Mobile Phones again ....

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2007, 07:25 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Phones again ....

On the news again today.....

Motorists caught driving dangerously while using a mobile phone face being sent to prison under new guidelines.

Now I agree with this, met a guy coming towards me yesterday who had the phone in the crook of his neck, whilst smoking a cig, whilst negotiating a corner not very well I might add....

What gets me is the reasons behind it.....

It follows findings by the Transport Research Laboratory that having a phone conversation could be more dangerous than drink-driving. According to the research, a driver on the phone is more distracted than one who has drunk as much as the legal alcohol limit.

How long before they ban you driving children around Im sure a screaming toddler is more of a distraction on the motorway than a mobile phone on a hands free kit
Old 20 December 2007, 07:52 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

"Hands Free" sets are apparently more dangerous than drunk drivers! so prepare for a TOTAL phone ban.... but what about smoking? I guess that'll be next....

Naked flame...
Distracting...
Harmfull...
Old 20 December 2007, 07:56 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Motorists caught driving while using a car face being sent to prison under new guidelines.

It follows findings by the Transport Research Laboratory that having a car could be more dangerous than wrapping yourself in bubble-wrap and hiding under the bed. According to the research, a driver is worse than Hitler.
Old 20 December 2007, 07:56 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Yep ....

New Rules for Drivers

No smoking

Must travel alone so dont get distracted... No children or passengers

All Radios to be removed... dont want the news distracting people

Have I missed anything?

And whilst we're policing all this all the tax dodgers and non insured will be laughing away at us...

Think I better go do something .... <<Steps down from soap box>>>
Old 20 December 2007, 08:07 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by girl-in-a-scoob
Have I missed anything?
Yes, Sat Navs... Dangerous things those. You have to look at them and everything!

It still amazes me that you can get a cigarette out of your bag on the floor, light it with a match, hold it in one hand whilst driving the car entirely with the other hand, being carefull that it doesn't touch anything, regularly knock the ash off the end every couple of minutes in to that disgusting ash pit, but you cant answer the phone ??????????????????????????????

I imagine that the person who made that rule stinks.... sorry i mean smokes...
Old 20 December 2007, 08:18 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Oh Yeah I forgot the sat navs... much safer to be loooking at a map

But.. isnt this a government that wants us to tax our cars online, do all our shopping online, stay out of the citys and towns by getting rid of the car parks...

hang on...

what DO we need these cars for
Old 20 December 2007, 08:27 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Having 3 pedals is just plain asking for trouble, when you're trying to concentrate of which pedal to use with which foot YOU COULD KILL PEOPLE!

All cars must be fully automatic with auto braking systems fitted by 2009!

Oh, and dont get me started on that rear view mirror!

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2007, 08:49 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

From personal experience I'd say i-pods destract you just as much if you can't control them from the dash......not illegal yet, but surely as distracting trying to search for an artist or song etc....
Old 20 December 2007, 09:24 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Not the use of the phrase "could be".

Anything "could be" more dangerous than DD

It's not unlike the phrase "up to". Your broadband has get speeds UP TO 8meg etc. etc.
Old 20 December 2007, 11:31 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I just hope they don't ban w@nking while driving
Old 20 December 2007, 11:34 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I just hope they don't ban w@nking while driving
Old 20 December 2007, 11:37 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I absolutely agree with this. Using a phone whilst driving distracts more than anything else. The reason being you need to concentrate quite hard on a phone conversation, when compared to a face to face one - It is an entirely different mental process.

So yes, the sooner this is bought in the better. I managed without a mobile phone in the car for 10 years or so, I am sure I can manage again.
Old 20 December 2007, 12:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with Pete Brant.

Les
Old 20 December 2007, 12:52 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Motorists caught driving while using a car face being sent to prison under new guidelines.

It follows findings by the Transport Research Laboratory that having a car could be more dangerous than wrapping yourself in bubble-wrap and hiding under the bed. According to the research, a driver is worse than Hitler.

Drive a untaxed uninsured un mot'd car aroud with no liscense,get caught and face a £80 fine. Get caught on the phone and face the death penalty
Old 20 December 2007, 01:00 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Its got to the point now, because there are no police on our roads, that driving a ****ter with no tax and insurance is attractive to some people cos the risk of getting caught is virtually nil, and an 80 pound fine is cheaper than the 1800 i paid for insurance this year!!!!!
Old 20 December 2007, 01:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If any mod is reading this, please can we have a thread merge?

Anyway, as I understand it, this is just so that the most serious cases can get a higher sentence if necessary. Wasn't there a trucker caught texting who'd ploughed into someone else's car? Otherwise, the law is not much different to present.
Old 20 December 2007, 01:11 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

At least give us an alternative before hounding us the roads. Last year we took the baby to do the christmas shopping to plymouth on the train it was late arriving packed to the rafters, and on the way back it was cancelled nd we had to wait an hour for a bus to pick us up.

