Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Did we really land on the Moon

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2007, 08:50 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did we really land on the Moon

Was mentioned on the radio this morning, and not sure whether it has ever been discussed on SN, (more than likely has at some point, so may well be MIAL)

So did we really land on the Moon

Do you believe we did, or was it all faked a la Capricorn One

I personally believe we did go, and would like to think that no one would fake something like that
Old 08 November 2007, 09:08 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

in terms of the 'first' landing, I'd say no, but maybe we have since then.
Given the competition, the huge public interest at the time, and the lack of technology, it just seems a little too perfect that nothing went wrong
Old 08 November 2007, 09:12 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
in terms of the 'first' landing, I'd say no, but maybe we have since then.
Given the competition, the huge public interest at the time, and the lack of technology, it just seems a little too perfect that nothing went wrong
Things did go wrong, and the US landed on the moon on more than 1 occasion.
Old 08 November 2007, 09:17 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
it just seems a little too perfect that nothing went wrong
That's pisspoor reasoning.
Old 08 November 2007, 09:28 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Of course man has been to the moon. Nasa's only mistake was the doctoring of certain images to make them more striking and believable to us earthlings.

That is where a lot of the controversy arose with the cross hairs, shadows on the images etc.
Old 08 November 2007, 09:30 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The landings were real.

People who still don't believe this and think it's all a big conspiracy (like the faking of the pentagon 9/11 plane crash etc.) are stupid, plain and simple.

NEXT topic please.
Old 08 November 2007, 09:33 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

No reason for lying especially seeing as there have been a few landings. Strange tho, just like concorde, development has moved on but we have not progressed anywhere. Taken a backward step

We should have landed on Mars in the 80's/90's and by now we should have landed on 1 of Jupiters moon's. 1 reason i think its stopped is because of H+S fears. i believe the astronaugts were subject to harsh cosmic radiation whilst they were up there.
Old 08 November 2007, 09:51 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

No. Reason?

Radiation. TV interview many years ago with a Russian scientist saying why Russia never went to the moon. (Why stop if America beat you there), and his answer was very interesting and often ignored.

Basically, Our Sun is one big Nuclear reactor, and as such gives off Radiation into space. The Earth is protected by this Radiation by our `O Zone` layer, and the effects can be seen via the Northern/Southern lights. Even with this `O Zone` layer, man can still get cancer from the Sun (Skin Cancer).
Go outside of the Earths atmosphere and into space, and you are no longer protected.
This Russian Scientist said that for a man to fly to the moon, or indeed fly into space, you'd need a spaceship made of 14" lead in order to protect the people inside. Yet America sent men to the moon protected by 2mm Aluminium. No side effects or anything. Strange.

Von Brown (creator of the Rocket) once said in order to get to the moon, you'd need a Rocket something like 5 times the size of the one America used. Personally I believe Scientists who know what they are talking about rather than the American Government.
Back then Properganda in the cold war was king. The moon landings are pure properganda. If not why haven't we been back? technology is far superior now, so it should be a piece of p1ss getting there and back.
Old 08 November 2007, 09:57 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Personally I believe Scientists who know what they are talking about rather than the American Government.
Yeah, because the Russians didn't have any sort of vested interest on casting doubt on the Americans achievement

The reason we havent been back is simple - Why? Why spend the billions it would cost to do something you have already done? What do you hope to learn from returning?

As for the 14mm lead story and what have you - Are you saying every moon landing was faked? Did they fake Apollo 13 too?

In answer to the original question. Yes we landed on the Moon, and JFK was shot by a lone assassin (Oswald) and twin owers collasped because 2 planes flew into them.
Old 08 November 2007, 09:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

This Russian Scientist said that for a man to fly to the moon, or indeed fly into space you'd need a spaceship made of 14" lead in order to protect the people inside. Yet America sent men to the moon protected by 2mm Aluminium. No side effects or anything. Strange.
:
So, you're saying no one has ever been into space, ever?
Old 08 November 2007, 10:04 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

youll have to ask the locals
Old 08 November 2007, 10:16 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
The reason we havent been back is simple - Why? Why spend the billions it would cost to do something you have already done? What do you hope to learn from returning?

