Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Putting my vinyl onto CD

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2007, 09:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Putting my vinyl onto CD

OK, it looks like the time is coming to invest in a new amp. The one I want doesn't have a cartridge input, and I'm not a fan of offboard phono preamps.

So it looks as if I ought to get my vinyl onto CD, and archive the vinyl itself, plus the Linn Axis/K18 combination that I play them on.

So...............how do I get vinyl onto CD? I don't have a CD recorder, but I DO have a DVD recorder, that I can hook up to the stereo. Would that work?

Alternatively, I could put the vinyl onto minidisc, transfer THAT to the computer, then burn it onto a CD. Time consuming but it'll work, I'm pretty sure.

Alternatively, is there software available at a reasonable price that a computer moron (ie: me), could use to do this?

Thanks for any advice.
Alcazar

Last edited by alcazar; 01 November 2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01 November 2007, 09:31 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced most of mine using ebay for the cd version. Only stuff left now is rubbish I wouldn't play. How many LPs are we talking and are they commercially available?
Old 01 November 2007, 09:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Replaced most of mine using ebay for the cd version. Only stuff left now is rubbish I wouldn't play. How many LPs are we talking and are they commercially available?
About a hundred LPs, and no, most of them are deleted, although I do have some already on CD, ie: all my Led Zep

Alcazar
Old 01 November 2007, 09:41 AM
writeofreply
BANNED

Plug your current amplifier into your computer's input and use a recording program.
Old 01 November 2007, 09:41 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There are various ADC (Analogue to Digital) converters that will take a line in (tape out from amp) and convert on your PC. You can then write them onto CD from your PC.

I have one for my Mac, I am pretty sure you can get them for PCs (probably cheaper than the Mac one!). I am guessing £40 notes.

They may not be sold as ADCs, they may be piggybacked onto a sound card or TV card (mine was bundled with an Eye TV USB stick). Your sound card may already have a suitable line in. If so you will need to find some ADC software which may already be part of your software bundle.

There are lots of ways of doing it - you just need to connect your line in on your PC to your line out on the amp and then 'record' the LP.

Sorry for the rambling!
Old 01 November 2007, 09:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Looks OK, but it would mean setting up the computer next to the stereo for a few hours, as the computer is in the dining room and the stereo in the living room. Kids and wife would be bolshy, as it would mean no internet while I recorded my LPs.

Moving the amp/deck isn't an option: nowhere to put the deck, (it's on a dedicated Target wall-mounted stand), and the amp is a VERY heavy pre/power combo.

Software is probably my last resort.........

Would my DVD recorder not record a CD? My pre-amp has a digital output........both optical and co-axial. Does that mean I could use the preamp on it's own with the deck, into the computer?

Alcazar
Old 01 November 2007, 09:58 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Previous advice is good. However, as you found out you will need to have the source and destination physically close to one another in order to connect.

You can go down the minidisc route, but that will involve extra lossy compression in the process. It depends on how much of an audiophile you are, you may not be able to accept this.

Your soundcard most likely has a line in input, even if it is an onboard card. The quality of the sound you get will depend on the quality of the card. Most these days are OK, but some still suck. The input on your machine may be labelled as a mic input, just make sure you don't have that boosted in your audio control panel.

Now you just need some software to do all the recordings. Having not done this for ages it is hard to recommend what to use. Nero has the ability I am pretty sure. There is also something called Total Recorder which I have used in the past. Seeing as you are into audio stuff I don't really know what to recommend. What satisfies me may be well below what you find acceptable.

Trending Topics

Old 01 November 2007, 10:01 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Would my DVD recorder not record a CD? My pre-amp has a digital output........both optical and co-axial. Does that mean I could use the preamp on it's own with the deck, into the computer?

Alcazar
Your computer's only default input will be an analogue line in one located on your soundcard. Not being an audiophile, any way of making that signal will suffice
Old 01 November 2007, 12:00 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

there is a (used to be anyway) program called Polderbits for the pc. You can use the line out from the audio source connect to a line in, set up the software (very easy just select the input source) hit record and play the lp. If it is an album this will record the whole album as one file, which you can then use some editing software to cut the individual songs out. Files can be saved in a variety of formats like wav, mp3 etc
Old 01 November 2007, 12:49 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You can buy a USB turntable for not much, and convert them to MP3, then burn to CD.