Bannatyne's Gym membership...?

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2007, 04:57 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bannatyne's Gym membership...?

Hi all,

What's the best way to get these Bannatyne gym people to give me a cracking price on membership...?

They're offering me reduced to £50 joining fee (normally £200!!!) and then £40 a month after that for off-peak membership (that's fine for me, I work shifts).

I can pay the 12 months up front, but I want the very best deal. Any advice..?

Cheers,
Nige.
Old 06 November 2007, 05:16 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

You could buy a bike and a pair of trainers and get some proper exercise!

Or you could just give me the £530 and I will waste it for you!

Or you could just pay what they're asking, seems quite reasonable for gym membership, if that's what you're into!
Old 06 November 2007, 05:34 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Mention that other local gyms have waived the sign up fee and why don'y yhey do the same.
Old 06 November 2007, 05:58 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by Paul3446

Or you could just pay what they're asking, seems quite reasonable for gym membership, if that's what you're into!
Best bit of advice I've read on here. People doing the kind of money I've read on here just to go the gym need a head examination.
Old 06 November 2007, 07:30 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I go to the local council gym and costs me £16 a month, gets you into about 16 different gyms in the County, went to that posh Esporta with my mate who pays £60 a month, the machines etc in the council run ones were far beter and newer, IMO he is paying for the name, nothing else.

Mac
Old 06 November 2007, 07:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My gym membership has just finished and after 2 years I'm not renewing it either.
Started running now as we've loads of off road paths, bridleways around here and I feel 10 times better than I ever did going to the gym.

And it's cheaper.
Old 06 November 2007, 07:41 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

the joys of working at my place,free gym membership,free golf membership and 20% off all meals and drink in the restaurant
Old 06 November 2007, 09:11 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, but I'm set on joining. There seems to be rather more to it than just doing some exercise, so the decision is made, mad as a box of frogs or not.

Just looking for the best way to secure a good deal as opposed to advice on buying trainers and going to the local sports centre, valid arguments against joining they may be.

I'm also looking to do it somewhere away from the pollution that exists in my area (thanks to half of Eastern Europes HGV's) that has already affected my health.

Cheers,
Nige.
Old 06 November 2007, 11:40 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I've been a member of Bannatynes for nearly 4 years (That's well over £2k for me on full membership). They do the odd deal here and there to get people in. I paid £20 joining fee but you will not get anything off the monthly or yearly rates. I got a pack thrown in with towel, bag, face cloth, water bottle etc but I think that was on at the time.

There's a Fitness First, Oasis, a couple of small private gyms and a few authority run gyms around my area and they are all cheaper than Bannatynes. I chose the club because it has a more relaxed atmosphere, 1st class equipment, the pool/sauna/steam room/spa area rivals many expensive spa hotels and there's a wide range of classes. The Sensory upgrade that most of the Clubs now have is excellent for massage and treatments but a bit expensive.

I doubt you will be dissapointed, yes it costs a bit more than others but at least you're not in with the Chavs.

I have a mountain bile and trainers but when it's a hot and sticky it's nice to work out in an airconditioned gym. In winter it's also nice to relax in the 39degree spa and watch the snow fall out of the one way glass.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 07 November 2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07 November 2007, 10:43 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NACRO
Best bit of advice I've read on here. People doing the kind of money I've read on here just to go the gym need a head examination.
Depends on what you get out of it and how much you use it Andy.

I was going 3 times a week when I was paying aound that - mostly resistance work/free weights.

Running and cycling no substitute for what I was doing (and running on its own is as likely to cause more long term damage than good anyway)

Also gave inclusive access to pool/sauna/jacuzzu/steam room, all in decent surroundings without the resident chav/ned content that the councl run gyms/pools seem to provide these days.

£10 a week? hardly expensive.

Now, those that join and never go - different story.
Old 07 November 2007, 10:55 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Yep I go at least 3 times a week and it works out to about £3.50 a visit for me.

The local chav swimming baths cost about the same.

If you use the membership it's good value.

Cheers
Lee
Old 07 November 2007, 11:13 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by Devildog
Depends on what you get out of it and how much you use it Andy.

I was going 3 times a week when I was paying aound that - mostly resistance work/free weights.

Running and cycling no substitute for what I was doing (and running on its own is as likely to cause more long term damage than good anyway)

Also gave inclusive access to pool/sauna/jacuzzu/steam room, all in decent surroundings without the resident chav/ned content that the councl run gyms/pools seem to provide these days.

