Menezes

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2007, 04:02 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Menezes

BBC NEWS | UK | Police guilty over Menezes case

So basically the police shoot dead a guy for getting the tube, the MET are found guilty but not one single person is held accountable and then they get fined a small sum, which the tax payer have to burden whilst the people involved say "**** it, that's life" and get on with their day....

Unreal
Old 01 November 2007, 04:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People make mistakes, did you expect the copper to be locked up or something? They made an off the cuff decision that went wrong. Anyway, if he wasnt in the country and all that
Old 01 November 2007, 04:07 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

No, but by reading it all, the whole operation was one big mistake after another... surely somewhere, someone was culpable of causing this
Old 01 November 2007, 04:16 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Although I hate a blame culture, it does seem bizarre that no-one can be held accountable.

Maybe Sir Ian Blair is accountable for allowing such lax procedures to be in place. Surely there should have been one control room in charge of all the different units, so at least someone new the overall picture.

If military operations were run this badly, there would be untold "blue on blue" incidents.

"Poorly briefed firearms officers" sounds extremely scary to me - there's a foreign looking bloke somewhere, who may be a suicide bomber, so take someone that fits that description out with 7 bullets in their face...
Old 01 November 2007, 04:17 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Although I hate a blame culture, it does seem bizarre that no-one can be held accountable.

Maybe Sir Ian Blair is accountable for allowing such lax procedures to be in place. Surely there should have been one control room in charge of all the different units, so at least someone new the overall picture.

If military operations were run this badly, there would be untold "blue on blue" incidents.

"Poorly briefed firearms officers" sounds extremely scary to me - there's a foreign looking bloke somewhere, who may be a suicide bomber, so take someone that fits that description out with 7 bullets in their face...
Blue on Blue still happens more often than not!
Old 01 November 2007, 04:20 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Yes, Janspeed, it does... but in heavy conflict zones..... this was a guy minding his own business sat on a tube train.....
Old 01 November 2007, 04:27 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Correct, but IMHO it has to do with a trigger happy culture to catch the "bad guys" which has been imported from the US.

Too many ppl think this is an action film in realtime, and regardless of the situation, as we all now know there is no excuse for what happened to the guy.

Someone down the line is responsible, and least it has is the top level commanders, and if they accept the responsibility of the job they know the what can happen to them otherwise what is the point of issuing responsibility if not one person takes it?
Old 01 November 2007, 04:29 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Blue on Blue still happens more often than not!
You're having a laugh. In Afghanistan, some battles go on for 8 hours or more, with thousands of rounds being fired.

In some months out there, tens of thousands of rounds are fired in multiple engagements.

At this moment, the whole Parachute Regiment is taking part in battles.

Depsite all this, and often having inferior comms (to the police), there are only a handful of blue on blue incidents.

I haven't even touched on Iraq. Nor the fact that there are operations involving more than one service (Army, RN, RAF). Nor the fact there are many foreign military forces out there.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:30 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Your having a laugh. In Afghanistan, some battles go on for 8 hours or more, with thousands of rounds being fired.

In some months out there, tens of thousands of rounds are fired in multiple engagements.

At this moment, the whole Parachute Regiment is taking part in battles.

Depsite all this, and often having inferior comms, there are only a handful of blue on blue incidents.

I haven't even touched on Iraq. Nor the fact that there are operations involving more than one service (Army, RN, RAF). Nor the fact there are many foreign military forces out there.
We are not talking about that.

It was a comment related to Menezes.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:32 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

So directly after a terrorist attack, someone acting suspiciously runs from armed police

Personally I had hoped they would have not been found guilty. What if the next guy gets away, then blows up another train because the police were to aprehensive to shoot. Shame on the poor guy, but at that particular time given the circumstances he was a complete idiot to run.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:34 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

We are not talking about that.

It was a comment related to Menezes.
Actually, there are very few innocents being shot by police. This is because most incidents involving firearms are well coordinated.

I was talking about the Menezes operation being extremely badly run.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:35 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

RB5... you must of had your head buried in the sand (if it was buried in ***** then I will forgive you) it has been well documentated that he did not run... he simply walked on to the tube and sat down
Old 01 November 2007, 04:37 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
So directly after a terrorist attack, someone acting suspiciously runs from armed police

Personally I had hoped they would have not been found guilty. What if the next guy gets away, then blows up another train because the police were to aprehensive to shoot. Shame on the poor guy, but at that particular time given the circumstances he was a complete idiot to run.
Er, he wasn't acting suspiciously and he didn't run from the police.

