credit checks...

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2007, 01:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default credit checks...

situation is...

just been into a shop in the town centre that sells all electricals. very good rep, very good prices. with xmas coming up, i wanted to take advantage of the buy now pay off withing 12 months deal. no probs with that. saw a tv, home cinema setup and a stand for around £1000.

so the guy has to do the creidt check. i personally wasnt worried. have a mortgage, some debt, always upto date on payments etc, so i expected the green light and a nice 37" lcd for the footie tomorrow.

denied!

so i asked what it could be, and the asistant thinks mainly its the address. before me, my mother owned the home, and she was in quite a bit of debt and blacklisted due to a very messy divorce. now ive owned the house (mortgaged) since april 2005, so im assuming this is the problem, the address, and not me personally on my credit score.

the guy printed me off a letter for a company called "clydesdale financial services". i only have an address to write too, but i dunno what to write?

any tips from anyone. i wanna know if my house is blacklisted from the previous owner, irrespective of it being my mum, so they can reverse it.

does anyone have a phone number or any other tips to sort this out?

help really appreciated on this one, as the denied today affects me in the future for any credit etc.

andy
Old 02 November 2007, 01:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Experian Credit Expert, check credit rating, credit reports & file alerts - with Experian CreditExpert.co.uk

Worth checking out.
You could have been the victim of ID theft.
Old 02 November 2007, 02:05 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I went to Comet about 4 years ago to buy a washermatron for my clothings.
The subhuman assistant asked me if I wanted to buy now and pay in the future at 0%... I decided I would rather have the cash in my account than in theres for a few months so agreed to.
He then started to ask questions like, age, address, time there, etc and then told me I had been declined.

I did the whole credit rating thing with Equifax thing and I had missed one credit card payment once in the 6 months before! Not enough to reduce my score to being rejected for a £300 washamatron

I think their computer systems are a little bit silly...

I paid cash. Sorted...
Old 02 November 2007, 02:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

well on this letter, theres an adress to write too if you feel you have been rejected unjustifiably. i may try this avenue this afternoon.
Old 02 November 2007, 02:12 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Snazy
Exactly what Snazy said. Please for your own piece of mind dont interact with these muppets that call themselves experts in the shops. Contact the above & see whats happening.
Old 02 November 2007, 02:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just as a plus point.

I signed up to credit expert, read through the VERY detailed report they give you. Found a few abnormalities and contacted Credit Expert about it.

They wrote to the creditors for me, done a lot of work on my behalf, and helped me sort a lot out, to the extent I could get loans, car credit etc.

Its about a fiver a month if you stay joined up, and tbh during a "repair" time on your account, its money well spent.
Old 02 November 2007, 02:37 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Just as a plus point.

I signed up to credit expert, read through the VERY detailed report they give you. Found a few abnormalities and contacted Credit Expert about it.

They wrote to the creditors for me, done a lot of work on my behalf, and helped me sort a lot out, to the extent I could get loans, car credit etc.

Its about a fiver a month if you stay joined up, and tbh during a "repair" time on your account, its money well spent.
yeah, a 30 day free trial, but the £6.99 a month. ive just typed the letter out and im going to try this avenue first, as i genuinly think this is down to my mothers poor cred history.

will save the addy in my favs for reference fi this gets me nowhere. snazy much appreciated, knock 10p off your tattoo price

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2007, 02:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
yeah, a 30 day free trial, but the £6.99 a month. ive just typed the letter out and im going to try this avenue first, as i genuinly think this is down to my mothers poor cred history.

will save the addy in my favs for reference fi this gets me nowhere. snazy much appreciated, knock 10p off your tattoo price
lol cor your too kind mate.
Lovely thing about CE is they give you a nice detailed report so you can see exactly whats gone wrong. When you write to the companies they dont give you too much info
Old 02 November 2007, 02:47 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

This happened to me about 3 years ago, mega embarrising when your stood in the shop, and the little d**k comes over and annouces to every man and his ******* dog!! It was down to my brothers lack of payments on his mobile phone - but the whole house was blacklisted! I think you can pay aobut £30 to get it removed, but not sure who you need to contact sorry!!

Last edited by classic Subaru Si; 02 November 2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02 November 2007, 02:57 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

First up contact Clydesdale whatever it is and ask them who they use for their credit references, usually Equifax or Experian. Then ask the relevant credit reference agency for a copy of your file, they usually charge a few £ but should not be more than a £5. That will give you a pretty good idea as to why you've been turned down. If the entries are due to previous occupants of the house you can normally apply to have them removed.

