Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2007, 09:27 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The bloody nerve of some people!

A neighbour has just knocked on my door and started the conversation with:

"Are you planning on regularly parking your car there?"

Some background: I currently have 4 cars (2 are for sale and will hopefully be gone soon, fingers crossed). The 2 we don't use are parked on my drive, out of the way of everyone. The other 2, we're parking on the road. My house has road to 3 sides (the back being a relatively busy road and we can't see it from the house so we don't use that). One side is the side that our drive opens on to and we park 1 car there, the other side is opposite our front door and parallel to the drive and we park car number 4 there. See dodgy yellow boxes to get the idea:

The car the guy was referring to is the yellow box on the left of the picture (which is opposite the front door). So I replied "yes" (bearing in mind I've been parking it there for nigh on a month already).

He then starts to tell me that whenever other houses in the close have visitors, they park their cars awkwardly which makes it difficult to get his van in (which is actually a small pickup, not a big Transit) and because there's no room to turn his car round (note big turning circle that all the houses are arranged around) it's really difficult for him to get past my car.

I politely but fiurmly told him that as the car was legally parked outside my house, I would continue to park there and that if neighbours visitors were parking awkwardly, that there really wasn't anything I could do about it. He then starts telling me how I'm making it difficult for everyone and that I should park my car closer to the corner. I replied that a) that was illegal and b) it would reduce visibility at the junction and I deliberately parked away from the corner to avoid this.

His last words were "Fine, you carry on parking there then" to which my repsonse was "Thanks I will".

Seriously, am I in the wrong here. I can't park outside MY house because he can't turn his pickup around and his nearer neighbours have guests that park funny?

Idiots? I **** 'em
Old 31 October 2007, 09:34 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as your cars are taxed and parked legally then f**k him.
Perhaps he should have a word with the other neighbours and ask them about their visitors parking.
So if you sell your cars then the 'problem' will cease?
Old 31 October 2007, 09:35 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Car taxed and Insured?

Allowed to park anywhere on public highway as long as is not blocking access to his drive

Got this with our neighbours.. to get the car out we need to put our van on the road outside our house... they dont like looking at it... its a lovely blue sprinter... wtf
Old 31 October 2007, 09:35 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

He is only complaining because all of your cars are Yellow
Old 31 October 2007, 09:36 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Technically you cant park anywhere, there is a minimum distance you need to leave from a corner etc, but cant remember what it is

However it does look like you parked the one on the front a bit dodgy too
Old 31 October 2007, 09:58 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Why don't you just park perpendicular to your cars on the driveway? (i.e. blocking your non-use cars in).

As it reads, someone has asked you about your car that is making manouvering a little tricky (whether is actually is or not is beside the point) and you just told him "I can do what I like".

Did you not offer to both go out and look at the road and agree where would be best to park for all concerned?

Trending Topics

Old 31 October 2007, 10:06 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Why don't you just park perpendicular to your cars on the driveway? (i.e. blocking your non-use cars in).

As it reads, someone has asked you about your car that is making manouvering a little tricky (whether is actually is or not is beside the point) and you just told him "I can do what I like".

Did you not offer to both go out and look at the road and agree where would be best to park for all concerned?
I agree. I would regard that as (fairly) awkwardly parked too.
Old 31 October 2007, 10:25 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Arguements with neighbours..... it wont end here.
I suggest that you get your preemptive nuclear stike in now!
Old 31 October 2007, 10:29 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Did you tell him it won't be an issue when you sell your two cars ?
Old 31 October 2007, 10:31 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Like the recon photo and the vehicles in question well displayed in yellow, very good!

He is obviously being a cvnt with you because you are 1 person he can nag too (easy stuff), but if he has to complain to ALL the other neighbours he is going to look like the complete idiot he is.
So the best thing for you to do is complain to your fellow neighbours about his driving problems and how he hates them and their guests for making things worse by parking in the road.
By doing this he is exposed and shamed for trying to single you out, and you come out on top.

You can only be right the way you describe yout parking setup, so if you dont do any of the above at least take satisfaction knowing all is correct.

Of course he might damage your car, or vandalize it......
Old 31 October 2007, 10:33 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

so this was a 'trick or treat' , yeah??
Old 31 October 2007, 10:56 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The women in no 32 looks a hottie!
Old 31 October 2007, 11:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro

Because by parking across the end of my drive we'd be parked too close to the corner and reduce visibility and one of the cars is parked there, just not blocking the whole drive.

Trust me, if manouvring past my car is tricky, he shouldn't be driving at all. He could easily drive into the road and turn around, despite his claims. In fact I turn around there every day without any problem.

Besides, he admitted that it wasn't my car per se, but other neighbours. His attitude stunk from the second we opened the door. If you're argumentative from the off, I'm not going to respond well to it.

