Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

credit card cloned

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2007, 06:17 PM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down credit card cloned

tried to buy some tickets on line today & the transaction was refused. strange since i had a good idea what was left in my current account. checked my bank statement on line only to find that since the middle of december some tw*t has been helping themselves to my money. £400+ to be exact.
however one of the transactions was for a t-mobile & a tesco mobile phone top up. hopefully someone can get a number for this & hunt them down. another was for a room at a travelodge.
the bank has stopped the credit card with immediate effect & are going to refund all the money taken. can,t say fairer than that.
Old 31 December 2007, 06:34 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No chance. That's what they normally buy - phone top ups because they can't be traced. Been to any dodgy websites? Downloaded anything you shouldn't? Could someone else in the house have accidentally put something on your PC?? etc etc

At least it is a credit card so you'll get it back.

5t
Old 01 January 2008, 09:33 AM
the watchman
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

not really a credit card but a debit card so straight out of my account. only me & missus with no kids. and only me uses pc & definately no dodgy websites - pc scanned every 3 days for spyware etc.
i can probably pinpoint when the cloning took place - we went shopping to meadowhall & bought some x box games from zavvi ltd. after a bit of sherlock holmes work i,ve found out that most of the transactions originated from the sheffield area. but as you say cannot find any names or addresses.

great start to the new year - could be worse mot & 50k service due on 20/1/08 - my pioneer avic x1-r in dash sat nav packed up & went to dealers for repair yesterday (so stuck with original radio at moment) and last of all got my tax bill for last year 10k by january 31st - wheres the rope?
Old 01 January 2008, 10:08 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The other half had her purse stolen just before chrimbo, cash and cards were taken.....

they managed to use the cards, despite no record of the pin no,s being with the cards !!!

the card companys are playing silly buggers and saying she left the numbers with the cards....

chip & pin ....ha dont make me laugh.....

how come they can still swipe the card and make payments!!

Mart
Old 01 January 2008, 10:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I had similar and investigated and found out it was a student who attended college in Wembley. I had his name and even a rough address for him. He had paid his student fees with my card and also several £150 London congestion charge penalties. I am 99% sure he got the number from a Wembley firm that processed payments for an Internet site where I had bought a printer.

I thought the cops might be interested - silly me - and I don't believe the bank took any notice. I eventually got most of the money back. Pain in the **** so good luck. dl