Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2007, 10:47 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Being a Police officer in the UK

Being a Police officer in the UK

Question:

How do you tell the difference between a British Police Officer an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

Answer:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock .40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.

What do you do?

UK POLICE OFFICERS Answer :

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?

Could we run away?

What does my wife think?

What about the kids?

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?

What does the law say about this situation?

Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?

Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?

Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?

If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?

Should I call 999?

Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behaviour.

If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed when he falls over running away, knocks his head and kills himself?
If I shoot him, and lose the court case does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and I will lose my family home?

AUSTRALIAN OFFICERS Answer:

BANG!

AMERICAN OFFICERS Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click.... (Sounds of reloading) BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Dad! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips?"
Old 20 September 2007, 10:50 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol I will pass that on to Jared who is a friend and a cop in the USA, he will love that
Old 20 September 2007, 10:55 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

From this, do we conclude that youd like to see British police officers armed Chris? Consider that most of them would be regarded as 'unsuitable' if they applied for armed training now.
Old 20 September 2007, 10:57 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
From this, do we conclude that youd like to see British police officers armed Chris? Consider that most of them would be regarded as 'unsuitable' if they applied for armed training now.
oh yes arm all of them , especially the ones just out of training
Old 20 September 2007, 10:57 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

From this I would more read he has cut and pasted a joke which he found humour in, and maybe poking a little fun at the quick draw attitude, and keep shooting til the job is done attitude of the USA police.

With a little pop at the pathetic red tape that surrounds the actions and decisions of UK Police officers.

Just my opinion of course.

**Oops**

As for firearms training, does this mean you do NOT appove of having armed police officers in the UK?
Most did not apply with firearms in mind, nor were recruited for firearms training, so yup your right............. But.... IMO there is a need for armed officers in this country, just like every other country.
Situations got more dangerous, we gave them sprays for incapacitating.
Car theives targetted faster cars, our forced armed the officers with faster cars...
Gangs regularly carry guns.... The UK expanded CO19..... slightly, but the coverage is POOR!

Anyway, back to the joke lol

Last edited by Snazy; 20 September 2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 20 September 2007, 10:58 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

So long as you werent serious then
Old 20 September 2007, 10:59 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

So long as you werent serious then
well ding dang doodly...cheers thanks for been so understanding

plank

Trending Topics

Old 20 September 2007, 11:00 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

In these infraction-aware times, you should address me as Mr Plank.
Old 20 September 2007, 11:04 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

infract away dear fellow, though be warned I am "tooled up"
Old 20 September 2007, 11:34 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol I will pass that on to Jared who is a friend and a cop in the USA, he will love that
He can read?
Old 20 September 2007, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good one Swiss, I enjoyed that.

I live near a reasonably sized town and today I went to the police station to enquire about lost property only to find that it is closed all day on Thursdays!

This is getting beyond a joke now.

Les
Old 20 September 2007, 11:55 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

So funny but very true

The police in this country are "soft"
Old 20 September 2007, 12:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Good one Swiss, I enjoyed that.

I live near a reasonably sized town and today I went to the police station to enquire about lost property only to find that it is closed all day on Thursdays!

This is getting beyond a joke now.

Les
actually that particular police station is closed on thursdays, a trendy wine bar on tuesdays and all weekend it doubles up as a immigrant centre.

Old 20 September 2007, 12:03 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
He can read?
Chuckle chuckle, yes he can. He worked at IT support for the LSE before going home to the USA

Here is his repsonse..

The same joke but with the american flip on it..

hahahahhahahahahahahaha!!

How about this one:

There is a violent criminal running away from the scene of a murder. This is how different departments respond:

NYPD:

"Stop or i'll shoot!"
BANG BANG BANG

LAPD

BANG BANG BANG

London Met Police

"Stop! Stop please!!!! Stop or i'll blow my whistle!!!!"
Old 20 September 2007, 12:08 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrx-kris
So funny but very true

The police in this country are "soft"
Try telling that to Jean Charles de Menezes !!
Old 20 September 2007, 12:13 PM
N1gel 1970
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx-kris

The government in this country are "soft"
Edited for accuracy
Old 20 September 2007, 12:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I think that just highlights the "cant please me" attitude of the british public tbh.

On one hand they are too soft, then are heavy handed and make a mistake.

It was sad to see an innocent man die, but in the same breath it was tragic to see so many more die on tubes and buses.

Mistakes will always happen, wrongful arrest, right through to the above.
But in the every day policing of this country, guns are becoming more and more a requirement.

Example.

I was "somewhere" the other night, and witnessed a shooting. I tracked the person, and met an unmarked unit on the way. We were then told to sit tight and await a trojan unit..... 10 mins later it arrived, shooter nowhere to be seen.
More armed officers would have resulted in an almost immediate stop, an arrest, a gun off the streets, and a potential killer off the streets too.

btw, the above is not made up. Just not gonna go into too much detail.
Old 20 September 2007, 12:21 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I

Example.

