Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2007, 11:29 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autotrader Scam

Hi- got this email from an ad on Autotrader

Hi,

It's still for sale. I must apologise for the delay in response, but I'm literally overwhelmed by the amount of interest. I have recently relocated to Czech Republic for business. The BMW is here as well. I can and will arrange transportation to UK.

As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. But since it's a right hand drive car, not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still UK registered did not help either. Genuine reason for sale: my business didn't work out the way I planned. Due to amount involved, I only accept bank transfers or third party transaction mediator.

I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle. The car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition. I am willing to let the 2006 BMW 320d M SPORT TOURER AUTO go for £ 12,970 GBP.

Please get back to me and let me know if you wish to proceed on this basis.
Cheers!
Kevin.

Do you think its a scam???!!!???!?!

This is the 3rd email I've received for cars advertised on Autotrader that I've enquired about. They give UK tel numbers that ring and ring (phone boxes I'm assuming...). Can anyone be so stupid to fall for this stuff? And I wonderwhat Autotrader are doing to protect people against these sort of scams???
Old 19 September 2007, 11:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want it - I'll have it at that price!!

Wow!!
Old 20 September 2007, 03:30 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

The amount of scam ad's on autotrader is unbelievable

I've been looking for a car for a while and have started to notice them a lot. Sometimes you can spot its a scam quite easily as they'll be advertising a car like a 530d and have pics of an 535d or M5 or something, but other times you can only tell when you call the number and find its not a valid number... so you have to email them.
Old 20 September 2007, 08:47 AM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Pete I would have it at that price too!! But I don't trust it to be sent from the Czech Republic....!!!!
Old 20 September 2007, 08:59 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by princessyin
Pete I would have it at that price too!! But I don't trust it to be sent from the Czech Republic....!!!!
I've sent them the Transportation costs of £2750 ..... hope to see it at the docks in 21 days time ..... BARGAIN!
Old 20 September 2007, 12:41 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Damn Pete beat me to it, that is a bargain and not a scam, you can tell it's not a scam as the seller has put the FULL model code down like you would in any response to an e-mail and doesn't look like <insert model here> ...
Old 20 September 2007, 02:51 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

lol- was looking at an Audi A4 that had exactly the same email but from some woman instead of 'Kevin'.

Does anyone fall for this ****e?