Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sparkies - any decent support sites and tools?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2007, 09:43 PM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparkies - any decent support sites and tools?

On the net?? Or forums etc?

Also, what should my tool kit consist of? And wheres best place to buy gear from? May seem like a no brainer, but dont wanna get on site and be caught short, as it were!

Come on guys, help out a novice trying to break into it?

cheers
Paul
Old 10 September 2007, 09:56 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

If your just starting your training, turn up with none!

Watch what tools others need, what your having to ask for, then buy as you can afford them.

People will respect you more for that than turning up with all the gear and no idea!
Old 10 September 2007, 10:08 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thinking of the electrical work I've done - and bearing in mind that people have their own favourites that aren't necessarily 'right' or 'wrong': screwdrivers, cutters (large & small), long pointy pliers, big chunky pliers, wire strippers, stanley knife, multimeter, hammer, and a tool belt to keep it all in when you're up a ladder.

That should get you off to a good start - IMHO people are more likely to appreciate you not nicking all their tools than they are to take the p*ss
Old 10 September 2007, 10:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Forge Steel Electricians VDE Set 12Pc - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

I've just bought myself a Forge Steel toolkit in a free 15" toolbag, £25. Excellent quality tools, used 'em on the Scoob already.

Alcazar
Old 10 September 2007, 10:25 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

Dont be disapointed if it ends up being a waste of money. Personally I wouldnt get any tools untill you have a job.
Old 11 September 2007, 12:58 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

My kit:

Flat blade screwdriver (10000v insulated)
Philips screwdriver (10000v insulated)
Long nose pliers (10000v insulated)
Hack saw
Stanley knife
Monkey wrench

Seriously, thats what I had.

(actually, to this day the flat blade screwdriver remains stuck in the wall cavity at the church of latter day saints in Bham )
Old 11 September 2007, 08:13 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Why not ring who you will be working for and ask, I assume they know you are new to this?
Old 11 September 2007, 08:36 AM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

I aint working for anyone! I'm starting up on my own. I realise it will be a long slow process, but I'm a Project Manager so have that to cushion me (contracting) whilst things pick up. And a decent redundancy payout!!

I'm not a virgin, I've put on a plug before ;-)

Actually I've done kitchen electrics, wired me garage, installed 3 showers, and plenty of other bits so I can spin a screwdriver. Not confessing to knowing much more, hence the training.

I may even try to get an apprenticeship for 12 months, if I can afford it in the meantime....

Thanks for your help keep it coming, its all good!
Paul

ps Also I dont intend buying tools now or anything, I'm just thinking ahead of what I need to do, get etc.

How about insurance and that side of things?
Old 11 September 2007, 08:50 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonerp
I aint working for anyone! I'm starting up on my own. I realise it will be a long slow process, but I'm a Project Manager so have that to cushion me (contracting) whilst things pick up. And a decent redundancy payout!!

I'm not a virgin, I've put on a plug before ;-)

Actually I've done kitchen electrics, wired me garage, installed 3 showers, and plenty of other bits so I can spin a screwdriver. Not confessing to knowing much more, hence the training.

I may even try to get an apprenticeship for 12 months, if I can afford it in the meantime....

Thanks for your help keep it coming, its all good!
Paul

ps Also I dont intend buying tools now or anything, I'm just thinking ahead of what I need to do, get etc.

How about insurance and that side of things?
Am I getting this right, you have no formal qualifications, but you're going to start offering your services as a sparky? You do know about part P don't you?
Old 11 September 2007, 09:03 AM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

Thats why I'm doing the training so I have all the relevant qualifications/certs etc. I know the score, I've spent a long time looking into this.
I will start at college in oct and complete the 2381 dec; have to do the 17th ed revisions in jan; 2391 in jan to march. I;ve discussed this with the college and seems a good route to start off with. I know there are more courses and will look into these over the next few weeks before I start.
If I'm going wrong, this is why I'm asking the questions on here!!
Why not offer your experience instead of question what I'm doing???
I'm after some of your knowledge etc, not a lecture.
Old 11 September 2007, 09:27 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Thats why I'm doing the training so I have all the relevant qualifications/certs etc. I know the score, I've spent a long time looking into this.
I will start at college in oct and complete the 2381 dec; have to do the 17th ed revisions in jan; 2391 in jan to march. I;ve discussed this with the college and seems a good route to start off with. I know there are more courses and will look into these over the next few weeks before I start.
It wasn't a lecture it was a question, you hadn't mentioned the training and I was establishing that you were aware that you will need some formal qualifications before you can start selling your services as a sparky. It seems you have that point covered.
Old 11 September 2007, 09:54 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Olly, stop winding people up

Old 11 September 2007, 10:01 AM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

Im climbing off my high horse haha!

Sorry.

To me, this is a big deal so need to be sure what I'm doing is right. I cant afford to get it wrong - I'm 36 with a mortgage etc! Call me a late starter, but this is the first time I've actually known what my career path should look like!!

Paul
Old 11 September 2007, 10:34 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Im climbing off my high horse haha!

Sorry.

To me, this is a big deal so need to be sure what I'm doing is right. I cant afford to get it wrong - I'm 36 with a mortgage etc! Call me a late starter, but this is the first time I've actually known what my career path should look like!!

Paul
Well it sounds like you have the basics covered. Go on your courses, they should state what kit you need if they don't supply. If they do, see what you use and get similar when you're ready. As you know from your previous dablings, most things can be done with a couple of scredrives, some wire cutters and a stanley knife. Multimeters can be handy for fault diagnosis and they can vary from a 10's of pounds upwards. Then you start getting in to drills etc. In general I'd say buy the best you can afford if you're planning on making a living out of it
Old 11 September 2007, 12:57 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Can i ask where you found out about these training courses,always fancied it as a career myself but couldnt get an apprenticeship when i left school,but where i work we have an old electrician i help out with a lot unfortunately the work aint interested in sending me to college as would cost them more to train a new greenkeeper
Old 11 September 2007, 12:59 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

im a bit of a late starter too im 26 and a first assistant greenkeeper,ok job and money etc just think id like a change before i get too old to learn
Old 11 September 2007, 02:59 PM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

courses are through my local college in swindon 2381 was about £330, 23 91 was about £650. They advised on the courses - check your local colleges.
Old 11 September 2007, 05:58 PM
VoteConservative!
BANNED

I thought these days you have to be in an apprenticeship/adult improver employment to be able to get fully qualified!
Old 11 September 2007, 09:23 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VoteConservative!
I thought these days you have to be in an apprenticeship/adult improver employment to be able to get fully qualified!
scarily for a lot of things you dont,you go to college do stuff on paper then get sent into the big bad world hope everythings ok thats why we took someone on last year,qualified with Lv 2 in greenkeeping but didnt have a clue how to set machine heights or anything,everythin was done in a classroom
Old 12 September 2007, 11:46 AM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

thats what happens when we all voted conservative haha!! [me so funny]