Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Old grandad that shouldn't be driving, should I report Him?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2007, 05:13 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old grandad that shouldn't be driving, should I report Him?

Well there I was sitting in the scoob at the back of tesco bliping the throttle and listening to the radio when I here "SMASH" look in the mirror and see a car has reversed in to a parked car. He then pulls away as if nothing as happened

So I jump out and run after him first shouting at him to stop then banging on the window. He winds the window down (all windows completly steamed up including windscreen) and he says as cool as a cucumber "whats wrong". This guy was really really old and when I say old I mean 90 to 100 years he look like the guy who runs the powerstation in the simpsons.

After I stopped him he had to turn round it took him 5 minutes! he then hit the curb and caused a q while he turned round again. I took his details down and left them on the persons car but should I report him to the police? He said he didnt know that he had hit the car (I was parked 15 spaces away and I heard it) it was not a little bump it was definetly a smash. His driving was shockingly bad and Im sure its time he hangs up his keys.

What should I do?
Old 05 December 2007, 05:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Driving away from the scene of an accident, report it.
Old 05 December 2007, 05:22 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

For fear of receiving an infraction I'll have to pass on the over zealous "Grass the old geezer up and get him off the streets pronto before something serious occurs!"

TBH, I'm not sure who you'd speak to. The police I suspect won't be interested because he hasn't committed an offence AFAIK.

Only advice is to make sure you park as far away from him as possible.

EDIT - OK, he's committed an offence but can the police revoke a driving license?
Old 05 December 2007, 05:22 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

report it ......
Old 05 December 2007, 05:23 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

If the person who's car was damaged reports it, he'll possibly be in trouble anyway, problem is next time he might cause something more serious.

Allan
Old 05 December 2007, 05:27 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

report him. A huge amount of accidents are caused by these people. They believe that just because they are driving slowly they cannot be any trouble to anyone else...

...like the clot who drove down the wrong way of a duel carrigeway. "But I was only going slowly" I remember hearing him say. Not much consolation
Old 05 December 2007, 06:02 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Well the guys whos car he hit has just rung me up to say thanks, he said that he loves his car and parks it as far away as possible to avoid it getting damaged!

To be honest I dont want to get grandad in trouble I just want him to stop driving, hes the sort of person to run someone over and not even notice!

Will drop in to the police station and give his name and number and see what they say, although last time I went to the police station was to hand a shotgun in and got fed up waiting so tapped on the window and pointed at the gun They thought I was threating to shoot them! and pressed the panic button! I wont take a gun this time!

I am sure when you get to about 75 years old you have to sign a letter to say you can drive safely? For anyone who knows it, it was the tescos on Junction 10 on the M20 he had to navigate the huge roundabout to get back to his house which after seeing his driving in Tescos was going to be impossible for him to do!

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2007, 06:08 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Report him. I got hit by an old codger back in 05. Blind as a bat and deaf as a post he was. Shouldn't have been on the road. I'm all for retests once you hit a certain age.
Old 05 December 2007, 06:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was probably busy watching someone sat in his car blipping the throtle in time with the radio.

Agreed though, shouldn't be driving, me and my cousin got reversed over by a fat woman so encumbered by her rolls and resultant health problems she couldn't turn round so I was chatting to my cousin and she reversed out, I was down the kerb on my bike she reversed into me and I knocked my cousin over as she teied to reverse up me, luckily the car (Skoda Estelle) went onto the bike frame as it blew on choke fumes at us as people screamed at her to stop, she was doing that old person, too many revs thing, it was scary, she eventually heaved her fat *** out, had a quick look (no concern) mad a huffing noise at us and got back in and p1ssed off leaving us shaken and me with bent wheels.

So shop the selfish old get.
Old 05 December 2007, 06:10 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
although last time I went to the police station was to hand a shotgun in and got fed up waiting so tapped on the window and pointed at the gun They thought I was threating to shoot them! and pressed the panic button! I wont take a gun this time!
That amused me. I'm surprised you weren't charged with something.

Steve
Old 05 December 2007, 06:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I would certainly report this. Wether anything is done is another matter, the classic "oh he's just old" or "if we revoke his license then his independence will be removed" lines will no doubt be trotted out.

Just because you are old does not mean you should be except from prosecution.

There have been a few accidents here recently where old people have driven into storefronts because they were "confused" about which pedal to press. Thankfully no injuries have occurred but at some point they will (think there was a case in the US where some old nutter killed a few people after driving into a market).

If it had been someone our age that became "confused" then I have very little doubt we'd be deemed a menace and have our license revoked. Double standards?
Old 05 December 2007, 06:27 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Presumably the injured party will be reporting it to insurance and police and it is up to them to make sure he has a valid license (over a certain age i'm sure you have to get tested again don't you?)

Apart from that leave it up to the other guy to sort but make it clear that you feel his driving is well below standard and you'd be happy to testify to that.

I don't think driving away is actually an offence. It only becomes an offence if you don't report it within 24 hours.

5t.
Old 05 December 2007, 07:08 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
although last time I went to the police station was to hand a shotgun in and got fed up waiting so tapped on the window and pointed at the gun They thought I was threating to shoot them! and pressed the panic button!
lmfao

Just got a mental image of a load of donut sucking, coffee swilling wooden tops falling over themselves trying to get away from the gun. LOL

Did you get taken down by taser?

Old 05 December 2007, 07:19 PM
HUDDERS1
Scooby Regular

i would report him, aim sure aim not alone in thinking we all see mature drivers going to slow and tunnel vision etc. next time this gentlemen could hurt someone or worse. i think when you get to 70ish you should be asset on your standard of driving and a medical.
Old 05 December 2007, 07:45 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
lmfao

Just got a mental image of a load of donut sucking, coffee swilling wooden tops falling over themselves trying to get away from the gun. LOL

Did you get taken down by taser?

Thankfully I managed to shout through that I just wanted to hand it in (it was during the gun amnesty a few years ago I had no license so though i better get "shot" of it). First time i had been in the nick there was along q and all i wanted to do was hand it in. There was a seperate room for reception and every time the door opened I tried to ask can I hand this gun in and go but they kept saying "stay out of the room until its your turn". So i thought if i just tap on the window to get her attention and point at the gun she will know what I want without having to wait any longer. Thinking about it now it was a stupid thing to do but at the time i just wanted to get out of there ASAP too many scabs hanging about! They wernt to worried because I was still behind the glass screen and they must of seen my panicked face!