Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Heston Blumenthal yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2007, 04:50 PM
gam1415
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heston Blumenthal yesterday

His perfect chilli con carne contained two bottles of red wine and the best part of a bottle of Jack D. It comes with its own anesthetic.

He went round trying the offerings at the US Chilli Cook Off - background music was Ring of Fire
Old 05 December 2007, 05:02 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

What part of the chilli took 5 hours to cook ? And what were all the muslims doing in the pot?
I wasn't paying full attention.

Windyboy.
Old 05 December 2007, 05:08 PM
gam1415
Scooby Regular

(1) The short ribs of beef (2) keeping the veggies together in case they form a breakaway movement.

No wonder the prices in his Dat F*ck are so astronomical.
Old 05 December 2007, 05:08 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I've enjoyed previous recipes, but that chilli was taking the p!ss. Way too complicated and over engineered.

Nice devils dick chillis

Also saw a bottle of Dave's Insanity sauce at the chilli comp.
Old 05 December 2007, 05:13 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Only watched one show by this guy and I'm afraid he's just too **** for my liking. I saw him make a fish pie which took about 3 days to fully make, and he served it on a bed of seashells with a big shell containing an iPod so you could listen to the sea whilst eating it. He even went into the mood of the Langustines FFS. I love good food, but I can't take it to that level

Last edited by corradoboy; 05 December 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05 December 2007, 05:17 PM
gam1415
Scooby Regular

Everything has to go back in the fridge for several hours during the preparation process. You'd need a fridge the size of a garage to follow his recipes. Where would I put the beer and half eaten pizza while this was going on?
Old 06 December 2007, 06:47 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I caught about 10 minutes of his programme and thought he was a ******. If you want a good chilli con carne look for the Photographer's Chili (sic) thread on here. No bolloxing around for 5 hours/days and a great meal.

Trending Topics

Old 06 December 2007, 09:06 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I saw the one where he was trying to make the perfect cheeseburger - he even made his own processed cheese ! WTF ?? who would spend hours dicking about to make a burger - the whole point is that you buy one from Mac D's or whoever because there isnt any real food around.
Old 06 December 2007, 09:21 AM
Manni
BANNED

Isn't a big clue that this isn't a blue peter style here's how to cook something type program in the title 'In search of perfection'?
I think some of the people commenting here might be better off watching Saturday Kitchen or Can't cook won't cook if they want recipes they can replicate themselves.
The whole idea of the program is that he spends days buggering around making everything as esoteric as possible.
Old 06 December 2007, 10:48 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The point is the show gives a detailed break down of how flavour is structured on a plate and how to get the best from food. It proves or disproves established theory about flavours, how marinades work etc. He also breaks new ground by understanding that the look and sound of a dish changes how people percieve it to taste. He is a three star chef and owns what was voted the best restauant in the world he was hardley going to get the microwave out was he.
To the person who called him a ****** you are a ****. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and you should try to be happy that one of the bests chefs in the world is English and even the french have to swallow thier pride and admit it.
Most chefs make a fish pie that tastes good. He makes one that conjurs memories of being at the seaside.

Last edited by Luan Pra bang; 06 December 2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06 December 2007, 11:02 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

well said. LPB

one of my colleagues goes to his restaurant one a year for the old 16 course special and says its fantastic. stuff you'd never ever try in your life, like snail porridge and egg and bacon ice cream.....

tempted myself to give it a try.
Old 06 December 2007, 11:06 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Its a great place to go and a fantastic place to eat but personally I have had the 16 course degustation menu now and wont have it again for a while until it changes abit more. Its a great place to east though and worth every penny of the £700 it cost us for four people to eat last time.
Old 06 December 2007, 11:07 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

To complain about how impractical this sort of cooking is completely misses the point.
Old 06 December 2007, 11:38 AM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

And some of the stuff you can cook really easily without too much hassle - his chips are ace as is his mashed potato. The corn muffin this week loooked quite straight forward.....

The good thing is that you don't have to do it all if you don't want. You can pick and choose or just try some of the techniques and it will make a big difference to what you eat.
Old 06 December 2007, 01:24 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
The point is the show gives a detailed break down of how flavour is structured on a plate and how to get the best from food. It proves or disproves established theory about flavours, how marinades work etc. He also breaks new ground by understanding that the look and sound of a dish changes how people percieve it to taste. He is a three star chef and owns what was voted the best restauant in the world he was hardley going to get the microwave out was he.
To the person who called him a ****** you are a ****. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and you should try to be happy that one of the bests chefs in the world is English and even the french have to swallow thier pride and admit it.
Most chefs make a fish pie that tastes good. He makes one that conjurs memories of being at the seaside.

F*ck me something I agree with LPB about, i've found the series amazing on how the combination of ingredients work together to create not just a flavour but an entire sensation. I would never have the time/ nor i would say the talent to create such dishes, but they look create to try.
Old 06 December 2007, 06:25 PM
gam1415
Scooby Regular

Yeah, my original post was tongue-in-cheek at the amount of alcohol (and effort) that went into a 'peasant' dish. The intro to each programme says that there are elements of his recipes that can be introduced into the viewers' cooking. This is usually the case (his programmes got me to modify the way I cooked chips and roasties), but I did wonder if anyone cooking a chilli at home would really get anything out of this particular programme. However, I am deeply impressed by his scientific approach to cooking, including the psychology of eating. It is also great to see the rapport with other members of his team compared to Ramsay.
Old 07 December 2007, 06:58 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

LPB, I am not a **** and HB is a ****ing ****** IMO. So bollox to you.
Old 07 December 2007, 09:46 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

I love his shows. The same as I love top gear.

Its totally impractical to rent out an airfield, a bugatti and a fighter jet for the day and find out which one wins in a race.. but what has practicality got to do with it? Its entertainment and we learn little snippets of information about the jet and the car at the same time.
Old 07 December 2007, 11:00 PM
Will
BANNED

[QUOTE=webmaster;7466599 Its entertainment .[/QUOTE]

exactley