so that the policewoman can call said person.

I did call, but she wasn't on duty, so I will try again today after work - don't really want to call her in the office...

Cheers,

Pickle
Old 24 August 2007, 09:30 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Remember when calling you know nothing!
Old 24 August 2007, 09:41 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Or go there, tell them the story and throw in "she had what looked like a knife in her hand" so i slapped her car to make as much noise as possible hoping this would make her re-evaluate the situation.

Quick Reply: Help - traffic incident advice