Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any cycle commuters on here? and whats a decent bike?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2007, 07:30 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any cycle commuters on here? and whats a decent bike?

Ran a little experiment on the way home from work tonight. It was an average drive home, nothing unusual about in the slightest.

I spent more time sitting in traffic either at junctions or at traffic lights than I did actually moving. Not good when you consider my commute is only 4 miles each way!

So in the attempt to get fit and looking at the above I recon that I will be quicker or equal cycling as taking the car and work have showers so not a problem about being sweaty all day.

So I now need a bike and here inlies my problem. I'm a bit out of touch with bikes these days, so need some advice on a reasonably decent 1.

In my day, makes like Kona, Specialized, Marin and trek were top dogs. My last bike was a Klien Attitude race.

Whats a chain set these days, back then the Deore range weren't bad, going up to XT for racers.

Now this will be a commuter with weekend pootles through woods, so I'm looking at an MTB.

So what make, chain sets etc should I be looking out for? I even think I still have my SPD pedals around somewhere.

Cheers
Si
Old 13 September 2007, 08:28 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

vfm a Spesh Hardrock disk pro. Throw a pair of semi-slicks on and away you go.
Thats taking a budget of circ. £500
What you got to spend?
My commute is 12 miles door to door. I use a road bike and it takes me 35mins (ish) I have a garmin Forerunner that says I avg. 21mph and the trip comp in the car has at worst said 24mph so not a hell of a lot in it really and I live rural. I hate sitting in traffic!!
Old 13 September 2007, 08:32 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Hadn't really given budget much though as I'm a bit out of touch with things.

Maybe 400 ish.
Old 13 September 2007, 09:25 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I've got something like this

Fuel EX 9

for my commute
Old 14 September 2007, 07:44 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Ive got a saracen hybrid, front suspension and seat suspension( getting older and cant take the bumps). Light weight frame, shimano gear change, nice bike I like it. Cost £300

Andy
Old 14 September 2007, 08:34 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

I use my Spesh Rockhopper with a set of lightweight wheels / semi slicks

12 miles each way usually at an average of about 18-20mph depending on weather.
Old 14 September 2007, 09:40 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I commute on a drop handlebar race bike but for me there are 2 reasons for doing so :
a) Distance to cover : 35 miles round trip. Doing this on an MTB-type bike would be slower and add unnecessary time to the journey
b) I race on a road bike so would prefer to ride this type of bike all the time.

On a shorter commute I'd go for something like a lightish MTB with smooth tyres : I have an mtb and noticed a big difference when I put lightly-treaded tyres on it for road riding.
All the big brands produce pretty decent models these days , Giant, Specialized, Marin, Cannondale etc : might just be a case of looking around for good deals. IMHO front suspension on a road-based MTB is a waste, disc brakes possibly a good thing (never used them - V-brakes are pretty good anyway).
As you had a Klein it sounds like all that you are not aware of is the current best brands, which may just be a case of deciding your budget and searching for what suits best for your wallet both at local bike shops and via internet.
Main thing is good frame and wheels, decent (as per above) tyres then whether you need disc brakes and the rest of the equipment is less important : 1 model up or down the level of groupsets is probably not a real big issue.

Trending Topics

Old 14 September 2007, 01:46 PM
nd17
Scooby Regular

for 4 miles each way plus the odd weekend ride out I'd reccomend a Marin Bolinas Ridge, good light weight frame and its a fairly upright riding position as opposed to a lot of the more aggresive angled MTB's, good for trails and daily commute, re tyres id just stick with the standard ones they come with as they are not full on off road knobblys but not slicks either so you dont have to worry about punctures if you do take it off the tarmac , and theyre fairly cheap , i dont work for marin i just owned one and it was a great all rounder
Old 14 September 2007, 02:26 PM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a Trek 6000 ...

TREK 6000 2008 : £500.00 : BIKES : Mountain Bikes - Front Suspension - Rocky Mountain Cycles

... would highly recommend it, lightweight, lockout forks (good for on road / uphill) ... and very capable off-road.
Old 14 September 2007, 03:00 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Deffo looking at a hard tail MTB.

Got to go looking at the weekend, just found out evans have a store on MK now
Old 14 September 2007, 03:56 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Sounds obvious but don't forget to budget in Helmet, decent lock, gloves, waterproof jacket, the list continues...
Old 14 September 2007, 04:02 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Don't worry I haven't Already have gloves, sod waterproof I'm gonna be sweating anyway. Bike lock is a must though.

Also found a lovely HID bike light