Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Royal Mail scam.

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2007, 05:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry Royal Mail scam.

Got a card through the letter box today, telling me I owed postage on something, so along I go to the sorting office, only to find it wasn't for me: our shi tbag council has named a new road TWO letters different from ours, and, of course, Postie doesn't know where it is

Anyway, when I got there, imagine my surprise to find the queue out of the door, along the back of the office and halfway to the street, over 40 people. And by the time I reached the front, it was STILL 40 or so.

And about 80% of those coming out were looking WELL p*ssed off clutching large Christmas cards.

Turns out the PO won't deliver them if they are over a certain size, unless you put 48p postage on, not 34p

So............you buy the card, attach a first class stamp, thinking nowt of it, and it's not delivered. Not so good.

Wait, it gets better.............for the Royal Mail, that is. What they DO deliver is a card asking for £1.12 excess postage.

You go to collect whatever it is, thinking £1.12, it must be a parcel , and it's a card. 12p excess postage and a £1 FEE for the PO to tell you about it

If that's not a scam, I've never seen one.

In the short time I was there, I bet they made £30.

And this is the company that'll be whining for an increase in postage again and shutting post offices because they are losing customers

Alcazar
Old 20 December 2007, 06:10 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scam it may seem to you, but the amount of people tied up in processing mail that hasn't been properly paid for is what costs us £1 per item to sort out. Would you give a service for free in the company you work for?

As for the council naming a road similar to an existing one, that's not uncommon, and to postman/women sorting millions of extra poorly addressed/stamped/presented mail at this time of year, the amount of mistakes is bound to go up.

So, you buy the card, check the size http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...2&catId=400029
check the cost of postage, put the correct postage on, take a bit of time to put the correct name and address and POSTCODE of the person you're sending it to, the postie then delivers it, you give him a xmas tip
Everyones happy
Old 20 December 2007, 06:29 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

oh and first class goes up by 2 p next april..oh what joy
Old 20 December 2007, 06:38 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

What is a scam from the RM - my missus was on the website and followied a link to buy stamps online - great idea she thinks, save queuing.

One sheet (this is important) of 100 2nd class stamps - 24 quid.

Lovely, saves a bit of hassle.

Postage for ONE sheet of stamps, not a box, not a carton, not a roll - A SINGLE SOLITARY SHEET....

£4.10

An envelope, a stamp (surely they get this at cost???) and 20 seconds of someone's time - FOUR POUNDS AND TEN PEE sterling.

Now that's a scam!!!
Old 20 December 2007, 07:08 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Could always not collect it, wonder what they would do then? do they open it to find a return address or does it get lost in the mire?
Old 20 December 2007, 07:13 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

While I think that some of the Post Office's employees seem to be stuck in an age when the unions thought that they could run the business better than anyone else, I was impressed by receiving a Christmas card without a postcode and placing my town in the wrong county!
Old 20 December 2007, 08:17 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

A bit off topic but still about the PO.

We received a Chrimbo card today, it was one with heavy 3d lettering saying 'NOEL' which you could feel through the envelope (which was one of them self stick ones,) anyhoo as soon as I looked at the back it looked seriously like it had been previously opened As I opened it you could see kinda stress marks and little tears, also it wasn't stuck anywhere near as securely as these types of envelopes normally are, my thought was that the postie had figured that there was something dangerous contained in it and opened it for my safety, surely they don't open peoples mail to see if they can nick whatever the package contains Na they're far to honest citizens to do that sort of thing surely!

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2007, 08:53 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Scam it may seem to you, but the amount of people tied up in processing mail that hasn't been properly paid for is what costs us £1 per item to sort out. Would you give a service for free in the company you work for?
Very true, but I wouldn't have put some complicated system in place which quite clearly is not very user friendly. It was so simpler when first class stamps did the trick for any card as long as they were under the weight. So why did it have to change? Have they been to the Labour school of increasing charges on the sly?
Old 20 December 2007, 10:28 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
A bit off topic but still about the PO.

