Dogs going to the vets

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2008, 12:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dogs going to the vets

Don't read if having lunch.....

Oh dear, the dog has a big growth on her back, the size and shape of a Ferrero Rocher (but not as appealing), usually hidden by her hair as she hasnt been to the groomers for a while but its gone manky so I have had to trim around it so you can see it in all its glory, she absolutely stinks, its oozing and bleeding, I have been cleaning it with Savlon spray but she doesnt like it one bit, neither do I.

To be honest, she is getting on for fifteen, blind, deaf and lumpy, I dont know what the vet will say about removing it, whether she will need a general which would probably kill her so will he say he cant remove it, I dont think I can put up with the smell and the slurges it leaves on things when uncovered, you cant leave it covered as the hair gets disgusting.

So, I suspect there may be a tough decision to be made this afternoon, I am hoping that he can whip it off and stitch it under local.
Old 02 January 2008, 12:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope it all goes ok J4CKO.

Les
Old 02 January 2008, 01:11 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Hope so too

Best of luck
DAn
Old 02 January 2008, 01:14 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

All the best mate, sounds like a good innings, but fingers crossed mate.

Im sure they will try anf nip it off first off, unless in a really bad way as a whole.
Old 02 January 2008, 01:17 PM
barry wemyss
Scooby Regular

that is a good age for a dog

hope all goes well mate
Old 02 January 2008, 01:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

She seems otherwise ok, one of the kids didnt want his sausage roll at lunch so we put it next to her whilst she slept on her bed, you see the nose start going and then she tries getting it without getting up, she stands up sniffing the air like Hannibal Lechter, knocks it on the floor then spends twenty minutes looking for it.

I suspect she will be ok for now but I am not sure what the vet will say, I suspect that he will decide she should carry on as long as she can, after the dogs welfare it doesnt make sense to cut of a revenue stream, I am so cynical these days.

Its funny, he usually pulls faces when we take her as he tends to get too close and sniff her, bad mistake.
Old 02 January 2008, 01:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I guess an option would be for the vet nurse to shave around the lump and put a sticky dressing over? Vet might try some antibiotics first to sort out the infection.

Why don't you give her a bath first? dl

Edit. Just to clarify I mean the dog not the nurse

Last edited by David Lock; 02 January 2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02 January 2008, 01:33 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Fingers crossed
Old 02 January 2008, 01:36 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Hope all goes well!

Tam
Old 02 January 2008, 05:11 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Any news on the dog, yet
Old 02 January 2008, 05:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Didnt like to ask....
Old 02 January 2008, 09:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Oh, she is still here, I posted earlier but had net related problems, basically its a case of £250 for an op involving general anaesthetic which might kill her or some very strong anti septic for twenty quid and being a bit tight I have opted for the former, she is happy but smelly, I can clean the lumps and avoid the smell, if it were causing her discomfort it would be different but I had the lovely job of trimming round and cleaning the lumps, made me gag !

Its done now and I will keep on top of it, she is due a trim anyway, it just looks minging but I dont want to spend £250 on her when she is 15, the average age for the English Cocker is 11.5 years according to the vet, she is blind, deaf,lumpy and has a fair old heart murmur.

It may sound callous but to be honest she has had her life , I will make her final months (years ?) as comfortable as possible but really I am ready for a new dog, we have had seven years of a blind dog and its a shame for the kids to have a dog that cant play, my little lad spent two hours playing football against my brothers in laws Dacshund yesterday and it upsets me that they don't have a dog that can play or that I can walk to keep my podge down, the wife doesn't really want two dogs but I think I will just turn up with a new dog, the vet was okay with this and said its good for older dogs to have a pup around, we have my brother in laws young Jack Russell in Feb for a week when they go skiing so we shall see what happens.

Seems less smelly tonight !
Old 02 January 2008, 10:06 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

My previous Staffy was 16 and partially blind, deaf and smelly but still appearing to enjoy his life when we were told about another 6 month old rescue Staffy needing a home. Of course once I'd seen this other pup I had to have her so after considering all the implications carefully we brought her home. She seemed to give the old dog a new lease of life and the two of them became good mates right up until the old dog had to be put down.

I'm really glad we got the new dog as she was a great companion to the old dog and helped soften the blow to us a little bit when the old one finally died.
Old 03 January 2008, 02:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Oh, she is still here, I posted earlier but had net related problems, basically its a case of £250 for an op involving general anaesthetic which might kill her or some very strong anti septic for twenty quid and being a bit tight I have opted for the former, she is happy but smelly, I can clean the lumps and avoid the smell, if it were causing her discomfort it would be different but I had the lovely job of trimming round and cleaning the lumps, made me gag !