As for the 14mm lead story and what have you - Are you saying every moon landing was faked? Did they fake Apollo 13 too?

Why Climb Everest if it's already been climbed?

It wasn't 14mm thick lead, it was 14 Inches.

If the `O Zone` disapeared tomorrow we'd all fry. Yet I suppose all we would have to do it build houses out of 2mm Aluminium, and we'd all be fine
Old 08 November 2007, 10:21 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would hope that if the US could put a man on the moon they could make an effort and put all 300 million of them there.
Old 08 November 2007, 10:23 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

So, you're saying no one has ever been into space, ever?
Dogs? Yes
Monkeys? Yes
Humans? No

Go run through a Nuclear reactor for a few minutes, then see how long you live for afterwards.
Neil Armstrong and his mates have had absolutely no side effects from spending longer than a few minutes exposed to the radiation from the sun. Look at Chernobyl (spell check) when that blew. Many people died from the Radiation. Maybe they should have took shelter behind some Aluminium plates.
Old 08 November 2007, 10:30 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Classic. So all those Shuttle landings, last weeks' spacewalks, and the international space station - all faked?

This gets better and better.
Old 08 November 2007, 10:34 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
The landings were real.

People who still don't believe this and think it's all a big conspiracy (like the faking of the pentagon 9/11 plane crash etc.) are stupid, plain and simple.

NEXT topic please.
Nope i disagree entirely, with regard the Pentagon plane crash, where was the plane ? The MOST secure building in the world which has more CCTV cameras per square mile than anywhere on earth and not one picked up a low flying airliner which hit the building making a hole no bigger than 10ft across, ohh and no scorch marks on the ground either the novice pilot managed to fly at a height of 3ft and hit the outer wall cleanly, WOW.

The only footage was of an explosion just AFTER impact, yeah right.

We have all seen the planes hitting the tower and you can see the devastation at impact (Why none after the Pentagon was hit).

As for the towers why did a building a block away fall down just after the towers ? Buildings are demolished (Blown up) on a daily basis and no other buildings are affected, the towers fell as they where designed too, inwards so why the sudden collapse of this other building ? Something to hide there perhaps.

As for the moon landings nahh dont agree that happened either, yes they can get into space and float around fixing the odd satalite but landing on the moon in the 60's nope not having it.

If it was true then why havent they been back in 40 odd years ?
Old 08 November 2007, 10:38 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Why Climb Everest if it's already been climbed?
Because its a personal achievement, and doesnt cost billions of dollars?

It wasn't 14mm thick lead, it was 14 Inches.

If the `O Zone` disapeared tomorrow we'd all fry. Yet I suppose all we would have to do it build houses out of 2mm Aluminium, and we'd all be fine
Have a read here

SPACE.com -- Surviving Space: Risks to Humans on the Moon and Mars

Dogs? Yes
Monkeys? Yes
Humans? No

Go run through a Nuclear reactor for a few minutes, then see how long you live for afterwards.
Neil Armstrong and his mates have had absolutely no side effects from spending longer than a few minutes exposed to the radiation from the sun. Look at Chernobyl (spell check) when that blew. Many people died from the Radiation. Maybe they should have took shelter behind some Aluminium plates
You genuinely believe no human has ever been in space?

Was the shuttle disaster staged?

I have met plenty of nutters that think the moon landing were faked, but never one that thought the entire space programme for every country was staged.
Old 08 November 2007, 10:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I believe that they did land on the moon especially since I met a good few of the NASA employees and one of the astronauts who went there and had long conversations with them. The bit about exposure to the sun's radiation is flawed since the radiation would be largely blocked by the space suits and the space vehicles etc. The ozone layer does protect us to a large extent but clothes will also stop the radiation effects.

