Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'SuS' - stop and search - do you think it will help cut crime?!?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2007, 07:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 'SuS' - stop and search - do you think it will help cut crime?!?

Stop and search and don’t feel ashamed | Libby Purves - Times Online
"And now from the retiring president of the National Black Police Association, Keith Jarrett, comes a call to increase the level of stop-and-search investigations of youths "

Former olympic sprinter John Regis who lost his nephew in a knife attack was saying exactly the same thing on R5 live last Wednesday!

Is it time to reintroduce this or will the pc lobby be having headfits and screaming "civil liberties!!!"
Old 24 October 2007, 07:44 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

All the neds up here carry screw drivers etc and are on the way to their GF's to sort out some flat pack. That and a thousand other excuses. Scum are scum and will maim and kill no matter what.
Old 24 October 2007, 07:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I think tougher measure need to be introduce with regards to carrying Knives and guns. Basically if you are caught in possesion of one, then you get 10 years inside. Doesn;t matter if you are looking after it for someone, carrying as a favour, whatever. We need to make it absolutely not worth the risk to carry a weapon.

If that means stop and search on a more widescale basis, then so be it. Obviously its no good having these penalties if you can walk around knowing that you can't be challenged.

It goes against my civil liberty head, but I think that the safety of kids outweighs the civil liberty argument in this instance.
Old 24 October 2007, 07:49 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop and search everyone of them...

1. if they look dodgy SUS
2. if they are of ethnic origin SUS
3. if they are wearing a hood SUS
4. if they are hanging around the off licence SUS
5. if they are wearing too much bling SUS
6. if they look like they might be up to no good SUS

and after all that, SUS them just for the hell of it ..

metal detectors on every main entrance in schools

I could go on....
Old 24 October 2007, 10:39 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Stop and Shoot would be much more effective perhaps...
Old 24 October 2007, 11:07 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by 22BUK
Stop and Shoot would be much more effective perhaps...
Agreed - 7 Hollow tip questions into the ear of any of the following would cut crime down no end !!

1. if they look dodgy SUS
2. if they are of ethnic origin SUS
3. if they are wearing a hood SUS
4. if they are hanging around the off licence SUS
5. if they are wearing too much bling SUS
6. if they look like they might be up to no good SUS
Old 24 October 2007, 11:47 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

We had it for 20 years in Northern Ireland. If you looked like a Catholic you got pulled. The result was that the innocent Catholics hated the police even more and the non innocent ones just shot the police before they got searched
Old 25 October 2007, 04:47 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

To be fair though FB all you paddies look like pikies It's a lot easier to tell the difference between a ned, a wigga or a n!gger, and a human being, just check Swiss' list above
Old 25 October 2007, 08:38 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
To be fair though FB all you paddies look like pikies
Not completely true, but you know what the stereotypical irish terrorist looks like in a movie. Black leather jacket, jeans, big boots, short hair and usually a tache. Someone must have been flashing pictures round army training camps saying that this is what a terrorist looks like. So if you went out with black jacket, jeans, boots etc (never had a tache) you would get stopped every 20 yards, and you had 0% chance of getting through Heathrow without a full body x-ray and rectal examination. If however, you decided to wear a suit, they must have thought you were a thoroughly decent chap and no-one paid you any attention. Looking back it seems that the terrorists cleverly disguised themselves as normal people to avoid the attention of the police and army.

So in this case - do you stop and search everyone (to be sure, to be sure) or do you just pick on the people who look the part? Maybe you just stop and search non-whites? Do you pick an age limit?

I agree with the theory that if you think you are going to get SAS'd and properly punished (falling down the stairs a few times in Castlereagh holding centre was always nice ) you are less likely to start with the silly stuff like small knife/ stealing stereos, which eventually lead to stabbing people and stealing cars. Unfortunately you can't tell by looking at someone what they are thinking, so either everyone gets SAS'd or it won't work
Old 25 October 2007, 08:58 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Taking the point above, the Police are likely to use it to stop young, chavvy, dodgy looking people - if you dont want to get stopped, dont hang around dodgy areas with a hoodie up and a scarf covering half your face, or dressed like a black pimp or drug dealer.

If you are patrolling a city centre and see a gang of chavvy kids hanging around a street corner or offy, chances are at least one is going to have a knife, gun, dope, stolen mobile etc... on them.

TBH, most local coppers know who the scallies are as they have dealt with them before, so arent going to waste their time stopping random people, they'll target known scallies to see if they are carrying, or kids who look like they are up to no good.

And I would say give the police the power to stop and search anyone at anytime - if you arent carrying something you shouldnt, or doing something illegal then you have nothing to worry about. Its the same as the people who complained about CCTV - why would it bother you if you arent doing anything wrong ?
Old 25 October 2007, 09:20 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
To be fair though FB all you paddies look like pikies It's a lot easier to tell the difference between a ned, a wigga or a n!gger, and a human being, just check Swiss' list above
you *should* actually be infracted for that crispy
Old 25 October 2007, 10:29 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
you *should* actually be infracted for that crispy
Are you not allowed to say pikey?
Old 25 October 2007, 10:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you not allowed to spool it like that - i imagine he was taking the **** with the rest of the sentence
Old 25 October 2007, 10:38 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
We had it for 20 years in Northern Ireland. If you looked like a Catholic you got pulled. The result was that the innocent Catholics hated the police even more and the non innocent ones just shot the police before they got searched
Just wondering, do Catholics look different to Protestants over there then? Serious question, I assumed they all look the same, i.e white caucasion?
Old 25 October 2007, 10:53 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The cahtolics were the ones with guilty expressions on thier faces whether they had done anything or not.
Old 25 October 2007, 11:01 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dpb

you not allowed to spool it like that - i imagine he was taking the **** with the rest of the sentence
I'm curious, what do you mean by spool it

Fortunately I do know the intended target of the first line has a sense of humour
Old 25 October 2007, 11:02 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
The cahtolics were the ones with guilty expressions on thier faces whether they had done anything or not.
Old 25 October 2007, 11:26 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Just wondering, do Catholics look different to Protestants over there then? Serious question, I assumed they all look the same, i.e white caucasion?
Apparently "their" eyes are too close together......

(Never managed to work which sides had their eyes too close together, but I've heard it millions of times, so it must be true...... but as a general rule, the catholics were throwing stones at the police and the protestants were throwing stones at the catholics. Anyone found not to be carrying a stone was deemed to be a serious terrorist trying to act innocent and fell down the stairs accordingly )
Old 27 October 2007, 01:23 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
lol - very clever
Old 27 October 2007, 02:54 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts