Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

But they're usually so well behaved.....

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2007, 07:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default But they're usually so well behaved.....

BBC NEWS | England | West Midlands | Woman hurt in rottweiler attack
Old 31 December 2007, 07:41 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I came in here planning the defend this bread..

Then I looked up the stats to prove the OP wrong !

Back fired a bit... http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf

Does seems to be a dangerous dog... stats wise !
Old 31 December 2007, 08:01 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

That is a very informative link and certainly worth a read. dl
Old 31 December 2007, 08:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately it's only really informative to the uneducated, David. If you have spent years around properly trained dogs it's obvious what can and will happen when certain breeds that are untrained are kept by the uneducated.
Old 31 December 2007, 08:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Another "All hard dogs will kill" thread. Don't brand all dog breads with the same stick.

All Skinheads will beat you up for nothing
All Black people steel
All Impreza drivers are Chav's
All Police are W-nkers
All criminals turn out to be Peodophiles once there computer is searched
All Muslims are terrorists

As for the story itself, it truely is horrible
Old 31 December 2007, 08:34 PM
Haven'tGotAScooby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stilover
All Black people steel
All Police are W-nkers

And what's your point...
Old 31 December 2007, 08:41 PM
swiftnick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Haven'tGotAScooby
And what's your point...
Don't judge a book by its cover

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2007, 08:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Haven'tGotAScooby
And what's your point...
That not all Rottweilers are child killers.

For every badly trained dog, there are thousands very well trained.

I have a Staffie, and every time I take him out for a walk every other dog owner expects my dog to attack theirs. Only it's their dog thats pulling like hell on the lead while mine is sitting down (off the lead) waiting for them to pass.

Staffie attacked someone, and people say all Staffies attack. Not true
Old 31 December 2007, 08:45 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Another "All hard dogs will kill" thread. Don't brand all dog breads with the same stick.

All Black people steel
All Police are W-nkers

As for the story itself, it truely is horrible
As I said a million times.. its not the bread its the dog.

However sadly more people "train" their Rottys to be less than social... I would suggest its down to the dogs good points being most useful for bad things.. its size.. its strenght... its bite...

Used to be the GSD.. Rottys look meaner and thus the "hard" people want them
Old 31 December 2007, 08:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
As I said a million times.. its not the bread its the dog.
Killer loaf!!

Old 31 December 2007, 08:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Speaking as a non dog owner

This boils down to responsibilities again does it not.

As people have pointed out responsible owners, those that own the dog for the right reasons, not as a toy, a lifestyle accessory, a statement of thier hardness, something to keep the kids 'appy.

Resposible owners who buy thier animals from other responsible owners/breeders and do it for the right reasons, they then take their responsibilities as the onwer seriously. loving training, caring for and educating (you know what i mean) thier animal.

This is a lot less likely to be the sort of owner/animal that causes the terrible sorts of problems we have been reading about.

We live in a disposable society, a society where you can buy pretty much anything (or steal it) ad do with it what you want. You only have to ask the RSPCA or any of the other organisations about neglect and cruelty to find this out.

yet agian this seems to boil down to people who know their rights but not their responsibilities
Old 31 December 2007, 08:57 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

LMAO bread!!

Well I think I'll stand down on this one
Old 31 December 2007, 09:03 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Unfortunately it's only really informative to the uneducated, David. If you have spent years around properly trained dogs it's obvious what can and will happen when certain breeds that are untrained are kept by the uneducated.
On the "other" thread I got shot down for stating what I thought was obvious i.e. that you're better off being bitten by an ankle biter (small yappy dog) than a powerful dog like a Rottie, GSD etc. The article seems to support my view.

Just seems to me that powerful dogs are like guns - should only be used by responsible people. Licensed? - I don't know. dl
Old 31 December 2007, 09:10 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

right david we get it...

you don't like dogs...

don't own one..

if you see one on the street cross the road...............

you'll be safe as........
Old 31 December 2007, 09:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
right david we get it...

you don't like dogs...

don't own one..

if you see one on the street cross the road...............

you'll be safe as........
FFS, can David not play devils advocate without this turning into a personal insult.
Instead of this post how about coming back with some facts or a reply to put him firmly in his place, you post serves no purpose other than to make you look weak. David has argued well and raised some issues, better to come back with a decent retort and firmly put him in his place instead of 'im with stupid'
Old 31 December 2007, 09:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
On the "other" thread I got shot down for stating what I thought was obvious i.e. that you're better off being bitten by an ankle biter (small yappy dog) than a powerful dog like a Rottie, GSD etc. The article seems to support my view.

Just seems to me that powerful dogs are like guns - should only be used by responsible people. Licensed? - I don't know. dl
It's a lot easier of late to not even reply, David. You find most threads have their fair share of those very people that the sensible, responsible individuals are talking about. What's worse is that they genuinely can't see it, so you're actually wasting your breath.

Small dogs cause bite damage too and it's more than likely a flesh wound as opposed to an out and out 'crushing' injury that larger powerful dogs jaws cause.

My dog is trained to commit a 'full bite' on command which means he doesn't nip but uses his whole mouth to clamp the assailant, dragging him to the ground.

