Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Truth about binge drinking - tv last night.

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2008, 07:38 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truth about binge drinking - tv last night.

Dont suppose anyone recorded this onto disc did they ?? accidentaly deleted it from the sky + programmer.... and well, wife was kinda looking forward to watching it !!!!!

any help appreciatted folks .
Old 03 January 2008, 07:52 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would of thought it will be repeated soon,keep an eye out for it
Old 03 January 2008, 08:01 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

what channel was it on, as some of them u can go to their own website and catch up on programmes from last week-hth
Old 03 January 2008, 08:26 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

I watched it, scary when you actually watch something like this and then realise your own drinking habbits
Old 03 January 2008, 10:06 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The sad thing is that could be any town in the UK,People slumped in doorways unconcious and puking in the streets it's the same in my town.
Old 03 January 2008, 10:10 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

It is available on UKNova to download.

Steve
Old 03 January 2008, 11:50 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Dont waste your time mate.

The only interesting thing in the whole show was the pig to princess transformation of Michelle Heaton depending on how much trout slap she trowled onto her mush!

The ITV definitition of a binge drinker was someone who drinks 60 units of alcohol a week, however I believe that the governments defintition is someone who drinks more than 5 "drinks in one sitting"...

So before the experiment began, she confessed to drinking about 30 units a week - twice the governments recommended limit. and before the "test" began only 3% of her liver cells were a bit wonky.

So then for the 3 weeks she managed, she hammered it, not nice quiet nights in with a bottle of wine or two each night, but massive 75 - 100 unit a week benders- all recorded in a little black drinking diary...

It then turned out that what she thought was a single measure was more like a treble and as vodka was her fave tipple that she could be up to 150 units per week during the experiment
Anyhoo, after 3 weeks of this, the doc said that 86% of her liver cells were now wonky. And another doctor said that if she gets glass in her face when she is drunk she would have a scar

What they failed to retort back to was that when she claimed to be drinking 30 units a week before the experiment (and yet was probably drinking more like 45-60 as she didnt understand measures and stuff),yet her liver was only 3% wonkey

Ipso facto - out of the mouths of doctors - humans can drink 3 times the recommended limits set by the government and lead perfectly healthy normal lives
This was the only useful piece of science drawn from the show.

So forget the detox - get yourselves back out to the pub this weekend and get trolleyed!

Abdabz - making sense of the non sensical...

Last edited by Abdabz; 03 January 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2008, 12:00 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz

The only interesting thing in the whole show was the pig to princess transformation of Michelle Heaton depending on how much trout slap she trowled onto her mush!

The ITV definitition of a binge drinker was someone who drinks 60 units of alcohol a week, however I believe that the governments defintition is someone who drinks more than 5 "drinks in one sitting"...

So before the experiment began, she confessed to drinking about 30 units a week - twice the governments recommended limit. and before the "test" began only 3% of her liver cells were a bit wonky.

So then for the 3 weeks she managed, she hammered it, not nice quiet nights in with a bottle of wine or two each night, but massive 75 - 100 unit a week benders- all recorded in a little black drinking diary...

It then turned out that what she thought was a single measure was more like a treble and as vodka was her fave tipple that she could be up to 150 units per week during the experiment
Anyhoo, after 3 weeks of this, the doc said that 86% of her liver cells were now wonky. And another doctor said that if she gets glass in her face when she is drunk she would have a scar

What they failed to retort back to was that when she claimed to be drinking 30 units a week before the experiment (and yet was probably drinking more like 45-60 as she didnt understand measures and stuff),yet her liver was only 3% wonkey

Ipso facto - out of the mouths of doctors - humans can drink 3 times the recommended limits set by the government and lead perfectly healthy normal lives

So forget the detox - get yourselves back out to the pub this weekend and get trolleyed!

