Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Friends Mini Cooper S stolen with force !

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2007, 01:55 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friends Mini Cooper S stolen with force !

Hi all

A very close friend of mine has had a 2004 Mini Cooper S stolen whilst some lowlife came to look at it to buy it.

My friend emigrated to Australia a couple of weeks ago and hadnt sold his car by then. He left it with his wifes parents, and had arranged for a guy to come and see it. He was asked if it had a tracker and he said no. His father in law collected the guy from the local train station and he took him for a drive. Went back to their house and they guy was looking under the bonnet. Mates father in law got out and closed the bonnet, and the guy jumped in and drove into him. He jumped out the way and then relised what was going on. As the guy got to the end of the drive father in law ran after him and jumped halfway in the drivers window!!!. He hung on fighting with him trying to grab the keys being dragged down the road at speed exchanging blows. He got about 100m just before they got to the main road junction and theres a large oak tree on the junction. The guy headed for it and father in law had to hold on and put his feet up to stop himself being crushed against it. His feet hit the tree first but that pushed him off the car and he got smacked to the ground. The car sped off turning left up the road.

Father in law broke both ankles, one being quite bad so has been pinned with a metal cage and the other in a cast. Was in hospital for 2 weeks and is bruised and very pissed off. The police were all called and roped the area off like a crime scene had a chopper out and everything but the car was long gone. They said this is not uncommon and it was probably stolen to order.

The car is a Mini Cooper S 2004 (reg starts with EO04 xxx, dont know the rest but will find out) and was metallic grey with black roof with 17" Mini alloys and leather interior. It had chilli pack and comfort pack on it. If anyone saw the car in the Wokingham or Crowthorne (Nine Mile Ride) area on or around Sat 8th Sept, or has seen it since, please let me (or the police) know.

My friend is gutted as he is now in Tasmania and left feeling really awful for his father in law. Insurance will pay up but it wont help the broken ankles.

Dave

Last edited by druddle; 25 September 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 25 September 2007, 02:00 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

FFS....

My p1ss is boiling at the thought.... wish I could have ten minutes with them to help them understand (through pain) the error of their ways!!
Old 25 September 2007, 02:04 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

I don't believe you or most people on here would do anything other than hand over the keys. Two broken ankles and potential death isn't worth a car or any other material possession.
Of course everyone likes to make out they are some sort of Charles Bronson vigilante. I think we all know the truth is rather different, more along the lines of wet yourself and hand over the keys before filling out an insurance form.
The person who stole the car is of course dirt, that goes without saying really.
Old 25 September 2007, 02:06 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scum I hope they catch the people responsible but I somehow doubt it
Old 25 September 2007, 02:06 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by NACRO
I don't believe you or most people on here would do anything other than hand over the keys. Two broken ankles and potential death isn't worth a car or any other material possession.
Of course everyone likes to make out they are some sort of Charles Bronson vigilante. I think we all know the truth is rather different, more along the lines of wet yourself and hand over the keys before filling out an insurance form.
The person who stole the car is of course dirt, that goes without saying really.
And you're just a trolling ****.... so **** off
Old 25 September 2007, 02:07 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

That's terrible

I've just sold my car privately and was pretty concerned about this kind of thing happening to me so I'd decided not to show anyone the car unless the other half was here. It makes me feel really sick that someone can inflict that kind of injury on another human being for the sake of a few grand.
Old 25 September 2007, 02:08 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Scum I hope they catch the people responsible but I somehow doubt it
That's the annoying thing really.... you know that they've probably already stripped it and sold it on..
Old 25 September 2007, 02:15 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Well thats a worthy read..... NOT !

Some people do actually make a positive reaction, rightly or wrongly. In this case, it seems like it was eventually the wrong thing to do, but fair play to the man for having the ***** to challenge.

Car will be long gone now I would think, this sort of theft is usually steal to order I reckon.
Old 25 September 2007, 02:29 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Any clues as to where the guy was coming from by train?
Old 25 September 2007, 02:52 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Any clues as to where the guy was coming from by train?
He may not have even come by train but just got collected from it. I guess that way he could give the impression that he lived further away than he did.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:27 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Old 25 September 2007, 03:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by wrx-kris
I really don't understand why what I wrote would make you angry. Surely nobody thinks their car is worth being maimed or killed for?
What I'm advocating is the way the Police advise you to act in such situations. Let the thief take the car and keep you and your family safe.
I'm sure the person who owned the car would prefer to have his father in law intact rather than injured despite appreciating his heroism in tackling the thief.
Put simply it really isn't worth it and despite the amount of bluster I sometimes read on here I don't believe most people would risk themselves or their families for the sake of a piece of metal.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:33 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Not everyone is an 8 stone, quivering computer geek with a chip on their shoulder you know. Some are actually capable of helping others in need.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:34 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I really don't understand why what I wrote would make you angry. Surely nobody thinks their car is worth being maimed or killed for?
What I'm advocating is the way the Police advise you to act in such situations. Let the thief take the car and keep you and your family safe.
I'm sure the person who owned the car would prefer to have his father in law intact rather than injured despite appreciating his heroism in tackling the thief.
Put simply it really isn't worth it and despite the amount of bluster I sometimes read on here I don't believe most people would risk themselves or their families for the sake of a piece of metal.
No you're attempting to twist the fact you're a just a sad trolling **** .......
Old 25 September 2007, 03:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Not everyone is an 8 stone, quivering computer geek with a chip on their shoulder you know. Some are actually capable of helping others in need.
I'm sure many people aren't, however I wonder how capable some of the people claiming to have ninja skills would be of dealing with a knife in the belly or a gun pointed in their face.

Of course we all make decisions of this sort on the spur of the moment but I don't mind admitting that if it was over a piece of metal they could take it without even a second thought. If they were attacking a loved one or even a stranger on the other side of the street then I would no doubt become involved.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:38 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
No you're attempting to twist the fact you're a just a sad trolling **** .......
Nothing I've said here is trolling or intended to be that way. Unlike some of the comments you've made. Grow up hunt.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:39 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Damn. I thought this was going to be a story about how someone stole a car by using of the old Jedi Mind trick..

Anyway, sincerest sympthties with the injured party.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:42 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'm sure many people aren't, however I wonder how capable some of the people claiming to have ninja skills would be of dealing with a knife in the belly or a gun pointed in their face.

Of course we all make decisions of this sort on the spur of the moment but I don't mind admitting that if it was over a piece of metal they could take it without even a second thought. If they were attacking a loved one or even a stranger on the other side of the street then I would no doubt become involved.
I have chased thieves away on several occasions - they are all complete wimps unless armed - in which case that's a different matter.
The above case sounds terrible and must be very emotionally damaging.
The only way of "winning" in that situation is to realise that people who nick cars are the lowest of the low and probably won't live very long.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:45 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

If they were attacking a loved one or even a stranger on the other side of the street then I would no doubt become involved.
By the sounds of it, you would run off, hide and phone the police.

I have maximum respect for the guy and his attempt to stop the tea leaf - hope he gets back on his feet soon
Old 25 September 2007, 03:49 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I have chased thieves away on several occasions - they are all complete wimps unless armed - in which case that's a different matter.
The above case sounds terrible and must be very emotionally damaging.
The only way of "winning" in that situation is to realise that people who nick cars are the lowest of the low and probably won't live very long.
That's very laudable of course the problem is that most of these types probably are tooled up and you won't find out until it's too late. Part of the reason I'd let them take what they wanted if it came down to it. I agree with your definition of 'winning' and it's exactly what I'm advocating.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:51 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I have maximum respect for the guy and his attempt to stop the tea leaf - hope he gets back on his feet soon
Sadly I've been in that situation and didn't run off or hide but did take action and eventually phoned the Police. Nobody knows how they'd react until it happens and I simply don't believe people who are full of the bravado I read on here sometimes.

I also respect the father in law in this situation, I just think it's a damn shame he'll face weeks of pain for his heroism.
Old 25 September 2007, 03:52 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I think the Police are far too blasé about the fact that we're insured and it's up to the insurance company to sort out.

When my car got nicked, they were pretty useless.
Old 25 September 2007, 04:09 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Afraid I don't.

Yes it was brave, but unbelieveably stupid. Doesn't take much to figure out how the rest of the family, and the original poster would have felt had the father in law been killed (which could easily have happened)

Challengeing clearly unarmed thiefs is one thing, jumping headfirst into a moving car is something best left to trained stuntpeople.

I've chased would be *******, but, sorry, jumping into a moving car is madness.

Anyway, good to hear it wasn't more serious.
Old 25 September 2007, 04:09 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Cops were very good when my car got done over (twice in three days) - genuinely stepped up patrols, put capture cars nearby, etc.
Sadly they can't be there 24/7 so I still had to sell it.
Old 25 September 2007, 04:10 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and Matt, welcome back
Old 25 September 2007, 04:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Oh, and Matt, welcome back
Thanks

The antagonizers seem to be off-line and some interesting threads came up today...
Old 25 September 2007, 05:05 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Bu$4er! Hope the out-law gets back on his feet soon!

Hmmm. Too close to home - I live on the Aborfield side of Wokingham. Was this nearer Crowthorne, or up my way?

Dave
Hi mate

Was nearer Crowthorne/Wokingham in a small road off the Nine Mile Ride. Sadly the car would have been long gone by now, and yes the insurance will pay out but father in law said it was just instinctive to try and stop them.

He might think different next time, mind you i dont suppose he will be running anywhere for a while and might not get proper movement back ever.....

Dave
Old 25 September 2007, 10:28 PM
karl h
Scooby Regular

your wrong, i wouldnt be calling the police either

Quick Reply: Friends Mini Cooper S stolen with force !