I was "somewhere" the other night, and witnessed a shooting. I tracked the person, and met an unmarked unit on the way. We were then told to sit tight and await a trojan unit..... 10 mins later it arrived, shooter nowhere to be seen.
More armed officers would have resulted in an almost immediate stop, an arrest, a gun off the streets, and a potential killer off the streets too.

btw, the above is not made up. Just not gonna go into too much detail.
So it's the fault of not having enough police with guns or is it the existing police not being able to keep tabs on the whereabouts of a person with a gun for 10 minutes?
Old 20 September 2007, 12:23 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

how about arming the UK police with tickling sticks then ?
Old 20 September 2007, 12:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

So it's the fault of not having enough police with guns or is it the existing police not being able to keep tabs on the whereabouts of a person with a gun for 10 minutes?
Police policy is for unarmed/protected officers NOT to engage a known armed person.....

So you tell me, which is it?

I know what I think.
Old 20 September 2007, 12:25 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Police policy is for unarmed/protected officers NOT to engage a known armed person.....

So you tell me, which is it?

I know what I think.
Who said anything about engaging him?
Old 20 September 2007, 12:25 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I think that just highlights the "cant please me" attitude of the british public tbh.
I think its more the 'don't kneel on my chest and shoot me' attitude of the law-abiding public really !
Old 20 September 2007, 12:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Who said anything about engaging him?
I think a uniformed officer following a man at jogging pace, through a network of roads etc would be considered engaging, dont you?
Or would it just be coincidence.

Given the mentality of a person who has just let off a shot in public, then fled the scene, I dont think the Met H&S would like their officers "following" him.
Old 20 September 2007, 12:29 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

With regards to guns - Basically there should be a change in the law that says carrying a firearm means you get 10 years inside. From age 14.

Looking after it for soemone else? Tough - 10 years. Found it on the street? Tough - 10 years.

We need to make it absolutely not worth the risk of carrying a firearm in public.

The same applies to knives - Caught carrying a knife in public - 10 years. (obviously there would need to be some devices made for knives that are bought for domestic - some sort of plastic casing that once removed cannot be put back on - so that shops can sell knives for genuine reasons)
Old 20 September 2007, 12:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I think its more the 'don't kneel on my chest and shoot me' attitude of the law-abiding public really !
Given the job of stopping a person who you have been informed by intelligence (wrongly in this case) is carrying a suicide bomb. Given instructions to neutralise them..... sadly its kinda what they were instructed to do in the given situation.

Im not saying it is right, nor the right amount of force, but they were trained to do a job, told to carry it out... and did so.

had it been a bomber and he had been left to board a train killing 50+ people, they would have been criticized for NOT neutralising him.
Old 20 September 2007, 12:31 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

How come the suspect wasn't tracked by helicopter ? If a gunshot goes off around here, the police helo is straight on the scene
Old 20 September 2007, 12:32 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

With regards to guns - Basically there should be a change in the law that says carrying a firearm means you get 10 years inside. From age 14.

Looking after it for soemone else? Tough - 10 years. Found it on the street? Tough - 10 years.

We need to make it absolutely not worth the risk of carrying a firearm in public.

The same applies to knives - Caught carrying a knife in public - 10 years. (obviously there would need to be some devices made for knives that are bought for domestic - some sort of plastic casing that once removed cannot be put back on - so that shops can sell knives for genuine reasons)
Could not agree more.
Sadly though, the police need the facilities and training to deal with these every day occurances, and the ability to take these people and weapons off the streets.
Old 20 September 2007, 12:32 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Yes, but if all police are armed and allowed to shoot everyone will learn to stop running when the police shout stop or i'll shoot. In the UK when people hear that they automatically think the police are bluffing.

I know if I were in the States on holiday and a police officer pointed a gun at me and said stop or i'll shoot it would be like i were set in concrete.

Thats the difference, even visitors to the states know not f*@K with their police. Opposed to visitors to the UK know they can do what they want because our police will do nothing.
Old 20 September 2007, 12:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
How come the suspect wasn't tracked by helicopter ? If a gunshot goes off around here, the police helo is straight on the scene
I would have thought the same, but being South London, and the availability of the helicopter, CO19 officers etc. I think they would rather know where he was and get armed officers there, before alerting him to the fact he was being followed.

London gets quite a few armed incidents daily, hence the CO19 cars constantly flying about all over the place.

All comes down to availability I guess.
Old 20 September 2007, 12:34 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I think a uniformed officer following a man at jogging pace, through a network of roads etc would be considered engaging, dont you?
Or would it just be coincidence.

Given the mentality of a person who has just let off a shot in public, then fled the scene, I dont think the Met H&S would like their officers "following" him.

Why follow him on foot? why not in a vehicle? Or several vehicles? Of in the air?

I don't buy at all that he wasn't apprehended purely because armed response teams were not available for 10 minutes - It certainly doesn't convincingly win the argument that police should be armed in general.

Gun breed guns. It's been seen over and over again. We do not want to go down this road, and thankfully, I don't beleive we will

Quick Reply: Being a Police officer in the UK