Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moving House!

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 08:27 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving House!

Well folks after 16 weeks of conveyancing, surveys, mortgage applications and a house full of cardboard boxes, Friday will be the day that 'Mrs Abdabz to be' and I move house.
We're only moving 5 miles, the van is booked, a few mates have the day off to help...
Yesterday my mum started giving me tips for the day of the move; e.g. "make sure the first thing you unpack is a kettle and tea bags dear"

But what moving tips can you share? Any ideas; funny / serious / clever for the actual day of the move are welcome

Naturally, I'll report back on the Monday as to which were taken up and which were useful! But for now I need all the help I can get
Old 12 September 2007, 08:52 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If it applies to you - Treble check with agents and solicitors involved that all the finance stuff will go through exactly on time and you will get keys when you are supposed to. This avoids you and a big van sitting outside your new house whilst the agent with the keys is still down the pub.

If you have any gas cylinders from a b-b-q take them with you in the back of the car because the removal men won't (explosives).

Keep the removal guys sweet.

Your mum knows her stuff btw

Edit to add. If you have a lot of boxes mark them on top and side and keep a separate list of roughly what's inside them. Useful so you can tell the boys which room to put them in and for 2 years time when you find a mystery box in the attic.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 12 September 2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12 September 2007, 08:59 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having moved a few times in the past few years, some simple ones, really

Make sure your boxes are clearly marked with contents and put them in the correct room when you get there. Makes life much simpler when unpacking.

Also, try and set aside a room you wont be using straight away for all the items that don't immediately have somewhere to go. This way you have much more room in the other rooms as they are not cluttered up.

Lastly, get the big furniture items in to the new house first when its empty. If you are doing the move yourself, this means boxes in the van first (if one trip), furinture first if multiple trips.

It also means that when you are knackered later on, you're lifting small boxes and not heavy items.

When you get there, take a few minutes to plan your large item access.

If you have to take doors off to get bulky items through doorways, knock the pin out of the hinges rather than unscrew the whole hinge. In this regard, have a few basic tools to hand and not packed away.

Lastly, try and get something to cover the floors if you can, its amazing how much crap you'll walk in.

HTH
Old 12 September 2007, 09:57 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

best tip is dont move, it is too stressfull !!!

we did it in January this year we decided on a new build and did a part ex, everything was done in a 3 week timescale.

Good advice above about having a room set aside for stuff. We did and still havent finished sorting it (is now a gym room but still has a few boxes of "stuff")

Kettle, tea, coffee, milk is a must, and biscuits as said keep the removal people sweet, and also too many people really can get in the way

Maybe make some butties before you set off for your new property or pick up some pre packed stuff and snacks from the shops beforehand. Have a local takeaway number handy as you will have a takeaway on the evening.!!
Old 12 September 2007, 10:18 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

And it's a nice touch if you leave a bunch of flowers and a good luck note in your old house for the newcomers
Old 12 September 2007, 10:22 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Agree with jaytc, DON'T MOVE!

Failing that have a box with mugs, plates, cutlery, milk, sugar, tea, coffee, biccies and cake and keep it to one side. Keep the vacuum cleaner, cleaning stuff and cloths out for a last minute clean, pack them in the van last so that they're first out at the other end. We left our house spotless but the new one was absolutely filthy, had been lived in by a vicar too

Buy fresh baguettes, cheese, ham etc in the morning and knock up a load of grub to keep your workers happy at lunchtime.

Label all the boxes with the room that they're to be put in in the new house and briefly list the contents.

Don't let kids help! We had a neighbour's kid help us and she was given the task of putting stuff in the shed, after the move we opened the shed door and she'd just chucked it all in in a random heap right in front of the door blocking it completely.

Keep the phone number for the pizza delivery place handy ready for dinner in the evening, you won't feel like cooking!
Old 12 September 2007, 10:28 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When you're getting the house straight, DO ONE ROOM AT A TIME.

The place looks a bloody mess and seems daunting, so get one room completely straight and you'd be amazed at how easier things seem.

Get your bed made early - this way you know you have somewhere to crash when the day is over.

As to above comment about stress.... GETTING to the house move is stresful - MOVING can be a right laugh. Enjoy the day, expect things to go wrong - they do.

Oh, on a more 'practical' note:

As you walk out the door for the last time:

Walk around every room, check it is empty and close the door.
Do the meters. Write down the figures and leave a copy for the new owners. Keep one yourself and phone the util company as soon as.

You should have EVERYTHING except what you NEED on the day packed away and ready to go by the night before. The move day is just that: Move... not pack.

Good luck!
Old 12 September 2007, 10:35 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Just thought of another one, pack an overnight bag (or enough for two week holiday in my case) with toiletries, undies, clothes, shoes etc and keep in the car. I was still unpacking my clothes a month after the move. Actually that's a lie, I still have one bin liner full left unpacked and we moved in February
Old 12 September 2007, 11:23 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

All sounds good to me! Most of the suggestions back up what we were planning to do but it's good to hear them from others

As for "DONT MOVE", we want to, nay need to... I am actually looking forward to the physical effort on the Friday. It's all this planning and prep that's chaffing me!