We received a Chrimbo card today, it was one with heavy 3d lettering saying 'NOEL' which you could feel through the envelope (which was one of them self stick ones,) anyhoo as soon as I looked at the back it looked seriously like it had been previously opened As I opened it you could see kinda stress marks and little tears, also it wasn't stuck anywhere near as securely as these types of envelopes normally are, my thought was that the postie had figured that there was something dangerous contained in it and opened it for my safety, surely they don't open peoples mail to see if they can nick whatever the package contains Na they're far to honest citizens to do that sort of thing surely!

My sisters old flat had this problem. Xmas cards and anything the looked like a birthday car were always opened by some scumbag and rifled for cash/vouchers.
she never found out if it was the postie or someone else in the block of flats doing it though.
Old 20 December 2007, 10:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ask to see the letter/package/parcel and say "I don't want it, return to sender" ...... simple!

Last edited by pslewis; 20 December 2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 20 December 2007, 10:35 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by pslewis
I ask top see the letter/package/parcel and say "I don't want it, return to sender" ...... simple!
Is that like top see tur vee?
Old 21 December 2007, 09:21 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Got a card through the letter box today, telling me I owed postage on something, so along I go to the sorting office, only to find it wasn't for me: our shi tbag council has named a new road TWO letters different from ours, and, of course, Postie doesn't know where it is

Anyway, when I got there, imagine my surprise to find the queue out of the door, along the back of the office and halfway to the street, over 40 people. And by the time I reached the front, it was STILL 40 or so.

And about 80% of those coming out were looking WELL p*ssed off clutching large Christmas cards.

Turns out the PO won't deliver them if they are over a certain size, unless you put 48p postage on, not 34p

So............you buy the card, attach a first class stamp, thinking nowt of it, and it's not delivered. Not so good.

Wait, it gets better.............for the Royal Mail, that is. What they DO deliver is a card asking for £1.12 excess postage.

You go to collect whatever it is, thinking £1.12, it must be a parcel , and it's a card. 12p excess postage and a £1 FEE for the PO to tell you about it

If that's not a scam, I've never seen one.

In the short time I was there, I bet they made £30.

And this is the company that'll be whining for an increase in postage again and shutting post offices because they are losing customers

Alcazar
why do i never see you around scunny alcazar?

i was at the sorting office t'other day picking up a couple ebay vinyl records. several people infront and most were collecting xmas cards. one chavvy c*nt was told he had to pay the excess charge as it was like an A4 sized envelope i think. he said "f**k dis, i aint payin no f**kin charge innit" and ripped the card up, walked out

i was pissing myself along with most the que. shame there wasnt a fresh tenner in there in two pieces too
Old 21 December 2007, 11:27 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Send the fee to the person posting the card!!!
Old 21 December 2007, 12:02 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well,i sent a recorded delivery item (my timesheet) to my agency last thursday, has it turned up yet,nope, thats 6 working days and 7 processing days and stil it hasnt turned up, i sent the day after a normal letter and it was received, the recorded one was to bristol, 50 miles away,the other london, 200 miles away,work that out

i now dont get paid due to royal mails ***** up,as usual,the tracking syste, is useless,i put the number in, only items delivered can be tracked,try later.

great help,cheers royal mail,u deserve your bad repuation.
Old 21 December 2007, 01:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I frequently did: I HAD to, no options

As for the council naming a road similar to an existing one, that's not uncommon, and to postman/women sorting millions of extra poorly addressed/stamped/presented mail at this time of year, the amount of mistakes is bound to go up.

So, you buy the card, check the size http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...2&catId=400029
check the cost of postage, put the correct postage on, take a bit of time to put the correct name and address and POSTCODE of the person you're sending it to, the postie then delivers it, you give him a xmas tip
Everyones happy
Yeah, see, this is partly my point:It HAD the correct addy AND POSTCODE on it, but thicky sorter and Postie MISread it

Even when I went in, and handed the guy the card, he brought the item out and read it out as my addy. I took it off him, turned it round and asked him to read it again........slowly. THEN he saw the mistake.

POSTCODE? All it seemed to do was get the item to Scunny

Alcazar