Need advice on car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2007, 10:45 PM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on car purchase

Hi guys,

Hoping some of you can offer some wisdom on this predicament.

I am trying to purchase a car via a private sale, the car has been in the garage having some work done so I went with the seller to collect the car today.

When we got there I noticed the cars tax had expired at the end of November. This is no big issue as the car has been sat in the garage for a while. So we went round to the post office with documents to tax the car. When we got to the post office I noticed that the MOT certificate was also out of date (end of November) and the owner only had half of the log book. He has the whole 2nd page which includes the new keeper supplement (which has been filled in from when he bought the car). The problem that arises is he has never received the full log book and as far as I can see from an HPI report he has never been down as a registered owner of the vehicle (maybe lost in post and owner forgot about?).

The car is being MOT'd tomorrow morning and then getting taxed using the new keeper supplement he still has. I am just unsure about buying the car with half a log book. I know I can request a new log book from the DVLA, but what would happen if the owner who is registered on the log book contested that he still owned the car? Is a log book a legal document to say who owns the car?

I have been looking for cars for ages now and this one fits the bill perfectly, the dodgy documentation puts me off though. The owner seems legit and trustworthy, he just seems a bit useless .

Any advice appreciated.
Old 20 December 2007, 10:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walk away ............... no, sorry, RUN away!!

The so called 'Owner' has not registered the car has he? How long has he owned it? Why was it in the garage? Did he buy a knackered car and selling it on?

Does he own it at all??????????

There are plenty of cars out there - tell him to sort all the paperwork and you will buy it .......... or, as I would, get one which is 'right'
Old 20 December 2007, 10:57 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

as above, the log book doesnt say who owns the car, merely the registered keeper.
Old 20 December 2007, 11:17 PM
B-B
Scooby Regular

If it doesnt feel right - trust your instinct. Is this really the only car like this available anywhere at that price? If the answer is yes then you also have your answer.

Run............
Old 21 December 2007, 06:54 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

This doesnt seem 100% does it? Well walk away, or I can see a thread with, "I bought a stolen / chop shopped car" what do I do about it.

At the moment its a buyers market so go some where else.... fast!
Old 21 December 2007, 09:18 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Don't commit yourself as the situation stands.

If you really want the car and can be patient just tell the seller you will proceed when he has all the necessary paperwork in good order.

Someone will be receiving SORN notices as well so you want to avoid all that.

Did seller say how long he had had the car and, out of interest, what is it?

If you have a few spares hours you can always phone Cardiff and ask for their advice?

But, as said, there are plenty of decent motors out there with paperwork