I have just spent £40 on cleaning products for the new house as they are dog lovers and the house is very "doggy" . I have also been to the post office this morning and redirected my mail. I've also popped into the bank and changed address there from next week too

Blood pressure is probably about 200/190 at the moment. I think I'll get drunk tonight and cheer on England to help me relax
Old 12 September 2007, 11:32 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Blood pressure is probably about 200/190 at the moment
The actual move bit whilst physically exhausting is nowhere near as exhausting as the stress leading up to it! I was throwing Kalms and Night Kalms down my neck morning, noon and night in the build up to our move. The solicitors were useless and I had to chase, chase, chase and still we didn't exchange until very close to our moving date.

The best bit of the move for me was going and picking the keys up then putting them into the lock for the first time and realising that this lovely little cottage that we'd been after for over two years and had lost once was now ours. The relief was immense
Old 12 September 2007, 11:49 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

As people said, clearly mark boxes, have the "first access" box in the car that holds -

Kettle, mugs, tea / coffee and also first aid kit! Guaranteed some plasters will be needed!!

Also, remember to take gas / elec meter readings before you leave old house and also when you get to new house!

Good luck, i'm sure it'll all go well!
Old 12 September 2007, 12:01 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Oh - and don't forget those old soft **** mags that you've had since your school days and had to "store" under a loose floorboard when your truelove moved in with you.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:06 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Oh - and don't forget those old soft **** mags that you've had since your school days and had to "store" under a loose floorboard when your truelove moved in with you.
They have all gone in a "special box"

"Don't lift that one darling, it's really heavy... I'll put it in the loft"
Old 12 September 2007, 12:30 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

iammoving.com - home.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:41 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Mail re-direct...............
Old 12 September 2007, 01:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Your mum is right and I don't envy you.

Best of luck for an easy as possible day.

Les
Old 12 September 2007, 03:12 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris_c201
Mail re-direct...............
Cheers dude Spent £15 for 3 months of redirecting just this morning

As for christening the rooms - all in good time

Cheers for your best wishes I'll be offline from tomorrow till Monday when I erturn to the office... Moving the broadband is another task on the list
Old 12 September 2007, 03:48 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

dont mention broadband/bt

It took me over 3 months to get my line put in as they ran out of capacity at the exchange so had to upgrade it. Benefit though is a brand new line with a reliable 12mb connection even though I am about 1.3km away straight line distance

good point about the beds as well, first thing I did
Old 12 September 2007, 08:04 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

All good stuff above.

The two things I would say are important are meter readings of the old and the new house. You'll feel like you haven't time for it but it saves hassle later, and definitely get everyone in the chain, no matter how short to complete on a Thursday. All conveyancers/ solicitors are too busy on Fridays and yours might be the one that gets done at 4.30pm or not at all!

Best of luck!

Howard
Old 12 September 2007, 08:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If you are moving things yourself, rent a couple of dollies/trollies.

We had one of each of these:

The four wheeled one was great for moving the sofa and other long/bulky items. The upright one was very handy for moving the boxes around. Saves all that lifting lark.

Other advice would be turn off the water and electricity in the old place when you leave, plus check you turn it on at the new place. Rose first though the washing machine wasn't working in the new apartment until I flipped the shutoff valve next to it to turn the water on

If you have movers helping you and they are not friends or family then pay them well, offer them a cuppa when they turn up before things get started, it'll put them in a good mood. Offer another tea break a couple of hours in. Also, take a break yourself, don't wear yourself out as you'll end up getting towards the end and dropping something. Pop a couple of pro-plus and wash them down with a couple of cans of Red Bull
Old 12 September 2007, 10:43 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Good luck - most things seem to have been mentioned. We moved from England to Ireland end of Jan and did it ourselves ( with family help but no removal men).
Just be organised and stay calm. We had a great laff a big lorry two cars and eight people

Following week went back to England and moved my Mum over as she has come with us...

After this went back to England again to help my sister move ( only about 3 miles)and total nightmare - not organised and moved s**t that they should have taken to the dump over previous weeks

Last edited by daddyscoob; 12 September 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 13 September 2007, 08:09 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Right we seem fairly organised now, lots to do today but it's just last minute appliance packing, ringing utilities and defrosting a freezer etc...
We have me and 3 mates and a lwb transit for the lifting. 'Mrs Abdabz to be' and my mum on cleaning duties and small packing items.
All boxes and bags labelled clearly, free kfc lunch for the helpers and a kitty for their pub exploits tomorrow night (I'll be in with the lady admiring our new pad)...
Van doesnt need to be back until Sat at 11 which is cool and we got confirmation of exchange yesterday afternoon.
Sky are booked in for Monday to put in Sky+ (lost without it) and mates of mine who are carpet fitters and window fitters are due in next week to supply and fit their wares
Here's hoping for a good nights sleep tonight and an early start. The vendor of the place we're moving to emptied hers y'day/today and is giving us the keys first thing tomorrow so we can make an early start
<eek>
Old 13 September 2007, 08:01 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the move!
Old 02 October 2007, 01:58 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I moved house a few weeks back and its a royal pain..

The biggest tip I can give you is make sure you have time to clean up in your old house. We where still there when the land lord came round and there was hoovering and cleaning to do !

Pain in the bottom I can tell you!
Old 02 October 2007, 10:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im hopefully movin into our 2nd mortgaged place 20th oct.

not been a bad time so far,4 - 5 weeks s far,but no chains etc.

the house were going to needs carpet/decoratin,double glazin,new kitchen/bathroom driveway and re-wiring LOL,but it`ll be worth it,crap thing is,no time off work as i contract and the kids are home that week LOL

cool times ahead..........

Quick Reply: Moving House!