Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New National Holiday for UK?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2007, 11:22 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New National Holiday for UK?

There is a petition on the Downing Street website for a new national holiday in November each year. It is not political!

It says:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to create a new public holiday, the National Remembrance Holiday to commemorate The Fallen and our Nation, with the holiday falling on the second Monday in November each year, the day after Remembrance Sunday."

Petition to: create a new public holiday, the National Remembrance Holiday to commemorate The Fallen and our Nation, with the holiday falling on the second Monday in November each year, the day after Remembrance Sunday.

It goes on to say:

"By comparison to many other European Countries, Britain has fewer public holidays and none at all for a period of some three months between the August public holiday and Christmas.

Moreover, Britain does not have a "National" day.

So what better way to celebrate our Nation than to have a National Remembrance Holiday falling on the second Monday in November each year to reinforce Remembrance Sunday which falls on the second Sunday in November?

Such a holiday will serve to emphasise our commemoration of The Fallen who gave their lives to save Britain and also the on-going importance of the survival of our Nation.

The National Remembrance Holiday will further serve to break that period between late summer and Christmas when there is currently no public holiday."

The petition has only been running a few days and nearly 2,000 folk have already signed up! I have too and I've sent the link to quite a few people who think its a great idea, especially as Poppy Day is approaching.

So even if you don't sign up, at least give a few bob for your Poppy - our boys and girls are still being killed or maimed every single day in various parts of the world and the British Legion does a great job.
Old 27 October 2007, 01:07 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

signed - even though I am a contractor !!!
Old 27 October 2007, 01:16 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
......commemoration of The Fallen who gave their lives to save Britain ... our boys and girls are still being killed or maimed every single day in various parts of the world ......

If you can justify how any member of the armed forces died in the last 60 years trying to save Britain, then I will donate one months salary. If it merely turns out they were political pawns and considered dispensible by whichever bunch of incompetents was running the country then I will have to keep my pennies in my pocket.
Old 27 October 2007, 01:28 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fast bloke
If you can justify how any member of the armed forces died in the last 60 years trying to save Britain, then I will donate one months salary. If it merely turns out they were political pawns and considered dispensible by whichever bunch of incompetents was running the country then I will have to keep my pennies in my pocket.
Idiot !!

It's not about the government - the people in the forces had no choice where they were sent.

It's not about that at all....

It's about getting a long weekend in Mid-November, perfect timing for a booze cruise in time for Christmas
Old 27 October 2007, 01:41 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Idiot !!

You 100% sure about that?
Old 27 October 2007, 04:25 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
I am not trying to justify anything: we all know that ALL politicians are tossas, but these guys and girls go where they are told and get hurt in the name of Britain. Now you can either say tough sh*t and keep your hand firmly buried in your pocket, or you can show a bit of respect and compassion and give a bob or two. I prefer the latter course of action.
Old 27 October 2007, 04:27 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
signed - even though I am a contractor !!!

So am I! But there's other ways to skin the cat, as they say!!
Old 27 October 2007, 05:10 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

In my experience, the cr@pper the country the more public holidays there are!!! . . Just an observation . . .It probably done to celebrate the cr@pnes!

Cheers!!!
Old 27 October 2007, 07:31 PM
blockmonke@fsmail.net
Scooby Regular

For 5 million workshy Brits every day is a holiday
Old 27 October 2007, 08:34 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

And for the employers its just another nail in the coffin....
Old 27 October 2007, 08:47 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Isn't that what Remembrance Sunday is for?

Or do some workshy cvnts basically just want another free day off?