Another Autotrader scam....

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2007, 08:58 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Autotrader scam....

Vehicle Details:> MAKE: BMW> MODEL: X3> PRICE: £12400

Hi, Thank you for email and YES, the car is still for sale for the price of £12,400, but at this price the car is not going to be on the market for long time. The car is being sold to help pay for a major investment, so the low price is for a fast deal. It's a very clean car in and out, right-handed, 13,495 miles, drives faultlessly, no scratches or dents on paintwork, no rips or burns on interior. There is no outstanding finance on the car and it has an accident free history. I’m in Prague, Czech Republic and the car is here too. The shipping will take 5 days and the car will be delivered to your home. As you can probably tell, I have a very busy schedule, so I'm keen on selling the car only through EBAY, because they always served my interests in a professional manner and helped me gain buyers. I will list the car with ‘buy it now’ price and you’ll purchase it thru EBAY, which is to everyone's benefit. This works for me because I see the money exists before shipping takes place. It works for you too because your payment is held by EBAY, in a secured account. You will have 7 days to inspect the car and the documents before EBAY will release your payment to me. If you agree to use neutral third party like EBAY for this transaction, please reply ASAP and I will initiate for you the buy it now auction on EBAY.

Kind Regards, Kim

My reply-

Hi, Yes I am still interested, please set up the ebay listing and send me the link. I will be happy to purchase the car at the price advertised. I assume you accept Paypal as form of payment. Regards

Response-
Hi, Thanks for replying, glad you are interested. I will not require the money upfront because you haven't seen/test driven the car yet. The title, full service history, owner’s manual, keys, all the paperwork needed to register the car under your name including a notarized bill of sale and odometer check statement will come.The deal will go through EBAY for our own protection. As you know EBAY is the best company of online transactions and they will hold and insure your payment until receipt of the car in good condition. Look how this works: 1. I will list the car on EBAY with ‘buy it now’ price and provide you the item URL.2. You’ll copy/paste the item URL in your browser and click on ‘Buy It Now’3. EBAY will send you the invoice for this transaction, payment information and buyer’s protection policy.4. After the transaction is started, you are invited to deposit the amount of £12,400 in a neutral account which eBay controls. After the amount is deposited, I am invited to send you the car for a 7 days inspection period during which you need to decide whether to accept the car or not. The inspection period is starting from the day you will receive the vehicle.5.1 After you’ll inspect/drive the car and decide to keep it, you have to give consent so that the money is transferred to me and the deal is done.5.2 If you reject it, I will arrange to ship it back on my costs and the payment will be returned to you. Remember you have 7 days to check the documents and to have AA or RAC inspection. If by any reason the car is not as described or if you find any problems with it I will pay for the returning fees. I'm sure it won't be the case because it's a state of art looking and working vehicle. If you agree I’ll list the car on EBAY, and I’ll reply with the item URL in order to purchase it thru EBAY. You'll be the guaranteed buyer of the car for no more than £12,400. Please let me know ASAP, so I can set up all the things on my end. Sincerely,Kim

Waiting for them to set up ebay sale but obviously have zero intention of buying. There are so many scammers now on Autotrader. Someone must be falling for them as this is the 3rd since I've started looking at car's 2 weeks ago.
Old 26 September 2007, 12:53 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is far too much of this on Ebay, Pistonheads (although they react) and autotrader these days. I guess if you waste their time enough it might slow them down a bit and they deserve everything coming to them apart from cash
Old 26 September 2007, 02:15 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Another thing that pisses me off about Autotrader are all the traders that list their cars with 85miles or something and when you read the details of the AD its not the correct mileage!!
Old 26 September 2007, 03:10 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by princessyin
Another thing that pisses me off about Autotrader are all the traders that list their cars with 85miles or something and when you read the details of the AD its not the correct mileage!!

Or you look in the picture for an ad marked as trade and see it parked outside a house....So your selling cars on the side, does the taxman know about this? Do you have permission from your council to trade from a residential address?

I don't think many can honestly answer yes to that
Old 26 September 2007, 03:27 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Thats pretty bad...

One that gets me is cars with '2007' in the title so they come up when you are looking for a younger car & they turn out to be 1995 models and such like Grrrrrrr
Old 26 September 2007, 03:33 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see how this scam pans out. Anyone have predictions on how it works yet? Its not the usual one if the money is going to be held by ebay until delivery.
Old 26 September 2007, 03:57 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

i didnt know ebay had the ability to hold money in special accounts either,thought thats why theu bought paypal to deal with the finanvial side of their business

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2007, 04:01 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Had a reply now- the item has been listed on ebay. Here's the link-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170153302807

Funny thing is when I look at the feedback of the buyer and then click items for sale its not listed.....
Old 26 September 2007, 04:14 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Link worked 5 mins ago but doesn't seem to be now....

Have emailed scammer and have received a prompt response..

Hi, Perhaps the listing is now in peding before they add it to their site.Please let me know your full name and shipping address to register the transaction thru ebay.Best Regards,Kim
Old 26 September 2007, 04:20 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
i didnt know ebay had the ability to hold money in special accounts either,thought thats why theu bought paypal to deal with the finanvial side of their business
I think that's the scam itself. You think ebay is holding your money but its in fact the scammer. They haven't confirmed what payment is accepted but if its through paypal- what sort of protection would a buyer get for claiming back their money??
Old 26 September 2007, 06:39 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

looks like ebay think its a scam and have removed it....
Old 26 September 2007, 07:38 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by princessyin
I think that's the scam itself. You think ebay is holding your money but its in fact the scammer. They haven't confirmed what payment is accepted but if its through paypal- what sort of protection would a buyer get for claiming back their money??
Yep exactly, its absolute bollox that ebay 'hold' the money. They do nothing of the sort, never have and probably never will. Paypal will only guarantee upto £500 so unless your buying a banger forget it! And would you really hand over cash for a car, especially 13k without seeing it/driving it?!?!!?

These idiots must think everyone is stupid.

Gary
Old 26 September 2007, 09:31 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Someone must be falling for them otherwise there wouldn't be so many out there on autotrader.
Old 26 September 2007, 09:33 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Just got an email from seller...

Hi, I contacted EBAY and they advised me to send them all the info about this transaction and they will contact you with further details in order to conclude this sale.They told me, if I'll list the car, I will not be 100% sure that you'll buy it, because there are tousands of people who can hit the buy it now before you.If you agree please reply with your EBAY user ID, full name and shipping address. Let me know ASAP, so I can set up all the things on my end. Sincerely,Kim
Old 27 September 2007, 09:47 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

sounds like they want to scam your account details or something like that...