Personally I'd agree with licensing every owner of certain breeds and making it difficult to obtain a licence. That won't happen so horrific stories that we read about will unfortunately continue.
Old 31 December 2007, 09:37 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all fairness, I can see where David comes from, in the respect that some of the time these dogs and other certain breeds maybe acquired by less than responsible people, largely as a trophy item (not pet), and therefore, are likely to be raised incorrectly. On the other hand, many other responsible owners will have these same breeds, with no problems at all. Largely it is down to training and responsibility, but there are other factors too.

As I stated in the other thread, I had a labrador, not an ankle biter, nor a renowned aggressive dog, but he turned in a big way. We were responsible owners, and did all we could for him, but wasn't meant to be. As I'd said, maybe he was ill, or there was just something in him. He wasn't a large dog, but would have still had the potential to kill, which if we'd kept him, who knows.

There are many factors involved in keeping a dog regardless of breed. On the whole responsibility, whether that means the way you train it, always being aware they are animals, or making the heartbreaking decision of getting one destroyed if it has proved itself to be unsafe.

Honestly, most people with dogs probably are responsible, and it's important to remember, we normally only hear of the horror stories about dogs.
Old 31 December 2007, 09:55 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Honestly, most people with dogs probably are responsible, and it's important to remember, we normally only hear of the horror stories about dogs.
They think they are which is a dangerous thing in itself. My wife has had to stop taking my 2 out together because of so called responsible dog owners who think they should be allowed to walk their dogs off-lead in a public park.

If we'd had a pound for every 'responsible' dog owner that tells us their dogs will be OK running up to our dogs, when we know that's not the case, we'd be quids in.

Just like driving on the road though, you do what's best for others and not necessarily yourself.
Old 31 December 2007, 10:07 PM
Lisawrx

There's a difference between someone claiming to be responsible, and actually being so. Walking a dog off the lead proves that. You can't know for sure that dog won't turn, as much as the owner can't know another dog won't attack it.

I think some people need a lesson in responsibility, but in fairness, many people do act in a responsible manner. As I say, it's mainly bad stories we hear, rather than good, often making a problem look worse than it is.
Old 31 December 2007, 10:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I think some people need a lesson in responsibility, but in fairness, many people do act in a responsible manner. As I say, it's mainly bad stories we hear, rather than good, often making a problem look worse than it is.
OK, down from 'most' to 'many', any advances?
Old 31 December 2007, 10:13 PM
Lisawrx

Ooh picky picky, note to self re- read what I've posted first, in case I unknowingly use a different word to make the same point. So sorry for my mistake.

No advances yet though.
Old 31 December 2007, 10:14 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

'Some'?
Old 31 December 2007, 10:19 PM
barry wemyss
Scooby Regular

i have huskies ok and they have a high prey drive for anything smaller and furry than them and i also know people who have german shepherds and dobermans and bull terriers and all these dogs are show dogs and pets with young family around it is not the breed it is the owner or person who trains them

no dog of any breed should not be left unsupervised with children around regardless of how long you have had the dog ie some one i know there husky killed a local farmers sheep they lived next to each othe rfor 9 years
Old 31 December 2007, 10:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
'Some'?
Any more before we close voting?
Old 31 December 2007, 10:27 PM
Lisawrx

few

It's New Year, whatever.
Old 31 December 2007, 10:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

few

It's New Year, whatever.
That'll do. So few owners are actually genuinely responsible.
Old 31 December 2007, 10:36 PM
Lisawrx

I don't care anymore... bring on more beer, btw, I'm not being a responsible drinker, bad me.
Old 31 December 2007, 10:57 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by barry wemyss
no dog of any breed should not be left unsupervised with children around regardless of how long you have had the dog

often quoted but wrong. i owned many bull terriers and would never leave them with any child....i also own lurchers and my two have all the ability (physical and mental) to attack a child as a guinea pig....as such they happily stay with my kids (not the baby...even a guinea pig could have him!)

As an example...one of my lurchers had his leg amputated a few weeks ago - 3 days later he fell on the wood floor and bit my youngest who just happened to be near by (wrong place wrong time) My BT would have put him in hospital......the lurcher reacted to someone causing him about as much pain as you can imagine....falling on an amputated stump - and caused a 4 inch cut and a trickle of blood that a plaster sorted.

The reason why i (with 4 kids) would NEVER have a dog capable of causing serious harm....same as i would never have a gun in the house/knife collection, etc, etc

people say "staffies are good with kids"....no...mine are good with kids, they have ZERO interest in them and cant do them much harm - perfect with kids in my book.
Old 31 December 2007, 11:00 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Snug, lets hope 2008 brings you the 'no talking bollócks retro-fit gene'.
Old 31 December 2007, 11:16 PM
barry wemyss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
often quoted but wrong. i owned many bull terriers and would never leave them with any child....i also own lurchers and my two have all the ability (physical and mental) to attack a child as a guinea pig....as such they happily stay with my kids (not the baby...even a guinea pig could have him!)

As an example...one of my lurchers had his leg amputated a few weeks ago - 3 days later he fell on the wood floor and bit my youngest who just happened to be near by (wrong place wrong time) My BT would have put him in hospital......the lurcher reacted to someone causing him about as much pain as you can imagine....falling on an amputated stump - and caused a 4 inch cut and a trickle of blood that a plaster sorted.

The reason why i (with 4 kids) would NEVER have a dog capable of causing serious harm....same as i would never have a gun in the house/knife collection, etc, etc

people say "staffies are good with kids"....no...mine are good with kids, they have ZERO interest in them and cant do them much harm - perfect with kids in my book.
yes often quoted but any breed can turn