Tragic

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2007, 01:20 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tragic

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Police defend drowning death case

But how can the mother blame the Police when she's let her 8 and 10 year old kids out playing on their own next to a pond?
Old 21 September 2007, 01:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hmm....

I think if either of them had been able to swim then they should have gone in without question. Surprising that the coroner didn't call them and ask them a few relevant questions. Sad.
Old 21 September 2007, 02:00 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Hmm....

I think if either of them had been able to swim then they should have gone in without question. Surprising that the coroner didn't call them and ask them a few relevant questions. Sad.
Yeah if i was in that position I would have gone in, but you can't prosecute the officers if they were following protocol.. However tragic!
Old 21 September 2007, 02:02 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Police defend drowning death case

But how can the mother blame the Police when she's let her 8 and 10 year old kids out playing on their own next to a pond?
Fair comment but you can't be everywhere all the time as a parent, kids have died in garden ponds in their own houses. But you can educate and teach your kids about dangers and dangerous activities.
Old 21 September 2007, 02:15 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

When I was 8 I was playing in ponds and stuff catching frogs etc, you cant blame the parents but I do find it strange the officers refusing to help
Old 21 September 2007, 02:18 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

The first rule of first aid/rescue is not to put yourself in danger, there's no point trying to be a hero and ending up as another casualty, because then you can't help anyone
Old 21 September 2007, 02:18 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Typical really, the police are absolutely gutless in this country.

I wonder how well they will sleep at night knowing they could of EASILY saved this young boys life - but turned the other way.

I'm disgusted

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2007, 02:22 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

They didnt turn the other way they called for trained support

I totally agree with their actions and blame no-one for this tragic accident.

I would yell for help and call for help if I saw someone of any age drowning as I am too weak a swimmer to save a life... I would have done exactly the same as the officers.
For the family to blame them, I guess it's part of their greaving process and once they get past blame, they will apologise to the officers concerned who did all they were able to to save the poor child.
Old 21 September 2007, 02:25 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

It was only 6ft deep. Wasnt a resevoiur or lake. Im not laying blame but I think it is a little sickening that 2 adults stood by and watched knowing that radioing for trained support is useless by the time they could have arrived.
Old 21 September 2007, 02:28 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Did they know it was 6 feet deep? I dont know about you lot but I tend to leave my measuring stick at home unless I know I will need it?
Seriously, if it wasnt documented that they did know the depth, then I presume they didnt know the depth and here we have a case of hindsight being a most wonderful tool...
Old 21 September 2007, 02:28 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

So would you prefer them to have gone in and drowned, leaving 3 grieving families instead of 1?
Old 21 September 2007, 02:31 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Sorry abudabu but I think your wrong. An adult (especially a figure of authority) should have been on the front line rescuing the child, but they didn't which makes them cowards in my book.
Old 21 September 2007, 02:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you read the story it say that the alarm was raised after the little girl was rescued, does that mean the CPSO's were not even there initially. Why get into the water when there are two anglers rescuing anyway. As stated the First Rule of First Aid is self preservation.

I too played in ponds, resevoirs and lakes etc as a kid. But I was never involved in a tragic accident like this.
Old 21 September 2007, 02:32 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
So would you prefer them to have gone in and drowned, leaving 3 grieving families instead of 1?
Would you have just stood and watched too then? Do you have any kids?

Didn't think so
Old 21 September 2007, 02:36 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx-kris
Would you have just stood and watched too then? Do you have any kids?

Didn't think so

I honestly don't know, thankfully i've never bene in that situation, and hopefully never will be.

I do know that as a police officer, you are specifically told not to attempt water rescues though.

Do you think it was easy for them to stand on the side and watch? I'm sure they were ordered by the control room not to go in
Old 21 September 2007, 02:40 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spinless fcukwits all those pco's do round here is threaten to fine people for parking offences
Old 21 September 2007, 02:42 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Anyone who could have jumped in and didn't is a waste of space. Even if you were told "don't jump in" you would still do it - like an intuition sort of thing... (if that makes sense?)
Old 21 September 2007, 02:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Firstly it is an indication of the waste of time and our money by employing CSO's who were created simply as a cheap substitution for a real police officer purely to try and con us into believing there was a greater police presence on the streets.

Secondly it also shows the abrogation of their duties by the authorities to defend the people of this country from harm.

It is like not allowing the police to attend disturbances until it has subsided on grounds of Health and Safety.

