Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HGV Operators Licence

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2007, 12:09 PM
MK5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HGV Operators Licence

Does anyone know the penalties/implications of using an HGV without an operator's licence?

Is the responsibility lay with the driver or the employer?

If VOSA stop the vehicle, what would they do...?

If the vehicle is fitted with a new digital TACO can they check the records of all the driver's that have used the vehicle? Are they all equally responsible? What happens if any of the driver's are over their hours or have committed another offence?
Old 25 September 2007, 12:36 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

A good start would be here.
Old 25 September 2007, 12:37 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

From a personal point of view if you are breaking the law in relation to the above its absolutely disgusting, coming from a fleet operator that i am myself who has to pays £££££'s a year complying with VOSA & DVLA regulations.

Old 25 September 2007, 12:42 PM
MK5
Scooby Regular

its not me!!

the company i work for supply equipment to VOSA so they can carry out the checks

my drivers were talking about the implications of what *could* happen...
Old 25 September 2007, 12:58 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

I guess Vosa could put a prohibition notice on the vehicle followed by a big fine.
Old 25 September 2007, 12:58 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

DONT KNOW but you have to have one, or else,

i know near me, they set up roadblocks every now and then to test for red diesel and vosa turn up, along with the dole office as well.
i have been pulled many time in the works transit and they search it as well
Old 25 September 2007, 01:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i have been pulled many time in the works transit
I thought that was our little secret.....

Trending Topics

Old 25 September 2007, 01:10 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

DAMN
Old 25 September 2007, 01:16 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Running without an O Licence is serious, fines can and often does run into the tens of thousands. As above we pay a lot of money to renew ours so its only fair people that dont pay up get a fair punishment.
Old 25 September 2007, 01:19 PM
simplesteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MK5
Does anyone know the penalties/implications of using an HGV without an operator's licence?

Is the responsibility lay with the driver or the employer?

If VOSA stop the vehicle, what would they do...?

If the vehicle is fitted with a new digital TACO can they check the records of all the driver's that have used the vehicle? Are they all equally responsible? What happens if any of the driver's are over their hours or have committed another offence?
MK5, in answer to your questions:

The penalties would be a fine that could run into thousands of pounds and a possible jail sentence, as well as a ban on not being able to hold an O licence in the future.
The responsibility does lay with the the company, its directors and transport manager etc, but as a driver you could and probably would be prosecuted as well, as checking your vehicle has an O licence disc and road tax etc should be part of your daily checks.
If VOSA were to stop the vehicle they would pretty much take it off the road and impound it immediately, as well as stop all other vehicle transport within the company concerned.
I'm not too genned up on the new digicards but I understand that the vehicles' running pattern can be checked from the past 90 or so days. Obviously should there be any dodgy findings then it would be the company who would have to provide records to VOSA of who was driving etc at what time. And then yes, once identified the individual drivers could then be prosecuted for any infringements they have made.

Hope this helps and makes sense!
Steve
Old 25 September 2007, 02:44 PM
MK5
Scooby Regular

yes, thanks
Old 25 September 2007, 07:41 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

On a seperate note regarding an O licence,

Went to do an agency job the other day. During checks etc noticed there was no O licence displayed. This is a BIG national company with a fleet of over 750 - 1000 vehicles.
They said the vehicle had been transfered from another deopt and the O licence was in the process of being changed with the local traffic office from the previous one.
As a driver where would I stand if stopped? (they did write a disclaimer for me)
Old 25 September 2007, 08:45 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by m1cks
On a seperate note regarding an O licence,

Went to do an agency job the other day. During checks etc noticed there was no O licence displayed. This is a BIG national company with a fleet of over 750 - 1000 vehicles.
They said the vehicle had been transfered from another deopt and the O licence was in the process of being changed with the local traffic office from the previous one.
As a driver where would I stand if stopped? (they did write a disclaimer for me)
Your ok.
Old 25 September 2007, 08:50 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simplesteve
MK5, in answer to your questions:

The penalties would be a fine that could run into thousands of pounds and a possible jail sentence, as well as a ban on not being able to hold an O licence in the future.
The responsibility does lay with the the company, its directors and transport manager etc, but as a driver you could and probably would be prosecuted as well, as checking your vehicle has an O licence disc and road tax etc should be part of your daily checks.
If VOSA were to stop the vehicle they would pretty much take it off the road and impound it immediately, as well as stop all other vehicle transport within the company concerned.
I'm not too genned up on the new digicards but I understand that the vehicles' running pattern can be checked from the past 90 or so days. Obviously should there be any dodgy findings then it would be the company who would have to provide records to VOSA of who was driving etc at what time. And then yes, once identified the individual drivers could then be prosecuted for any infringements they have made.