21st century modern public transport, dont make me ******* laugh I better go before I have a falling down moment and go on the rampage
Old 20 December 2007, 01:14 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

21st century modern public transport, dont make me ******* laugh I better go before I have a falling down moment and go on the rampage[/QUOTE]

Quality mate!!
Old 20 December 2007, 01:17 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

FWIW I posted this on the other thread a few minutes ago:

If you are driving with one hand albeit on the phone, texting, a CB Radio, smoking, eating or beating the kids to a pulp you are not concentrating on driving no matter what way you dice it up.

Now you have an accident while doing any of the above you expect the law to be nice and fluffy? I think not. It's like speeding we all do it but when we get caught we go ape.

The main problem here is that we no longer have any consistantcy in our legal system. This means that for doing the above we will see the motorist being sentanced to more than some ****** breaking into houses in your neighbourhood.

The whole situation stinks but until the bulk of the public realise you have to vote these parasites out to make an effective change.

Motorists pay more tax than any other sector. Even smokers are not penalised as much. We have more motorists than ever on the roads so we are the easy target.

Until Sh1thead Brown and his cronies are removed there will be no way of improving our lot. He is borrowing more and more and someone has to shore up the deficit and that someone like it or not is us

Now some of you may think why the political angle? Well this is inexstricably linked to the cash flow problems we have in this Country. Yes the Police are using cameras to raise revenues but why is this? the Government will not give them enough money that's why. So it's no surprise Government will be looking for ways to raise more cash from the motorist.

So with this in mind use hands free but FFS vote these to55ers out at the first opportunity.

* Flame Suit Firmly Zipped Up As the Do-Gooders will be along shortly *
Old 20 December 2007, 01:22 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A spokesman said that "tests showed that driving whilst on the phone made them much less better drivers"

Wow this guy was at the back of the queue when brains were being handed out.
Old 20 December 2007, 01:23 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Supercue
FWIW I posted this on the other thread a few minutes ago:

If you are driving with one hand albeit on the phone, texting, a CB Radio, smoking, eating or beating the kids to a pulp you are not concentrating on driving no matter what way you dice it up.

Now you have an accident while doing any of the above you expect the law to be nice and fluffy? I think not. It's like speeding we all do it but when we get caught we go ape.

The main problem here is that we no longer have any consistantcy in our legal system. This means that for doing the above we will see the motorist being sentanced to more than some ****** breaking into houses in your neighbourhood.

The whole situation stinks but until the bulk of the public realise you have to vote these parasites out to make an effective change.

Motorists pay more tax than any other sector. Even smokers are not penalised as much. We have more motorists than ever on the roads so we are the easy target.

Until Sh1thead Brown and his cronies are removed there will be no way of improving our lot. He is borrowing more and more and someone has to shore up the deficit and that someone like it or not is us

Now some of you may think why the political angle? Well this is inexstricably linked to the cash flow problems we have in this Country. Yes the Police are using cameras to raise revenues but why is this? the Government will not give them enough money that's why. So it's no surprise Government will be looking for ways to raise more cash from the motorist.

So with this in mind use hands free but FFS vote these to55ers out at the first opportunity.

* Flame Suit Firmly Zipped Up As the Do-Gooders will be along shortly *
This is quite correct: we don't need a law that says you can't use a phone, we already have a law for driving without due care and attention and one for dangerous driving. If you're driving like an idiot, you face the consequences.
Old 21 December 2007, 02:21 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Filthy left wing lunatic communists ain't gonna stop me. They stop me I will beat them to death with my mobile, talk about irony. Then instead of getting 2 years for being on the phone, I will only have 18 monthes for murder.
That'll teach the crazy communist bastids
Old 21 December 2007, 02:29 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by kingofturds

Drive a untaxed uninsured un mot'd car aroud with no liscense,get caught and face a £80 fine. Get caught on the phone and face the death penalty

because driving a car with no tax does not automatically up your chances of harming others......and before you say uninsured drivers harming others causes terrible financial problems, you cant punish people for their inability to insure against an illegal act in that way.
Old 21 December 2007, 02:39 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
because driving a car with no tax does not automatically up your chances of harming others......and before you say uninsured drivers harming others causes terrible financial problems, you cant punish people for their inability to insure against an illegal act in that way.

If you can't afford to drive then don't I am sure they can get a lift to work or use a bike instead of putting other peoples property at risk.

This bunch of ultra left wing bunch of facists should cracking down on these criminals, dishing out some pain and shipping them off to some remote prisons built in the hebridies. These are the scum that need some respect beaten into them not some overtaxed person answering a hands free call