As for "best to park for all concerned", beleive me, you couldn't park in any way differently to make it easier. He was just pissed off because one of the houses in the road was having a halloween party for their kids and there were cars everywhere (which weren't there when I parked!).
Old 31 October 2007, 11:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I agree. I would regard that as (fairly) awkwardly parked too.
Why exactly? There is enough room for 2 cars to pass each other very easily and neither car restricts the view of the road. What's awkward about that?
Old 31 October 2007, 11:08 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It is always best to try and see any complaint from their point of view. Imagine you being him, with his vehicle. Would you mind your car parked there? Is there some other place you can park that will make is easier for everyone while you sort your cars out?

From their point of view, you may be causing a problem. The way they see it, you have 4 cars, which is a little excessive in most people's mind. Yes, you are selling two, but they may not know this.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, just saying try and look at it from both sides. At least the chap came to see you to talk to you. That is just the way it should be done. Some would just slash tyres or do other crap

On a final note, if it is OK for you to park there, then it is also legal for him to do so. You may find his pickup parked at the entrance to the estate from now on if he wants to be a pain. Parking disputes can turn into feuds, which can really go down hill.
Old 31 October 2007, 11:08 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

BTW, who can guess which house the guy lives at?
Old 31 October 2007, 11:11 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
It is always best to try and see any complaint from their point of view. Imagine you being him, with his vehicle. Would you mind your car parked there? Is there some other place you can park that will make is easier for everyone while you sort your cars out?

From their point of view, you may be causing a problem. The way they see it, you have 4 cars, which is a little excessive in most people's mind. Yes, you are selling two, but they may not know this.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, just saying try and look at it from both sides. At least the chap came to see you to talk to you. That is just the way it should be done. Some would just slash tyres or do other crap

On a final note, if it is OK for you to park there, then it is also legal for him to do so. You may find his pickup parked at the entrance to the estate from now on if he wants to be a pain. Parking disputes can turn into feuds, which can really go down hill.

We did explain that 2 of the cars were up for sale. IF he'd had a reasonabke attitude himself I may well have been more amenable, but he was already wound up and the fact is that my car in no way causes an obstruction. If he parks his pickup outside my house, that's fine. I can easily use his driveway
Old 31 October 2007, 11:13 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I bet he lives in the one on the left before the entrance to the cul de sac

Do you want to borrow the Shogun for a few days, it is a LWB
Old 31 October 2007, 11:14 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
If he parks his pickup outside my house, that's fine. I can easily use his driveway
As amusing as that is, I do hope you don't actually do that

Well, at least if you do, take pictures and tell us the story of what WWIII is like
Old 31 October 2007, 11:17 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Everyone does realise that the dark car opposite my yellow splodge in the picture isn't a feature of this argument in real life don't they? That just happened to be in the picture, no one parks there!
Old 31 October 2007, 11:18 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I bet he lives in the one on the left before the entrance to the cul de sac

Do you want to borrow the Shogun for a few days, it is a LWB
I'll take the Shogun, the Scoob and Donna's tummy. That'll learn 'im
Old 31 October 2007, 11:19 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just wave a few Snickers around and you may get BA in a tank. Now THAT would learn them
Old 31 October 2007, 11:20 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I would go with that too, If the car opposite the car in question is there all the time it would create a pinch point, something which does annoy me.
I would say park perpendicular... for a few days
astraboy.
Old 31 October 2007, 11:21 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
If the car opposite the car in question is there all the time it would create a pinch point
I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer
Old 31 October 2007, 11:25 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I'll take the Shogun, the Scoob and Donna's tummy. That'll learn 'im

TEACH him

wtf did this learn him cr@p come from

So was I right in where he lives then
Old 31 October 2007, 11:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
TEACH him

wtf did this learn him cr@p come from

So was I right in where he lives then
it came from America, were you not teached anything
Old 31 October 2007, 11:45 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ignore it. When our front spot was taken, my visiting father in law parked legally and considerately outside 2 doors down . Nothing to do with me, but what was a friendly neighbour threatened to phone the police and hasn't spoken to me now for 18months or more. Some people are just weird about parking, they feel invaded if things change.
Old 31 October 2007, 11:49 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

A neighbour complained about my pickup, he isn't actually a neighbour though, he lives 15 doors away.He didnt like my 10 year old truck on 'his' street. i filled it up with building material and genral crap, roped it all down then left it right outside his front window. All the street found this very funny as he is a proper cvnt. After 4 days he knocked on my door giving it the charlie big potatoes act. One punch and I had to drag him off my drive by his neck. Self defense as the police agreed.

he still ***** himself everytime I look at him

chop

ps i sent 12 red roses from me to his missus as well for good measure
Old 31 October 2007, 11:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fact is, you are not going to sell those cars now ...... not with an almighty big crease down one side where a pick-up squeezed by

Quick Reply: The bloody nerve of some people!