Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2007, 11:25 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay question non reciept of goods

Won an item on ebay and it hasn't arrived

The seller didnt offer postal insurance

Now he has agreed to make a claim upto the maximum of 32 quid, and send me this once he has recieved it from the Post Office

Is this normal, or should I expect a full refund

All done through paypal etc

Now the goods werent that much more than 32 quid, but postage cost was a tenner, and if he paypals me the money then I will take another hit due to paypal fees

Is this normal practise or should he take the hit by not offering or sending insured, or not covering for a higher value?

Ta
Old 18 September 2007, 11:47 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

The seller is responsible for delivery, no matter what they say. If youve paid through PayPal then (awful as they are) theyll refund you if the vendor cant prove delivery.
Old 18 September 2007, 12:52 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It will take a couple of months to get the cash back from the post office. He should refund you in full immediately and then chase the payout for himself.

As said above, the seller is responsible for delivery - end of. Can he prove he sent it with proof of postage/recorded delivery? He may just be trying it on.

You cannot be expected to pay for something that has never arrvied.

If he refuses to refund you just start a 'item not recieved' dispute with Ebay AND paypal.
Old 18 September 2007, 12:54 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

As above report it to paypal now. I have never had any probs using them. Paypal will ask him for proof of postage if he does not have it they will refund you.
Old 18 September 2007, 01:35 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

The terms of paypals seller's protection (laughable as they only really protect the buyer) are that the item must be posted by a trackable delivery method, which recorded delivery is not. He hasn't got a leg to stand on, make a claim through paypal.
Old 18 September 2007, 05:30 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Ive just double checked at the post office and they said it takes ages and if he threw the reciept away he wont get paid out

And it isnt down to me to lose out etc etc

He didnt offer any postal insurance only his standard rate of 1st class post of 34 quid insured
Old 18 September 2007, 08:56 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

As above, dispute it through PayPal Steve, then when the seller gets there money back from the post office they can keep it.

PayPal does seem to work quite well for the consumer and seller protection is a load of crap- I sold an event ticket a while ago, the buyer paid by PayPal. I posted it by special delivery and it was signed for by the buyer, but they instructed their bank to reverse the payment to PayPal.

Although I had seller protection, every time I replied to the claim I got an automated reply from PayPal to say I needed to do it from a recignised email address. I did this over a dozen times, then they finally today decided to refund the buyer- even though I'd categorically proved they'd had it.

I wrote a pissy email to PP today,

Unfortunately, we are unable to determine the nature of your inquiry. In order to better assist you, we need you to provide us with the buyer /seller's email address, along with a case number or other pertinent information pertaining to this case. We do apologize for any inconvenience.
...even though i included everything they are requesting in my compalint email!!!

I give up

Trending Topics

Old 18 September 2007, 08:59 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

No doubt he will take a pissy when I open up a claim through paypal & ebay and no doubt get negative feedback

Thanks Simon

Did you get my PM about Dale
Old 18 September 2007, 09:02 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Sonic'
No doubt he will take a pissy when I open up a claim through paypal & ebay and no doubt get negative feedback

Thanks Simon

The Ebay/Paypal system is open to abuse unfortunately.
Old 18 September 2007, 09:05 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'

Thanks Simon

If paypal find in your favour and he gives you neg feedback you can have it removed.
Old 18 September 2007, 09:11 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Non receipt is a bona fide reason for disputing your payment, and the seller will be as concerned about neg feedback as you- usually.
Old 19 September 2007, 08:02 AM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default I

Buy an sell things on ebay and sorry but I cant agree with the seller is responsible for the parcel once its been posted, the post office (royal mail)are responsible. As for no insurance you dont have to offer it and I dont always it really depends on the value of the item, but if your that way inclined then you should make a point of asking.
You wont believe the amount of people who get an absolute steal of a bargain then moan about the postage for christ sake the costs are set at the start so why ask for a reduction so adding insurance is usually ignored anyway.
Old 19 September 2007, 08:57 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

No one is moaning about postage

The Seller is responsible for sending the goods in a manner that they see fit to cover the goods, as it is the seller who has to make any claims for damage/non delivery etc *not* the buyer

Example, I sold something the other day on ebay, to a person in Italy, so I went to the post office, was concerned something might happen to it so I paid for priority air mail, insured upto 80 pounds, signed for

The postage charged in the sale has covered this, and I have taken precautions to ensure that if something does happen I can claim back the value of the goods

THAT is MY responsibility as a Seller, if you dont offer insurance as a seller then more fool you if you have to make a claim, as it is you that loses out
Old 19 September 2007, 09:34 AM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default As

I stated in my post it depends on the value cause I send all my parcels by registered post and there are reasons for this, it covers most low value items insurance wise and it ensures that no one can say they have received the goods as they have to be signed for. As a seller the postage is always left open as an OPTION, therefore if the buyer wants extra insurance they can request it and pay it.
My reason for mentioning postage before ye get on ye soapbox is because people moan about the cost when its all part of the pre-determined costs of selling the item.
Old 19 September 2007, 09:50 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

why should the buyer request the extra postage if it is not offered as a service, like I have said previously it is there for the sellers protection not the buyers

It is the seller who has to make a claim to recover his/her costs not the buyer, the buyer does not have this information so therefore cannot make a claim with the postal service

Not getting on my soapbox, but NO ONE is moaning about postage costs, that isn't the reason for this thread
Old 19 September 2007, 10:15 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

i never use insurance and have lost out a few times as the seller (never enough to make me bother with insurance though!)

if i buy something i want it to get to me.....lost in post is not my concern. So as a seller, on the odd occasion someone claims it hasnt arrived i have paid out straight away.
Old 19 September 2007, 11:18 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

its like pulling teeth getting money off the post office!

to be honest £10 for postage he could of send the item special delivery for that price. as for the item not turning up you can report him to paypal for not getting the item but if your not really that bothered you can just claim with the post office, you can download the form online fill it in and send it to your local sorting office which will be in st helens town centre wont it???
Old 19 September 2007, 11:42 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
its like pulling teeth getting money off the post office!

to be honest £10 for postage he could of send the item special delivery for that price. as for the item not turning up you can report him to paypal for not getting the item but if your not really that bothered you can just claim with the post office, you can download the form online fill it in and send it to your local sorting office which will be in st helens town centre wont it???
Surely you'd need receipts etc, which only the sender would have access to?
Old 19 September 2007, 12:08 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If he has a receipt,be it proof of postage etc he can win,if royal mail ost the parcel,its royal mails fault,not urs or the seller,simple.
Old 19 September 2007, 12:16 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Not so. Proof of posting shows that he posted something, he needs to establish that the item was delivered. The transaction isnt completed until the buyer has the item, irrespective of the feeble disclaimers the vendors attempt to hide behind.
Old 19 September 2007, 01:55 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

as I posted above, even that seems to count for nothing as far as PayPal are concerned....

dispute it and let the buyer sort it out.
Old 19 September 2007, 06:07 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well, i had a genuine proof of receipt,not signed for,buyer didnt want to pay for that,so sent it normal delivery,he said he never got it,filed a complaint etc.

when asked by ebay to provide proof of postage,i did and they found in my favour, as i say, i posted it,if royal mail lost it,not my problem.

ebay found the same way
Old 19 September 2007, 11:14 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

This happened to me however I was the seller,
I sent an xbox and games, didn't use recorded deivery etc due to the huge postal cost, and the buyer said it never arrived, still not convinced he was lying to this day, never had anything get lost before.
Anyway I gave a fullr refund and claimed through Royal mail, got their max compensation of £34 but the buyer paid £50, you live and learn, but IMO the seller should refund.