Quote a fair summary of the actual science of the show. The science was really poor, and as always in these programs, there was a heavy one sided overtone.
Old 03 January 2008, 12:36 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Now back to the real issue - Michelle Heaton - would you?
Old 03 January 2008, 01:00 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
It would be rude to say no!
Old 03 January 2008, 01:11 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo

Old 03 January 2008, 01:25 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he were still alive, Oliver Reed would have shown her what Real drinking was with such stories as:

"Reed and 36 friends drinking, in an evening, 60 gallons of beer, 32 bottles of Scotch, 17 bottles of gin, four crates of wine and one bottle of Babycham"

Apparently he left an unpaid bar bill for $866 when he died
Old 03 January 2008, 02:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

When she rolled in at 4am after her BF said be home for midnight, I turned to my wife and said "I know how he feels"

I nearly got the sofa treatment
Old 03 January 2008, 04:41 PM
CSLMan
Scooby Regular

<snip>

Anyhoo, after 3 weeks of this, the doc said that 86% of her liver cells were now wonky.
Did you check out that graph in detail? It was actually something relating to the immune system/white blood cells which had got worse (which they failed to point out). I suspect they actually found no change in the liver itself, in terms of function/fattyness etc, and could only produce this one "shock".

It was like 'The Sun does Documentary'
Old 03 January 2008, 04:57 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

It is available on UKNova to download.

Steve

Okay cheers unfortunatly dont have a uknova membership unless anyone fancies offering me an invite ?? failing this maybe someone has it on disc ?? can cover all costs involved no probs if anyone fancies helping me out ??!!
Old 03 January 2008, 05:10 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Can we make this the new nurses' uniform ? Ple--a-s-e ?!
Old 03 January 2008, 05:11 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

And another doctor said that if she gets glass in her face when she is drunk she would have a scar

Old 03 January 2008, 05:48 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay cheers unfortunatly dont have a uknova membership unless anyone fancies offering me an invite ?? failing this maybe someone has it on disc ?? can cover all costs involved no probs if anyone fancies helping me out ??!!

You have a PM...

Steve
Old 03 January 2008, 09:41 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

You have a PM...

Steve
PM sent back mate, thanks again appreciatte that.
Old 03 January 2008, 10:15 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

It hasn't been said so....

CHEEKY GIRL!
Old 03 January 2008, 10:23 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I think that the program was written by one of Al Gore's advisers - decide on an agenda, and create a documentary around that (already decided) agenda (and ignore any "facts" that don't fit)!

Day (or rather night) one - she drunk several tens of units, and complained how crap she felt in the morning. Well if you only have two or three hours sleep then even drinking orange juice and water isn't going to keep you in tip-top condition. That would actually be an interesting experiment - stay awake for the same hours (over an entire month) without drinking, and see what effect that has on the human body.

Then there were "The Doctors", professionals, dedicated to spouting government propaganda. They kept saying how 14 units per week (for a girly) is the maximum - but only a few weeks ago it was revealed that the "advisers" who came up with this limit just plucked figures out of thin air (so they could have a consistent and easily to follow message). Other reports suggest that you have to drink in excess of 63 units per week to increase risks above a tee totaler!

Michelle isn't the brightest of folks (notice how both her and hubby had failed to set the LED clock on their cooker) - so doctors saying "i recommend that you stop otherwise you will die" may well induce panic attacks.

However a very good point was made by one of the Docs, when he got Michelle to pour what she thought was a measure of vodka, and it was actually nearly twice as big as she thought. A good enough reason to stick to "75cl bottle measures" to avoid ambiguity

But then he ruined his credibility by saying that because spirits and now stronger (40%) a 35ml measure is actually three units of alcohol! WTF I have several government leaflets that say that a 25ml of "cooking" spirit (37.5%) is 0.9 units, and 40% brew is 1 unit - thus a 35ml measure is less than 1.5 units! I hope that all of his measurements are not that wildly inaccurate

And even Dr Liver seemed to hide many facts (note how two of his graphs had been pixelated so you couldn't see what measurements dropped, rather than rose). And what exactly did he mean that "at the start only a few cells were - not acting normally" but at the end eighty-odd percent were "not acting normally"? Could it be that "normally" the cells don't process alcohol ('cos most people don't drink continuously), but after a "binge" they do operate outside normal parameters whilst the alcohol is absorbed?

Very bad (and politically motivated) science - i would rather have a celebrity telling me the facts (oops, that was what the program was all about )

Cheers,

mb
Old 04 January 2008, 12:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How would you feel however if those 3% wonky cells turned cancerous?

Is that really worth it?

Les
Old 04 January 2008, 12:48 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

I drink an average of 12 pints a week, over 2 nights - is that too much?
Old 04 January 2008, 09:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RMA26
I drink an average of 12 pints a week, over 2 nights - is that too much?
The truth is - they haven't the foggiest!!!

Everybody is different, but the government and their control regime cannot accept that, so you must stick to the lowest common denominator plucked out of thin air (as per my previous post).

mb