They won't allow the Army into war zones next!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 21 September 2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 21 September 2007, 02:52 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

is this REALLY the way sky news, etc are saying?

i read it that the kids were in trouble, alarm raised, fisherman help out the girl, boy sinks, cops arrive.....they now have reports that a kid has sunk and thats a LOT different to seeing him there bobbing about yelling for help.

you cant expect anyone to start diving to the bottom of a lake to get the body of someone.
Old 21 September 2007, 02:56 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

this from the BBC "Anglers managed to pull Bethany out but Jordon was out of sight before they could get to him.

The alarm was raised and the PCSOs arrived on the scene. Police said they could see no sign of Jordon in the water, so they radioed trained officers for help. "

Thats a VERY different story to "COPS WATCH KID DROWN!"
Old 21 September 2007, 02:57 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx-kris
Sorry abudabu but I think your wrong. An adult (especially a figure of authority) should have been on the front line rescuing the child, but they didn't which makes them cowards in my book.
No worries Krisudabu, apology accepted
Old 21 September 2007, 06:05 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I don't think they should be blamed but what would they have done had it been one of their kids they were called out to?
Sure as hell they would have dived in, I would and I'm pretty sure anyone else would have., orders or not.

They'll be holding Lifeboats back next because it's 'blowing a bit of a breeze'.

I blame NL.
Old 21 September 2007, 06:29 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

dived in and done what? they arrive AFTER he sunk, he's now (according to the people there) somewhere under the water....what do they do, trawl through the silt and mud at the bottom of a lake for someone thats (probably) already dead?

This wasnt a kid on surface calling for help.
Old 21 September 2007, 06:32 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Head line should have read, Mother allows children to play near dangerous water filled pit, Because her child drowns can we please blame everybody else.but the mum who is supposed to be the main carer.
Reminds me of the Mc Canns, if they had took the children out with them then nothing would have happened
Old 21 September 2007, 06:34 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

So even if the kid is at the bottom you wouldn't even try and have a go?
Shame.
Old 21 September 2007, 07:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Amazing, yet another police fault thread eh.

So many questions, but so many have good answers.

There are some very sensible posts on here, mainly from people who have actually thought the whole matter thru.

Its laughable really, so many hypocrites, again not knowing the full detail but assuming that someone is wearing a uniform so should know what to do and WILL be able to do it.

Scenario, your passing over a bridge, you see a crowd of 40+ people and are randomly flagged down. You get out of your car and are told by one of the onlookers that there is an unconcious man, face down in the water, floating down river. He has fallen 40ft from the bridge.

Why the hell should there be FORTY people all watching.

The date, about 8 years ago, location Vauxhall Bridge, London, over a lil stream called the Thames.

If forty full grown adults can simply watch, as one person (me) went in after him...... Why cant 2 PCSO's fear for their life, or make better judgement than to go into the water?

How about a better spin.... "Anglers dont try hard enough to save both kids" Bit unfair that one too.

Its tragic, but an every day reality.
Old 21 September 2007, 07:13 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

As I said before, I don't think they should be blamed.
It just boils down to that thing called 'human nature', proper training or not.
Old 21 September 2007, 07:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Heard this on R5 Live.

Tragic as said.

Apparently the boy held the little girl with her head above the water until she was rescued, he was fully submerged and slipped away, a real brave selfless little boy - RIP.

The whole episode is very, very sad.

Last edited by The Zohan; 21 September 2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 21 September 2007, 07:21 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
So even if the kid is at the bottom you wouldn't even try and have a go?
Shame.
Have a go at what? This isnt a swimming pool, you cant see the bottom and he's dead long before those cops got there. What do you want them to do? Jump in and start diving to the bottom (an unknown depth at that time) and start some sort of grid pattern until they locate the body?

If it where my kid of course i'd go in, i'd also run into a buring building for them...doesnt mean i expect anyone else to risk their life so foolishly.
Old 21 September 2007, 07:25 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

The alarm was raised and the PCSOs arrived on the scene. Police said they could see no sign of Jordon in the water, so they radioed trained officers for help. "

Thats a VERY different story to "COPS WATCH KID DROWN!"
That was my understanding following tonights BBC News....

Head line should have read, Mother allows children to play near dangerous water filled pit, Because her child drowns can we please blame everybody else.but the mum who is supposed to be the main carer.
Reminds me of the Mc Canns, if they had took the children out with them then nothing would have happened
I was thinking along those lines too

Quick Reply: Tragic