Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed limit review

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2008, 07:52 PM
rik-1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed limit review

Anyone who wants to register their say in reduction in speed limits in buckinghamshire can send an e-mail to the person in charge, which is L. witney at the bucks county council. lwitney@buckscc.gov.uk
For full details go to Homepage - Buckinghamshire County Council - transport - road safety - speed limit review - area 9
Old 01 January 2008, 08:51 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Nice one, Rik. The signs which are in place don't give too many details on the exact info,so thanks for the heads up
Old 01 January 2008, 09:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Taking into account all road users? Cyclists, walkers etc. looks like bucks roads will be all 30mph then !
Old 01 January 2008, 11:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

In the interests of safety for all concerned, please can we have all limits set to a maximum of 5mph. A walker with a red flag should precede all vehicular traffic
Old 01 January 2008, 11:34 PM
BigBoyz
BANNED

I'll vote for a reduction in speed limits - enforcement must be stringently enforced or it won't work.
Old 02 January 2008, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I some places it is sensible to reduce speed limits, such as near schools, where there are elderly people, constricted roads etc.

This should be done sensibly however rather that thoughtlessly slapping lower limits just for the sake of demonstrating how "concerned" the PC anti car brigade are.

Unnecessarily low speed limits just encourage drivers to break the law.

Les
Old 02 January 2008, 01:56 PM
rik-1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I some places it is sensible to reduce speed limits, such as near schools, where there are elderly people, constricted roads etc.

This should be done sensibly however rather that thoughtlessly slapping lower limits just for the sake of demonstrating how "concerned" the PC anti car brigade are.

Unnecessarily low speed limits just encourage drivers to break the law.

Les
That's exactly the point. There are a couple of places where it is sensible but when you see limits reduced from 60 - 50. You have to ask, what difference would it make. The rules need to be justified to ensure acceptability.

Trending Topics

Old 02 January 2008, 07:35 PM
turbogav
Scooby Regular

Loooks as though the Bucks review started in 2003. Their speed management srategy dates from 2002 and is now out of date as speed limit criteria has since been revised.
This work all revolves around the setting of an 'appropriate' speed limit which as you can imagine is open to interpretation. Inevitably it is likely to lead to lower speed limits which don't necessarily improve road safety stats or lead to lower speeds as drivers drive according to road conditions not a posted speed limit.
Old 02 January 2008, 07:44 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Just a thought. Why the need for speed reviews of any roads? These limits were due 'safe' decades ago when we were all rolling around on drum brakes and dodgy tyres.

I think this is job creation/justification in the name of public safety. Typical of the public sector
Old 03 January 2008, 02:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Just a thought. Why the need for speed reviews of any roads? These limits were due 'safe' decades ago when we were all rolling around on drum brakes and dodgy tyres.

I think this is job creation/justification in the name of public safety. Typical of the public sector
Good point of course, but in those days the cars would not accelerate so well or achieve the same sort of speeds. At the same time peoples' reactions are just the same as before too. The sort of supercars we take as standard now just were pipe dreams then.

Les
Old 03 January 2008, 03:27 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

What does it matter if its a supercar or a 500cc town car, the limit is the same. Unless there is a bloody good reason to reduce a limit then they should stay the same. There's an argument that some limits should be raised, but how likely is that?

Andy
Old 04 January 2008, 12:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
What does it matter if its a supercar or a 500cc town car, the limit is the same. Unless there is a bloody good reason to reduce a limit then they should stay the same. There's an argument that some limits should be raised, but how likely is that?

Andy
Its the rapid acceleration to high speeds and whether the average person can react sufficiently quickly to cope with a sudden problem. Cars might be better at handling etc. but human reaction times are just the same.

I certainly agree that motorway speed limits should be raised, this may well help to reduce bunching which is where the danger lies.

Les
Old 04 January 2008, 04:51 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

More than cancelled out by the vast improvements in safety in modern car design. You're literally talking about cars 40 years ago without even bare bones safety feature such as seatbelts. Your argument seems to be based on a very small number of supercars, or the slightly larger amounts of sports cars. Given that 11% of accidents are down to speeding and the impossibility to legislate for complete idiots who'll do what they want regardless, I think it's patronising the general motoring public to willfully lower speed limits where there are no problems for the normal person, limits imposed many years ago when car safety was light years from our modern cars!

I go back to my previous point that this is just a pr exercise by free spending public bodies to boost their own egos and status.