I also trust dubya about as far as I can spit!

Les
Old 08 November 2007, 10:43 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Ultimate proof that it didn't happen: Fake Moon Landings The moon landings are fake!
Old 08 November 2007, 10:44 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Where have you been Theo?
Old 08 November 2007, 10:47 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Been doing a big Photo Shop project for NASA
Old 08 November 2007, 10:48 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Classic. So all those Shuttle landings, last weeks' spacewalks, and the international space station - all faked?

This gets better and better.
All within the Earth protective atmoshere. next question?
Old 08 November 2007, 10:49 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Oh sorry. That wasn't the definition of "space" that I'm used to.
Old 08 November 2007, 10:57 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
You would hope that if the US could put a man on the moon they could make an effort and put all 300 million of them there.
I just spat coffee on my monitor
Old 08 November 2007, 11:00 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Because its a personal achievement, and doesnt cost billions of dollars?

Have a read here

SPACE.com -- Surviving Space: Risks to Humans on the Moon and Mars

You genuinely believe no human has ever been in space?

Was the shuttle disaster staged?

I have met plenty of nutters that think the moon landing were faked, but never one that thought the entire space programme for every country was staged.
I'm not saying the entire space programe is faked. I'm saying man has never been on the moon, or flown in space outside the Earth protective layers.
Old 08 November 2007, 11:12 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

No. Reason?

Radiation. TV interview many years ago with a Russian scientist saying why Russia never went to the moon. (Why stop if America beat you there), and his answer was very interesting and often ignored.

Basically, Our Sun is one big Nuclear reactor, and as such gives off Radiation into space. The Earth is protected by this Radiation by our `O Zone` layer, and the effects can be seen via the Northern/Southern lights. Even with this `O Zone` layer, man can still get cancer from the Sun (Skin Cancer).
Go outside of the Earths atmosphere and into space, and you are no longer protected.
This Russian Scientist said that for a man to fly to the moon, or indeed fly into space, you'd need a spaceship made of 14" lead in order to protect the people inside. Yet America sent men to the moon protected by 2mm Aluminium. No side effects or anything. Strange.

Von Brown (creator of the Rocket) once said in order to get to the moon, you'd need a Rocket something like 5 times the size of the one America used. Personally I believe Scientists who know what they are talking about rather than the American Government.
Back then Properganda in the cold war was king. The moon landings are pure properganda. If not why haven't we been back? technology is far superior now, so it should be a piece of p1ss getting there and back.
Main reason that Russia didn't go to the moon was that their "moon rocket" was never launched reliably. Rather than building one very big engine, they tried to cluster something like 25 smaller ones together. It tended to go "BANG" on the launchpad rather than do anything useful.

J.
Old 08 November 2007, 11:18 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying the entire space programe is faked. I'm saying man has never been on the moon, or flown in space outside the Earth protective layers.
The Earth doesn't have protective layers.

There are two Van Allen belts around the earth which trap radiocactive particles from solar flares. The inner one has higher levels than than the outer, so the Apollo missions flew a trajectory that only nicked it. Outside the Van Allen belts, the radiation level actually drops to a slightly higher level than Earth, but still very safe.

There was however a real risk of solar flares causing dangerous radiation bursts. The missions flew when solar activity was low.

Oh, and you don't need masses of lead to stop radiation. Alpha particles are stopped dead by a glass window for example.
Old 08 November 2007, 11:19 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Next question!
Old 08 November 2007, 11:22 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

No. Reason?

And yet the russians were the first to put a man in to space and had people manning the MIA space station for anything up to a year at a time. Are you telling me that has 14" thick lead walls?
Old 08 November 2007, 11:23 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by EvilBevel
Ultimate proof that it didn't happen: Fake Moon Landings The moon landings are fake!
See-these guys would know if anybody does

Last edited by dpb; 08 November 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Did we really land on the Moon