Now, those that join and never go - different story.
I forget what it's like for those of you living on the little island, on the mainland most of the municipal facilities I've used are clean, modern and as we don't have huge numbers of feral chavs mostly full of nice people.

480 quid a year (a quarter of the net monthly average pay in the UK) plus joining fee still sounds like a lot to me considering I joined one of the many 'fitness factories' that abound in more civilised countries for the princely sum of €150 per year. I guess what's needed is a shake up of the fitness industry in the UK to put these robbers out of business. Furthermore it isn't the actual sums involved that I see as the problem, it's the fact I hate being ripped off and not getting value for my cash.

I also find it a bit rich that people on here who are decrying the chav/ned population seem to be SUV driving, private plate toting, devil dog owning tattood types who some people might also put into that category*

*Please take the last paragraph in the spirit it is intended
Old 07 November 2007, 11:16 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I've been a member of Bannatyne's for a few years now. Currently paying £48/month.

Haven't been for months, and only went for a few months last year.

Should cancel it really, but keep telling myself I'll start going again next week. Once I start going I get into it and go 2-3 times a week. Putting a bit of a beer belly on now, so just might start going before Christmas.
Old 07 November 2007, 11:46 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

, it's the fact I hate being ripped off and not getting value for my cash.
If I go three times a week to the local gym/swimming baths it will cost me similar to my Bannatyne member ship with top notch machinery, classes, pool and spa in a quiet and relaxed atmosphere.
I class that as very good value.

I also find it a bit rich that people on here who are decrying the chav/ned population seem to be SUV driving, private plate toting, devil dog owning tattood types who some people might also put into that category*
I think you are getting your Chav's confused. Most of your usual council Chavs may have the expensive Reebok clothing and full Sky TV but the benefits don't usually run to a £30k SUV with private plate and an expensive gym membership. The carpark is usually full of middle management company BMW's and Merc's with the odd sports car, Cayenne or other SUV.

Cheers
Lee
Old 07 November 2007, 12:11 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by logiclee
If I go three times a week to the local gym/swimming baths it will cost me similar to my Bannatyne member ship with top notch machinery, classes, pool and spa in a quiet and relaxed atmosphere.
I class that as very good value.

I think you are getting your Chav's confused. Most of your usual council Chavs may have the expensive Reebok clothing and full Sky TV but the benefits don't usually run to a £30k SUV with private plate and an expensive gym membership. The carpark is usually full of middle management company BMW's and Merc's with the odd sports car, Cayenne or other SUV.

Cheers
Lee
Glad you like the gym, still seems like a lot of cash for what you're getting to me.

You are aware that having money has nothing whatsoever to do with ones chav status?

Drives an SUV, private plate.

X5, Escalade and a private plate

X5, private plate, needs rolling off beach back into the water.
Old 07 November 2007, 12:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

No I still think you need to re-look at the definition.

ChavScum

Chavs, Hoodies, Neds, Townies, Kevs, Charvers, Steeks, Spides, Bazzas, Yarcos, Ratboys, Skangers, Scutters, Janners, Stigs, Scallies, Hood Rats, whatever you know them as, this site is about them, Britain's peasant underclass that are taking over our towns and cities!

Posh and Becks are certainly not peasants, not likely to get an Asbo or steal from your gym locker even if their celebraty lifestyle is not to everyones taste.

Also have a look at this thread to see what sort of people we are talking of, genuine chavs.
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...f-streets.html

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 07 November 2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07 November 2007, 01:16 PM
Buckwheat
Scooby Regular

Glad you like the gym, still seems like a lot of cash for what you're getting to me.

You are aware that having money has nothing whatsoever to do with ones chav status?

Drives an SUV, private plate.

X5, Escalade and a private plate

X5, private plate, needs rolling off beach back into the water.
Old 07 November 2007, 01:31 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forget what it's like for those of you living on the little island, on the mainland most of the municipal facilities I've used are clean, modern and as we don't have huge numbers of feral chavs mostly full of nice people.

480 quid a year (a quarter of the net monthly average pay in the UK) plus joining fee still sounds like a lot to me considering I joined one of the many 'fitness factories' that abound in more civilised countries for the princely sum of €150 per year. I guess what's needed is a shake up of the fitness industry in the UK to put these robbers out of business. Furthermore it isn't the actual sums involved that I see as the problem, it's the fact I hate being ripped off and not getting value for my cash.