I used to have terrible trouble trying to get credit a few years ago, never borrowed much and it was my lack of credit history that put them off. Turns out if I had a few credit cards etc. and was meeting the monthly payments on them then I'd get more credit. Couldn't get a credit card in the first place though to build up my history

Electrical shops / store cards etc. are a good place to start though. They rely on people forgetting to pay when the 12 months interest free is up. They then charge you interest on that 12 months and any time after that at 29.9% APR (read the small print!). Therefore they'll give credit to all but those with the lowest credit score.
Old 02 November 2007, 03:17 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Addresses are not blacklisted and haven't been for many years. Only individuals now have credit records.

It could simply be that you haven't lived in the current address for more than 3 years for example - each company has their own lending criteria and you are not entitled to credit even if you have a perfectly clean credit record.
Old 02 November 2007, 03:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Addresses are not blacklisted and haven't been for many years. Only individuals now have credit records.

It could simply be that you haven't lived in the current address for more than 3 years for example - each company has their own lending criteria and you are not entitled to credit even if you have a perfectly clean credit record.
ive lived in the house since 1991
Old 02 November 2007, 05:02 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Credit ratings can be harmed by any member of your family in the same address. Even if the previous occupants had the same surname, it will affect your credit rating.

Therefore your credit rating is directly affected by your mother's score, because you are deemed to be financially connected.

You will need to write to all the credit reference agencies (Equifax/Experian etc) and get them to put a statement of correction on your details.
Old 02 November 2007, 05:26 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Finance companies are getting quite a bit stricter since the "credit crunch" and the Northern Rock shenanigans. I recently got a loan on a car and getting finance was a hassle. I didnt get denied, but they were much more careful than I have seen them before

The rates are nastily higher now aswell, but thats to be expected I suppose. "Typical 6.3% APR" my ****!
Old 02 November 2007, 08:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Credit ratings can be harmed by any member of your family in the same address. Even if the previous occupants had the same surname, it will affect your credit rating.

Therefore your credit rating is directly affected by your mother's score, because you are deemed to be financially connected.

You will need to write to all the credit reference agencies (Equifax/Experian etc) and get them to put a statement of correction on your details.
il get this letter off tomorrow, and see what it brings. i see your point about connections etc, but as my mother hansnt lived with me for 2 years or so, and im totally independant of her. so hopefully they will see this and correct it.

thing is ive had a credit card with a £4.6k limit, a couple easy loans, storecards etc etc. quite a thick history for one so young, but all paid for and kept up with...
Old 02 November 2007, 10:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got knocked back for a two grand loan off Northern rock even though we have no debt, not mortgage and a good credit history, another guy on here got the same treatment, mainly as it isn't worth the admin, apparently my credit score was amongst the highest he guy at Natwest had seen !

So, Northern Rock, I say F*ck Em !
Old 02 November 2007, 10:20 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome

No, your 100% wrong. It would be illegal to do that.

It has absolutely nothing to do with addresses anymore.

Ask the credit expert - Credit questions answered

ddressed to the previous occupant, which is worrying me greatly. Will I be tarnished with the bad credit rating of the person I bought my home from and is my address 'blacklisted'?

R.C., Aberdeen

Mark says:

In short, the answer to both questions is no. It is a common misconception that an address can be 'blacklisted'. Credit reference agencies hold information attached to individuals at the addresses where they currently live, or have previously occupied. For example, you may still have information attached to you concerning the time you occupied your previous address, such as Electoral Roll details. However, this information remains attached to your personal credit file, rather than to your previous address. This is why potential lenders will ask you for details of your previous address during a credit application - they need to see the conduct of any accounts held by you at that previous address, but this information relating to you will not attach itself to the person who bought your home. Nor will any information about the previous occupant of your home appear on your credit file. As for the mail you are now receiving, do not open any of the letters addressed to the previous occupant of your home - simply mark them as 'Not Known At This Address' and return them to the address stated on the back of the envelope. This will make the organisation in question aware that their customer no longer lives at your address, and this correspondence should then cease.
Old 02 November 2007, 10:23 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

situation is...