Getting off a bus at a tube station, then finding the station closed and getting back on the bus, is not acting suspiciously. Thousands of people in London find this to be a routine thing.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:40 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

When you get chased by cops in Brazil you should run most times!

So imagine a guy who does not know the language or the country too well, and after what has just gone down a couple of day earlier?

The cops were not even being overt in their approach and they still "chased" him into the train, I mean WTF kind of stupid strategy is that?

Come on put 2 + 2 together: Trains and bombs no good + "suspicious" guy running into train station.........again!

CRAP police plans and trigger happy cops running around and chasing someone who has "dark" skin, I mean FFS the guy is Brazilian they don't even look remotely close the Middle Eastern folks, anyone who has lives in London or works there should know how to differentiate a least a little bit..........
Old 01 November 2007, 04:42 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol people need to follow the story from start to finish if theyre going to comment on something they know jack all about
Old 01 November 2007, 04:42 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

De Menezes never ran from the police. The police claimed he did, of course, but they then altered thier statement once the actual events had been leaked to the press.

So, De Menezes crime was looking a bit like a suspect from the previous days bombings, which got him shot in the face, several times. He had warning of course, yeah, someone "may" have shouted "POLICE" just as the first shot was fired, so he had at least 0.00001 seconds to duck
Old 01 November 2007, 04:43 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

don't be a troll Dave as I have been following the story.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:44 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Actually, there are very few innocents being shot by police. This is because most incidents involving firearms are well coordinated.

I was talking about the Menezes operation being extremely badly run.
So well coordinated that a shooting that went down about 5 weeks ago in a central London train station was so well covered up that all the ppl who witnessed it were questioned and MADE to sign Her Majestys secrecy act (or whatever you guys call it!) and it did not even get a mention on TV or the papers!

They were told he was a "bad guy" by the cops.....guess they dont wont a repeat of Menezes on TV!
Old 01 November 2007, 04:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
don't be a troll Dave as I have been following the story.
Oh give over, maybe you should understand what Im saying before suggesting Im trolling, I was aiming my comments to those that still believe he was legging it down the street and jumped the barriers at the tube station as originally reported, but wasnt factually correct.

Good enough explaination for you?
Old 01 November 2007, 04:47 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Running or walking fast to the cops is a crime by the looks of it!

Never seen anyone in London doing that!
Old 01 November 2007, 04:48 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Well I've only spent a week in the uk this year. I thought he was shown to be legging it on cctv?
Old 01 November 2007, 04:49 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
lol people need to follow the story from start to finish if theyre going to comment on something they know jack all about

LOL, you do realise this is scoobynet?

Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Google it, there are some vids of it somewhere, maybe on some news network or something.
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

So well coordinated that a shooting that went down about 5 weeks ago in a central London train station was so well covered up that all the ppl who witnessed it were questioned and MADE to sign Her Majestys secrecy act (or whatever you guys call it!) and it did not even get a mention on TV or the papers!
Not being sarcastic - just genuinely curious, but how did you hear about it then? And have you just broken Her Maj's secrecy act by mentioning it to us on here?
Old 01 November 2007, 04:50 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL, you do realise this is scoobynet?

No, this is real life, this is serious You dont make jokes on here... SwissTony is proof of that
Old 01 November 2007, 04:51 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Menezes was just another casualty of the war on terror, well done to the police for sending a warning signal to other wannabe terrorists about trying it on the tube
Old 01 November 2007, 04:54 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
Not being sarcastic - just genuinely curious, but how did you hear about it then? And have you just broken Her Maj's secrecy act by mentioning it to us on here?
No I have not broken anything yet today !

But the event occured in front of several ppl, and if you want the date and time........
Old 01 November 2007, 04:55 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Menezes was just another casualty of the war on terror, well done to the police for sending a warning signal to other wannabe terrorists about trying it on the tube
Yeah, cos exploding trains were massive problem before that.

Originally Posted by RB5-245
Well I've only spent a week in the uk this year. I thought he was shown to be legging it on cctv?
That's what the police initially claimed. Until they sort of remembered that they were lying, so they had to change thier story to the truth, which was that he didn't jump the barrier, and he didnt run from them.

Peksy bloody facts.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:55 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

......and regardless of the so called "war on terror" everyone should know what is going in their country.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:58 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

No I have not broken anything yet today !

But the event occured in front of several ppl, and if you want the date and time........
No thats ok, no further questions!

Quick Reply: Menezes