Hope this helps and makes sense!
Steve

I'm pretty sure if you drive a vehicle without tax it's only the registered keeper who gets a fine
Old 25 September 2007, 09:07 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
I'm pretty sure if you drive a vehicle without tax it's only the registered keeper who gets a fine
But the O license is entirely different. E.g. You would recieve the points for dodgy tyres even if it were someone elses car.
Old 25 September 2007, 09:21 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Didnt you see my post above ? They have written you a disclaimer, it happens all the time when vehicles are passed in-house.

Do you want me to write it in crayon for you
Old 25 September 2007, 09:59 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Sorry but just cos some company geek writes you a disclaimer means nowt. Not legal and cops would laugh at you......... sorry I was speeding officer but this jobs urgent and the boss has written me a discalimer
Old 25 September 2007, 10:18 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Sorry but just cos some company geek writes you a disclaimer means nowt. Not legal and cops would laugh at you......... sorry I was speeding officer but this jobs urgent and the boss has written me a discalimer
Did you read what he asked ?

Do you understand how long it takes for a new O Licence to come through from the DVLA ? I cant be bothered to go pull out CPC course notes but i know i am right in relation to the O License as you have to send away your old one for them to process your new one.

I suppose thats why i employ a transport manager, but then again ... company geek

Just re-reading back on your previous posts ......... please base your comments on something you know about, you seem to reckon we are talking about RFL's. Totally different subject.

Last edited by sti-04!!; 25 September 2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 25 September 2007, 10:24 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

CPC.. shudder... got mine in December
Old 25 September 2007, 10:27 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by billythekid
CPC.. shudder... got mine in December
Had mines a few years, National & International. Dont need the latter, but got it just incase.

Your right to shudder though
Old 25 September 2007, 10:39 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Yup got my National and International... have worked in transport for 23 yrs....
Needed both as the first company I worked for did a lot of express transport for Ford and Vauxhall from UK plants to Germany / Belgium.

Worked for another Midlands based container company S Jones and then a French Company who have almost 4000 wagons - Norbert Dentressangle. With them I started up their Inter Modal department and hated it. Trains too unreliable and security checks on loading a fu***ng pain. Then had seven years running UK transport for Thyssen Krupp Materials - check them out major worldwide metal stockholder. Looked after Uk transport and lots of import / export work. Was a pain -try dealing with China ( sucking in steel like you would not believe. Shipped several 24 ton loads a month) They are a pain as even the pallets needed certs to prove they had been fumigated

NOW packed in transport nearly a year ago moved to Ireland and love it....

Any of you in Transport must admit it's a pain !!!!!

(Sti04 maybe before trying to put somone down you should check their credentials)

Last edited by daddyscoob; 25 September 2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 25 September 2007, 10:54 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!

Do you understand how long it takes for a new O Licence to come through from the DVLA ? I cant be bothered to go pull out CPC course notes but i know i am right in relation to the O License as you have to send away your old one for them to process your new one.

I suppose thats why i employ a transport manager, but then again ... company geek

Just re-reading back on your previous posts ......... please base your comments on something you know about, you seem to reckon we are talking about RFL's. Totally different subject.
Surely you don't rely on old course notes for road traffic legislation ?? a man with his own fleet and Transport Manager surely would get regular updates from Croners ???? things change weekly just a friendly tip
Old 25 September 2007, 11:14 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!

P.S. op's licence's do not come from the DVLA they come from your local area licensing authority another friendly tip
Old 25 September 2007, 11:55 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I know litreally dozens of people who run lorries over 7.5 tons with out O licenses, many of them cut a window in the back box and put a foam bed in the back (in the over head box) and then call it a motorhome?

How many people are towing trailers behind pick ups with out tachos???
Old 26 September 2007, 09:22 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Surely you don't rely on old course notes for road traffic legislation ?? a man with his own fleet and Transport Manager surely would get regular updates from Croners ???? things change weekly just a friendly tip
Cheers for the friendly tip. Your a star ...........