just been into a shop in the town centre that sells all electricals. very good rep, very good prices. with xmas coming up, i wanted to take advantage of the buy now pay off withing 12 months deal. no probs with that. saw a tv, home cinema setup and a stand for around £1000.

so the guy has to do the creidt check. i personally wasnt worried. have a mortgage, some debt, always upto date on payments etc, so i expected the green light and a nice 37" lcd for the footie tomorrow.

denied!

so i asked what it could be, and the asistant thinks mainly its the address. before me, my mother owned the home, and she was in quite a bit of debt and blacklisted due to a very messy divorce. now ive owned the house (mortgaged) since april 2005, so im assuming this is the problem, the address, and not me personally on my credit score.

the guy printed me off a letter for a company called "clydesdale financial services". i only have an address to write too, but i dunno what to write?

any tips from anyone. i wanna know if my house is blacklisted from the previous owner, irrespective of it being my mum, so they can reverse it.

help really appreciated on this one, as the denied today affects me in the future for any credit etc.

andy
Theyll associate you, because you are close family. Addresses dont get 'blacklisted Andy, no matter what people tell you, but financial 'associations' like this are quite legal. You do have the right to have a note added to your file disassociating you from your mother though. A little on-line research should help, or you could visit your local CAB.

Simon
Old 02 November 2007, 10:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Theyll associate you, because you are close family. Addresses dont get 'blacklisted Andy, no matter what people tell you, but financial 'associations' like this are quite legal. You do have the right to have a note added to your file disassociating you from your mother though. A little on-line research should help, or you could visit your local CAB.

Simon
i presumed if it was address associated, that it may be the relation link simon. this letter ive typed out asks a couple of questions and only costs a stamp to send it off, so far anyway. will await a responce, but im generally very suprised considering i have no defaults etc to my name that im aware of. im very careful with my debts, always on time.
Old 02 November 2007, 10:31 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Here's a quote from the website referenced by KiwiGTI, confirming that financial associations are made.
Old 02 November 2007, 10:36 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

http://www.callcredit.co.uk/download...iationForm.pdf

This is a ready-made disassociation form that you can complete and send to both credit reference agencies. KiwiGTI really should apologise to Jerome.....
Old 02 November 2007, 10:56 PM
Will
BANNED

situation is...

denied!

andy
i got rejected for credit once. i went to experian and my credit was brill, it was because i wasent on the electoral roll, but i was its just the local council put in the address in wels. so it didnt come up on the experian checks
Old 03 November 2007, 01:32 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Credit score also uses name associtaion, so while it is true that addresses haven't been blacklisted since 1991, your name may be associated with your mother at the same address. File a letter of disassociation with experian and equifax - its free

p.s. - Just read the rest of the thread - Simon 69 is correct and KiwiGTI is, at best, misguided.

Last edited by fast bloke; 03 November 2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03 November 2007, 02:52 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Credit score also uses name associtaion, so while it is true that addresses haven't been blacklisted since 1991, your name may be associated with your mother at the same address. File a letter of disassociation with experian and equifax - its free

p.s. - Just read the rest of the thread - Simon 69 is correct and KiwiGTI is, at best, misguided.
No, I am quite correct. It is you lot that are misguided. Unless you have been named on a finance application with that person, be it a joint account, joint mortgage, guarantor etc then there is no financial association on your credit record.

There must be a financial association, not merely the same name at the same address.
Old 03 November 2007, 12:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

No, I am quite correct. It is you lot that are misguided. Unless you have been named on a finance application with that person, be it a joint account, joint mortgage, guarantor etc then there is no financial association on your credit record.

There must be a financial association, not merely the same name at the same address.

so in a nutshell, a couple of letters after this one, should sort out the mis-understanding, that is unless i have some hidden agenda on my own credit history im unaware of...
Old 03 November 2007, 12:08 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Yep - but you should get a copy of your own credit report to ensure it is accurate and that the recent decline hasn't shown up
Old 03 November 2007, 12:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

ok, thanks guys, il see what this letter i typed out yesterday yeilds. it is to a specifc person, who i would believe deals with this sort of thing full time, and not just some monkey working from a script
Old 03 November 2007, 11:46 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

You should just go and get your free trial report from Experian and Equifax first to see if there is anything adverse on there. Would save a lot of worrying about the unknown.

Experian Credit Expert, check credit rating, credit reports & file alerts - with Experian CreditExpert.co.uk
https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/...=gb_cpo_detail

They can hold different details so it's worth checking both.