Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cordless phone question.....

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2007, 05:31 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cordless phone question.....

..........my Grandma is a decent age now and her body don't work like it used to. She had a fall last week and spent the night on the floor as her phone was down stairs. We have suggested putting a cordless phone in for her so there are various handsets around the house. The problem is that her phone socket ain't anywhere near a plug socket which means either running power to the phone with a wire or running a wire from the phone socket to some power. Now Grandma is quite a stubborn and won't entertain either idea, and she ain't someone to cross Are there any options out there? The ideal thing would be to have a cordless phone base station which doesn't require power - but i guess such a thing doesn't exist
Old 22 September 2007, 05:45 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobile phone? on PAYG.

Failing that a monitored alarm with a remote panic fob that gran will have to wear.

Or try and convince your gran that it's either what you get her (a cordless phone with an extension lead) Or having to entertain spending more nights on the floor...and tell her the choice is hers to make.
Old 22 September 2007, 05:54 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Good advice, but she is a tough old stick
Old 22 September 2007, 07:48 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

....i asked my old Man if she'd go for it but he say's no
Old 23 September 2007, 12:42 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Phone up Age Concern (Google) and ask their advice.

I got my dear old mum an alarm on a cord that she was supposed to wear around her neck. But she never did and left it on the bedside table. And yes - she fell over bust her hip and spent a couple of hours on the floor in pain.

BUT........ You can run several standard phones from a socket using extended phone leads without the need for a power socket? Might not look tidy but at least you can have phones in different areas. d
Old 23 September 2007, 12:50 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

If you want it to be a cordless phone from the landline, then you can very easily and very neatly run a phone line from the phone jack to the base station along the skirting, and you'd never know it was there...... Just tack it every few feet. 10 quid at Argos and you'll have everything you need to do a pro looking job, and if you get Grandma out for the afternoon and do it, she'll probably never even notice the cable!

Medical alarm is the best idea but unsure of cost......
Old 23 September 2007, 09:41 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

My nanna has the alarm thing that she wears around her neck. I know what you mean about stubborn thought - it took a while to drum into her to keep it on and not leave it on a table.
I thought you could buy cordless phones which come with multiple base units too - is it possible to have a base unit in her bedroom, kitchen and lounge for example so she can keep the handset with her and plonk it into the nearest base unit when it needs charging?
Old 23 September 2007, 10:07 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Thanks for all the help everbody. My Grandma is a very proud woman and won't have any sort of dongle round her neck. I think 2000TLondon has the only viable suggestion with the cable tacked to the skirting board
Old 23 September 2007, 10:38 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Do try and get her to keep something on her person, an alarm or a phone of some sort - maybe in a pocket or something if she won't wear it around her neck. The trouble is if she tips over she really may not be able to shuffle across the room to reach a phone. I take it she is out of earshot of someone if she gets into trouble? I assume you have thought of a good old whistle dl
Old 23 September 2007, 11:09 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

We ran flat phone leads around the house before the Digital linked phones became available. You really can't see the wires at all. We pulled up the carpet and ran the cable alongside the gripper rods (easy to get to if you need to)

We had phones next to power outlets and the cables only seen when they pop up out the carpet

We now have four phones in the house linked back to the base station and one discrete cable from the master socket.

I guess you're looking at the trio and quad DECT handsets then?

Something like: MOTOROLA MOTOROLA 7060-3 DIGITAL TELEPHONE ANSWER MACHINE - 3 HANDSETS from Laskys