*Please take the last paragraph in the spirit it is intended

Taken so

My SUV has a standard issue plate and my tattoos are not of the "love" and "hate" kind Actually, having thought about it, there's nothing remotely "S" about my "UV"

Fortunately, where I now live has very few feral chavs at all, however the nearest municipal facility is 35 miles or so away. Perhaps the two are linked ?

Last edited by Devildog; 07 November 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Infraction reversed
Old 07 November 2007, 02:03 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Cheers Devildog, as my comments were aimed at you with the idea of having a bit of banter (something that seems almost impossible in the Brave New World of infractanet) it's good that you took them in the spirit they were intended.

Lee, it's perfectly possible to be a chav, be law abiding and have millions of pounds. The people I've alluded to are perfect examples. Things have moved on since 'chavscum' reared it's hooded head.

Getting back on topic don't any of you think the type of sums we are talking about are excessive in relation to the facilities provided? I've given you an example of the place I use 150 euro a year- it's like a fitness factory.
About 30 eliptical trainers, same number of running, step and rowing machines. Fitness plates (never use), spinning classes, aerobics classes, fitness boxing (whatever that is) and about 4 of each sort of weight machine and an extensive free weight area. Plasma screens with machine based audio feeds throughout.
It's kind of like the easy jet of fitness but with less of the associated hassles. No frills but low cost and everything clean and brand new. It's about time someone brought the concept to the UK.
Old 07 November 2007, 02:16 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Getting back on topic don't any of you think the type of sums we are talking about are excessive in relation to the facilities provided?
No not at all, I have the use of one of the best gyms, to attend a mixture of classes and to use the full size swimming pool, sauna, steam room, spa bath and then the restaurant and bar and social events.
All for around £3.50 a visit.

Or put it another way my choice to drive a thirsty car means my weekly gym membership would get me about 50 miles. My weekly gym cost works out at just over £10 a week. My choice of car means my weekly fuel cost is around £70 a week.
Many people pay over £10 a week for a TV package.

£10 a week is not a lot of money to me and I find it's worth spending it to work out and then relax in one of the best Health Clubs in the area.

Cheers
Lee
Old 07 November 2007, 02:24 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I didn't realise you used the gym as an adjunct to your social life with bars, eating and 'events'.

I don't view the gym as something that reflects my social status or as somewhere to do anything other than work out 5 times a week which I guess explains our different opinions.

I guess you enjoy telling people that you're a 'member'
Old 07 November 2007, 02:36 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I guess you enjoy telling people that you're a 'member'

No it's called having friends.

I have coronary heart disease and regular workouts ensure I stay fit and healthy. About three times a week is what I manage.

My Wife, Mum, Dad, a few friends and some workmates are members so yes it's nice to have a healthy lunch and a nice smoothy with someone you know after a session in the gym and a swim.
My Dads 66 and doesn't use the gym but finds the membership fee worth it for just the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and spa.

Cheers
Lee
Old 07 November 2007, 02:41 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Getting back on topic don't any of you think the type of sums we are talking about are excessive in relation to the facilities provided?
Actually Nacro, the topic was what's the best way of getting Bannatynes to give me a good price on membership, not whether or not the sums are excessive or something about X5's and chavs, dogs, tattoos or social standing etc.

I see it as a place for me to get fit in a nice environment, with good facilities and also a way to meet more new people.

However, thank you for keeping my topic on the first few pages of the board.
Old 07 November 2007, 02:54 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Actually Nacro, the topic was what's the best way of getting Bannatynes to give me a good price on membership, not whether or not the sums are excessive or something about X5's and chavs, dogs, tattoos or social standing etc.

I see it as a place for me to get fit in a nice environment, with good facilities and also a way to meet more new people.

However, thank you for keeping my topic on the first few pages of the board.
No problem, it's good to hear that some of those feeling the need for more social contact are able to find it at the gym they go to. Likewise being able to meet up with family members who you may not have the chance to see in more usual settings. Most of my social contacts tend to be in settings such as the pub, playing team games and other more usual places. I viewthe gym as somewhere I spend time doing serious training rather than a frippery, some sort of addenda to a social life.

