Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No room in jails unless you're a motorist

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2007, 01:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

When child molesters can escape jail and speeder go to jail then you reallyhave to look at the whole judicial system and those who work on and within it.

There is something terribly wrong with a system that let's a man who abused children as young as 18 months old go free and then jails a speeding motorist who did not harm or injure anyone!

How can we be releasing drug dealers and robbers ealry to free up prison spaces that then get used like this - what a ******!
Old 24 September 2007, 01:43 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

It will be a long time before anyone breaks his record though
Old 24 September 2007, 02:22 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

It is illegal to drive at 172mph, and that is taking the p1ss.

In reality you know if you are caught at that speed you know they'll charge you with dangerous driving which can carry a custodial sentence. And he was a complete idiot by the sound of it as he drove past the police at that speed. To be honest I don't want someone that daft out on the road driving at those speeds!

Obviously there are lots of problems with our justice system, but I don't think this driver going down for those circumstances is bad.......

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 24 September 2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 24 September 2007, 02:23 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The title on the Sky site is a bit misleading... I thought he'd lost control of it at that speed
Old 24 September 2007, 02:26 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The bloke sounds a right tw*t, it wasn't even his car, I'm glad he went to jail, I agree that our justice system is screwed, but it doesn't mean that other people who deserve to go to prison shouldn't!

And he's banned for 3 years!
Old 24 September 2007, 02:31 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

He looks a right geek! I bet his own car is an Impreza
Old 24 September 2007, 02:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
The issue isn't the fact he is a **** and deserves it, its the fact the justice system sees this crime of more of a risk to society than muggers, burglars and many other types of crime. That is wrong, very wrong.

I don't think that's actually true is it?

I think you should test it out, put your money where your mouth is so to speak. Go and mug someone, get yourself caught, and see if you end up in Prison.

To be fair, this is an extreme case - it was always going to end up with a jail term
Old 24 September 2007, 02:48 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The issue isn't the fact he is a **** and deserves it, its the fact the justice system sees this crime of more of a risk to society than muggers, burglars and many other types of crime. That is wrong, very wrong.

You could use that argument for anyone who's sent to jail for anything less serious than mugging though, it makes no sense!

Just because some muggers have wrongly got off, doesn't mean we can't jail anyone else.
Old 24 September 2007, 02:59 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I get the point, it's just that it's not at all logical!

You are saying that because muggers sometimes get away without going to prison, then people who commit less serious crimes shouldn't go to prison either.

Presumably shoplifting is less serious than mugging, so would you moan if a shoplifter was jailed?
Old 24 September 2007, 03:00 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Do you not follow the news? Labour, ages ago, made first time offenders of burglary a non custodial sentence.
Ah, but that's not mugging is it.

And besides, it not a blanket "you will not go to jail" for your first offence. You have to plead guilty, have no previous convictions (for anythng) and have mitiating circumstances.

Also, you could argue, Burglary doesn't offer a real threat to public safety, in the same way as driving a car at 172mph does - His actions show complete disregard for the saftey of the public, and was sentenced accordingly.
Old 24 September 2007, 03:08 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Ah, but that's not mugging is it.

And besides, it not a blanket "you will not go to jail" for your first offence. You have to plead guilty, have no previous convictions (for anythng) and have mitiating circumstances.

Also, you could argue, Burglary doesn't offer a real threat to public safety, in the same way as driving a car at 172mph does - His actions show complete disregard for the saftey of the public, and was sentenced accordingly.
This may well be true but could you not say the same for somebody driving with no MOT and insurance? A car which is not even fit to be on the road could pose a greater threat to the public at legal speeds than the car driven in question here.
Old 24 September 2007, 03:27 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Can't see what the problem is, cars travel that fast everyday on our motorways, I myself have taken my car off the clock more times than I care to mention, wasn't 172mph but not far off it.
Old 24 September 2007, 03:35 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
This may well be true but could you not say the same for somebody driving with no MOT and insurance? A car which is not even fit to be on the road could pose a greater threat to the public at legal speeds than the car driven in question here.
An MOT doesn't indicate your car is fit to be on the road. It proves it was roadworthy on the day of the test, that's all. Beyond that it's no guarantee of anything.

As for being uninsured, again, that's no risk to the public.
Old 24 September 2007, 03:37 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Can't see what the problem is, cars travel that fast everyday on our motorways, I myself have taken my car off the clock more times than I care to mention, wasn't 172mph but not far off it.
The Autobahns are precision engineered to offer safe driving at those speeds. Their costs is many time that per mile comapred to UK motorways.