Its done now and I will keep on top of it, she is due a trim anyway, it just looks minging but I dont want to spend £250 on her when she is 15, the average age for the English Cocker is 11.5 years according to the vet, she is blind, deaf,lumpy and has a fair old heart murmur.

It may sound callous but to be honest she has had her life , I will make her final months (years ?) as comfortable as possible but really I am ready for a new dog, we have had seven years of a blind dog and its a shame for the kids to have a dog that cant play, my little lad spent two hours playing football against my brothers in laws Dacshund yesterday and it upsets me that they don't have a dog that can play or that I can walk to keep my podge down, the wife doesn't really want two dogs but I think I will just turn up with a new dog, the vet was okay with this and said its good for older dogs to have a pup around, we have my brother in laws young Jack Russell in Feb for a week when they go skiing so we shall see what happens.

Seems less smelly tonight !
I sincerely hope your treatment will work for her and that she enjoys her remaining time as much as possible.

Les
Old 03 January 2008, 04:30 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Am glad she is still around, even if she is a bit whiffy
Old 03 January 2008, 07:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Definitely less smell today, the dog seems fresher as well...
Old 03 January 2008, 07:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The missus has made the call about a new dog, her friend has a couple of Boston terriers which are pretty expensive as pups but the breeder apparently re-homes her ex breeding/show dogs which are older and well trained, and cheaper !, we don't really want a pup chewing everything so we are registering our interest for an older one, perhaps three to five years old, they look like this,

Bit like a miniature Boxer dog mixed with a Bat of some description really.

And it might give ol' stinky a new lease of life.
Old 04 January 2008, 09:31 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, did I get that right - people breed those things on purpose?
Old 04 January 2008, 10:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Sorry, did I get that right - people breed those things on purpose?
What, Dogs ?
Old 04 January 2008, 10:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Yeah ! And some people breed too !
They have kids, uglier than a dog....

DunxC
Old 05 January 2008, 09:44 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant the dogbat thing above. Do you take it for walks only at night and feed it on flying insects?
Old 05 January 2008, 09:52 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

once a dog is blind, deaf, doesnt go for walks - whats the point in keeping it alive?
Old 05 January 2008, 11:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
once a dog is blind, deaf, doesnt go for walks - whats the point in keeping it alive?
Thats a good point and one that Jackos mate makes every time she is mentioned, I can see it from that angle but she is otherwise healthy, her tail wags, she rolls round on her back in the garden and then enjoys a good crap before breakfast, then a 10 hour kip until teatime when she lurks round getting under your feet, she has her dinner and then sleeps another 13 hours, she has the occasional mooch round to remind you how much she smells and still enjoys being made a fuss of.

She seems happy with her lot and I am waiting for nature to take its course, when she gets ill or uncomfortable then I will have a rethink but I couldn't really live with myself if I had her put down at the moment though I have thought it, she has been a loyal dog (aren't they all ?) so I feel we owe her a bit of loyalty in her twilight years and not have her put down just because she isn't much fun, stinks and is a bit inconvenient. Its just a bit annoying to have had a blind dog for seven years, not her fault but a shame for the kids not having a dog they can play with. It cant be that long now so we have come this far, we might as well see it through.

The lady visited us with the Boston Terriers and they are lovely but I am not sure they are what we are looking for, going to sleep on that one, our old thing seemed happy with them being here, no growling even when they sniffed her (they survived).

So, its business as usual for now, we will just stick with her for as long as she seems happy, she has come close to the vets needle already, early last year she went all floppy and couldn't get up for a few days but made a complete recovery, she dissapeared twice when on her mums farm, on the hottest day of the year so there have been a few close calls, it cant be long, I don't think I will be that upset as she has had a good innings and most of the dog we had has already gone.

The vet offered us the option of having her warts removed for £250, I draw the line at that, she has already had her fair share spent on her and is to ancient to go under the knife, too stressful and its like spending cash on an F reg Orion to put it through an MOT !
Old 05 January 2008, 11:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I meant the dogbat thing above. Do you take it for walks only at night and feed it on flying insects?
Thats funny, the owner husband calls it DogBat, they are actually a really nice dog, just a bit unconventional looking, thats part of the charm, not everyone wants a Labrador, I am not allowed a Staff so am looking for something different.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
Do you feel the same way about humans?

Les