Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is the new trend to drive without lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2007, 09:49 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the new trend to drive without lights?

Is it the new trend thesedays to drive without any lights on at all once it goes dark

I cant believe the amount of cars I have seen driving round without them on

Anyone else see this where they live or is it just here people like the stealth mode

Also whilst im on the rant about lights, driving up the street earlier (about 2pm so still daylight) I had to give way to some oncoming traffic, and some guy in a Pug would not move until he had adjusted his seat and stuck his front fog lamps on, only then did he proceed to drive (no headlights, just his front fogs)
Old 05 December 2007, 09:57 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Angry

Obviously the driving test should be translated into every language on the planet.

Old 05 December 2007, 09:58 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Also whilst im on the rant about lights, driving up the street earlier (about 2pm so still daylight) I had to give way to some oncoming traffic, and some guy in a Pug would not move until he had adjusted his seat and stuck his front fog lamps on, only then did he proceed to drive (no headlights, just his front fogs)
Yeah, I've seen this front fogs on and just sidelights. Idiots!!
Old 05 December 2007, 10:29 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

i have auto lights so dont worry about it. although it is shocking how many people forget or simply dont bother thinking about it.
Old 06 December 2007, 12:31 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Laods of people on side lights. Peeves me off big time. I mean how hard is it to use a sodding switch?

I noticed the problem became more widespread when the old SOX street lights (yellow) were replaced with the SON type ones.

Strange though as I think the newer lamps although brighter give poorer rendering of objects as the contrast between light and dark is so gradual its harder to make out objects on the roadside. (IMO)
Old 06 December 2007, 08:27 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

all the ones I have seen havent even had the side lights on

It amazes me how they don't realise as the dashboard lights are off too, so makes me think they are actually doing it deliberatly
Old 06 December 2007, 08:33 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Its just average dumb-*** motorists in a wee world of their own, not even nearly concentrating on their driving. The street-lights in most towns are bright enough and peoples observation skills are poor enough that they dont notice if they have headlights on or not. As for the dash not lit up, it just shows how often they bother looking at their instruments.

As for sidelights, I dont see the point of them. Seriously, why do manufacturers fit sidelights? If its dark enough to warrant some kind of lighting to mark your cars position, use the chuffing headlights. do people really think a pair of 5w bulbs makes them any more visible in poor weather?

Trending Topics

Old 06 December 2007, 08:36 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

i leave my lights on in the subaru, as they switch off when the engine is off, plus having the lights on, even in the day, helps you get noticed more and reduces the risk of having a collision (hopefully ).

When anyone has their Fogs on behind me, I just switch my rear fogs on, give them a taste of their own medicine. And the reverse, if someone is driving with their rear fogs on (and I am behind them) I drive with my full beam on then .
Old 06 December 2007, 08:39 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Yup 2 yesterday on the way home from work and one on Tuesday.

Pulled up next to the Tuesday culprit at lights (on my bike), knocked gently on his window and suggested that he 'turns his lights on'....

Now why couldn't he work that out for himself ...

Agree with the OP, a growing trend indeed, growing proportionately in line with the dropping of the average IQ on our little island
Old 06 December 2007, 08:55 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the law needs to be updated, similar to the bike law. Lights to switched on while driving.
Old 06 December 2007, 09:01 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The problem is with the advent of speed cameras the Police no longer need to have a real presence on the road to 'fight crime'.. I've only been driving for 10 years but even I have seen a massive decline in the number of Police patrols, I could go a whole week in my local area without seeing a single Police traffic car.
Old 06 December 2007, 09:01 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slipstream_uk
I think the law needs to be updated, similar to the bike law. Lights to switched on while driving.
There is no law that says bike lights must be on, its just all modern bikes this happens by default.. Not UK law though
Old 06 December 2007, 09:06 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Nate*
i leave my lights on in the subaru, as they switch off when the engine is off, plus having the lights on, even in the day, helps you get noticed more and reduces the risk of having a collision (hopefully ).

When anyone has their Fogs on behind me, I just switch my rear fogs on, give them a taste of their own medicine. And the reverse, if someone is driving with their rear fogs on (and I am behind them) I drive with my full beam on then .
Same ere.

One of the issues is the bizarre thing that manufacturers have done. Making the dash ALWAYS illuminated. Seat are one manufacturer. So on a well lit road, its poss to not realise. Not that that is an excuse. But why put the dash lights on all the time?
Old 06 December 2007, 09:13 AM
ThE RoChFoRd OnE!
Scooby Regular

Look with two thirds of the driving population learning to drive on a camel or an elephant is it any wonder there's problems

As for lights how many camels do you know with fog lights
Old 06 December 2007, 10:22 AM
blockmonke@fsmail.net
Scooby Regular

6 or 7 just coming out of asda every night
Old 06 December 2007, 10:27 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream_uk
It's going to be an EU law in the next few years to build cars with daytime driving lights. Not sure how it will be applied to the old cars though.
Old 06 December 2007, 10:33 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I've seen quite a few recently in the mornings when it's not quite light yet, some people just think that lights are used to see things and not to help you be seen as well.

Windyboy.
Old 06 December 2007, 11:15 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was on the dual carrigeway the other night and nearly run up the *** of a ford onion with both tail lights out If it was not for the glimmer of light from his number plate I would have probobly hit him.
Meanwhile I get stopped in newquay on monday, breathalysed and given a verbal warning for doing 33 in a 30 zone being checked for alcohol fair enough but that takes the ****, especially when you have to keep your eyes on the road for idiot kids with no lights whatsover on their bmx's which the police do **** all about.
Old 06 December 2007, 12:04 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
It's going to be an EU law in the next few years to build cars with daytime driving lights. Not sure how it will be applied to the old cars though.
Same as it is now......

Not at all
Old 06 December 2007, 12:08 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

back in the the day, i remember mark 3 cortinas which had parking lights (you leave you indicator on) for when parking on the road.

now there aren't enough driveways / garages / parking spaces for people, cars get left in the most stupid places in the dark.

like next to keep left islands (which are also usually unlit) and on blind bends.

its all dangerous now a days and i always keep the speed down round town.
(i still leave it in 1st/2nd gear though!!!!)
Old 06 December 2007, 12:09 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
do people really think a pair of 5w bulbs makes them any more visible in poor weather?
Try driving in thick fog with your sidelights on, and then with your main beam on, and see which one gives you better visibility Main beam just lights the fog up infront of you and makes it even harder to see!
Old 06 December 2007, 12:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Perhap's they are just looking to get a bit more excitement out of life!

Les
Old 06 December 2007, 12:19 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Came across a couple of folk with no lights on as I drove onto work this morning.

I've found the only way I can get through to these peeps is to switch my own lights off for a fraction of a second, then flash them a couple of times - otherwise they are completely oblivious !

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 06 December 2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06 December 2007, 06:06 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Someone just drove past me with no lights on just as I was going into teh house.

What makes this more extreme is its pitch black, hissing it down with rain, and this is a pretty dimily lit residential road with a sharp 90 degree bend....which they negociated with ease....the dozy ****** must have night vision or something

What made it worse is that it was a Renault Megane.....which have automatic lights!!

Although, thinking about it, being a megane; They probably broke
Old 06 December 2007, 06:07 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ThE RoChFoRd OnE!
Look with two thirds of the driving population learning to drive on a camel or an elephant is it any wonder there's problems

As for lights how many camels do you know with fog lights