And this guy wasn't even on a motorway, he was on the A420 dual carriageway.
Old 24 September 2007, 03:39 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
An MOT doesn't indicate your car is fit to be on the road. It proves it was roadworthy on the day of the test, that's all. Beyond that it's no guarantee of anything.

As for being uninsured, again, that's no risk to the public.
Ok the point I was trying to make is people will and do drive round in un-roadworthy cars which are potential death traps. If they're caught and the car is deemed as such then based on the premise of being a danger to the public they should be looking at a similar sentence?
Old 24 September 2007, 03:53 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Who's to say that this guy was insured anyway, he was also charged with aggravated taking without consent.
Old 24 September 2007, 03:59 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Ok the point I was trying to make is people will and do drive round in un-roadworthy cars which are potential death traps. If they're caught and the car is deemed as such then based on the premise of being a danger to the public they should be looking at a similar sentence?

No, because this guy presented a far greater risk IMO. That's not to say uninsured drivers shouldn't be harshly dealt with. However, I think we should have a basic state third party car insurance system anyway.
Old 24 September 2007, 06:33 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

A bit pathetic really, they should fine the crap out of him and take his license away for a while, but putting him in the slammer is a bit extreme.
Old 24 September 2007, 07:27 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

The Autobahns are precision engineered to offer safe driving at those speeds.
Last time I drove on a stretch of unrestricted autobahn on the trip back from Frankfurt it was in a terrible condition. Large ridges and broken surface along most of its length. Didn't stop the local van drivers baiting us to go faster though

I like this quote from "Safe Speed"

Our official position is that we are worried that current speed enforcement policy based on cameras is ineffective, but this case is the exception that proves the rule.
Which ties up nicely with this one from ROSPA

It is fortunate the police were there to take action before he ended up killing himself or someone else.
So which one is right? Was he in fact caught by a speed camera and therefore not actually stopped by the police there and then before "killing himself or someone else" OR were the police "there to take action" thus proving the policy based on cameras does in fact work

No excuse for this sort of speed really and I feel a jail sentence was fitting in this case. Glad he didn't opt for the footballers book of excuses and instead just admitted the offence and took what was coming
Old 24 September 2007, 08:01 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

no you are definately not getting the point Its the ones that get told you should go to prison but because of over crowding I can't give you a custodial sentence that are the joke. Only for the courts to then go and say to a speeding motorist well you were driving your car over the speed limit, we will find space for you in jail or to a pensioner you haven't paid your council tax so your going inside. The burglar or mugger should be going to prison in the first place not the pensioner.

Read it slowly if you still don't get the point
I think we all understand. Obviously we all want violent criminals to be punished, and we all know that being caught at this speed will most likely bring a custodial. And not to mention the "theft" of a valubale supercar.

Your point would "hold more water" if it had been the same judge who had sent the motorist down, who had earlier decided not to send a mugger down. Remember the "law" is essentially a guide for the judges, who ultimately hand out the sentence, or not, as the case may be!
Old 24 September 2007, 08:28 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Does anyone really think that 170+ mph doesnt merit a prison sentence?....that is a grossly escessive speed, aggravated by the fact that the car was taken without the owners consent...........Its not the fact that he was driving a little bit over the limit, this was 100mph over the limit!!

Really dont think this merits the Daily Mail type hysteria.....
Old 24 September 2007, 09:15 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The guy treated the law with utter contempt and deserved his punishment.

Whether what he did was dangerous under the conditions or not is irrelevant. He overstepped the mark by too big a margin to get away with a lesser punishment.
Old 24 September 2007, 09:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I read in the raving lefty press, the guy was a tit of the first order. Constantly not allowed to take the car out after asking his boss several times, he returns when the boss is absent and takes it anyway. He then hits 172mph on an A-road, not a motorway, in a car he's not familiar with, while presumably showing off to the passenger. "A staggered crossroads, parking layby areas and a pedestrian access were among the hazards on the stretch of dual carriageway." It appears that this was in the daytime, not at 2am on a deserted stretch of road.

Possibly the irony (or mitigation) is this - "Police were attending to another motorist who had been doing 115mph on the same stretch of road when Brady was caught, the court heard."

He's a pratt and deserves as much as Paris Hilton

Quick Reply: No room in jails unless you're a motorist