I'd imagine the way to get any gym to give you a discounted price is to go in there and hit them with what their competitors are offering and then negotiate. For example many of the 'lifestyle' places near me offer discounts for people who work for the same company as me, presumably to attract people with wealth and power. Maybe you could try the same angle?
Old 07 November 2007, 03:11 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Most of my social contacts tend to be in settings such as the pub, playing team games and other more usual places. I viewthe gym as somewhere I spend time doing serious training rather than a frippery, some sort of addenda to a social life.
I don't drink much and don't enjoy the pubs and atmosphere in the local town, I hate football and gave up rugby due to a back injury . I also moved to my current location a few years back so many of my friends are 250+ miles away and I do a job which doesn't make me or my colleagues too popular so I guess for me most of the "usual places" are out.

I'm not going to be into serious training as you are and don't aspire to the sort of ironman body that you've got through 5 days a week training (I always thought you were supposed to let the muscles rest and rebuild? ), so I guess the gym as a frippery and some sort of addenda to my social life sits fine with me.

I'd imagine the way to get any gym to give you a discounted price is to go in there and hit them with what their competitors are offering and then negotiate. For example many of the 'lifestyle' places near me offer discounts for people who work for the same company as me, presumably to attract people with wealth and power. Maybe you could try the same angle?
I'll certainly give this a go, though it seems they've cornered the market and their main competition is the local council leisure centre (let's not get into that again...).
I shall however, try the discount for people working for the same company I do angle, which may offer a touch of power , though I'm unsure if it's a place that offers wealth. I shall test my negotiating skills as per your advice.
Old 07 November 2007, 03:28 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by v8voodoo

I'm not going to be into serious training as you are and don't aspire to the sort of ironman body that you've got through 5 days a week training (I always thought you were supposed to let the muscles rest and rebuild? ), so I guess the gym as a frippery and some sort of addenda to my social life sits fine with me.

I'll certainly give this a go, though it seems they've cornered the market and their main competition is the local council leisure centre (let's not get into that again...).
I shall however, try the discount for people working for the same company I do angle, which may offer a touch of power , though I'm unsure if it's a place that offers wealth. I shall test my negotiating skills as per your advice.
I certainly don't have an 'ironman' body however 5 times a week training isn't excessive and neither does it need to be at the expense of your overall health. An hour or so a days cardio work varied over running, elliptical, cycling and swimming will keep you reasonably fit without being an obsessive.
Of course weight training is an area where you need to allow rest time for rebuilding which is why I tend to hit certain areas of the body on each visit. What I'm finding as time goes on is that I have to spend far more time working the lower body than the upper body to avoid looking like one of the oh-so tragic chicken leg brigade I see grunting, sweating and 'helping' each other over in the free weights section.

It might pay to check out your desired club using something like google, some of the individual clubs belonging to the chain you are thinking of using get some pretty poor reviews on the forums.
Old 07 November 2007, 03:38 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Ah I see.

I'll check it out Nacro......

Old 07 November 2007, 04:55 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Just back from Bannatynes, usually call on my way home from work, finish around 2.30pm.

Just a half hour in the gym section, 15 mins on cross trainer and 15 mins on the bike. I never do free weights but do use the machines.
On the wet side just a dozen lengths in the pool, some time in the steam room and a relax in the spa.

A lot quicker than normal but I have a meeting to attend later.

My Dad was in, he joined after a free friends and family weekend. I used to see him most weekends and the odd time midweek. Now I see him most weekends and two or three times mid week which is great.
The usuall afternoon crowd were in which is mainly the retired or bored housewifes and the odd shift worker.

Do have a visit around your local club before joining as some have better facilities than others and some are better run than others.

Cheers
Lee
Old 08 November 2007, 08:37 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Paul3446

I did that Paul about 3 years ago. Jacked in my £58 a month David Lloyd membership and bought a mountain bike and a pair of asics and jobs a goodun. Fitter than I have ever been and (if I include the club resteraunt, extra petrol and such like on top of my membership) I am about £1000 a year better off

I do miss the jacuzzi, sauna and steam though and the delightful totty that frequented said chambers of delight
Old 08 November 2007, 11:44 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz

I do miss the jacuzzi, sauna and steam though and the delightful totty that frequented said chambers of delight

I must be going at the wrong time of day. All I get is 60+ year olds or 40+ year olds that need to loose 3 or 4 stone.

All the totty go in the evening.

Cheers
Lee

Quick Reply: Bannatyne's Gym membership...?