Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Would you give your child the MMR injection?
Yes, it's just scaremongering by the media
91.30%
No, there seems to be a link with Autism and Bowel problems
8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

MMR Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2008, 06:59 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMR Poll

My daughter is coming up to her MMR jab, and am wondering what peoples thoughts are on it...
Old 03 January 2008, 07:01 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

I have had both my daughters done... one is now 14 years old and one is two years old.

Think it was proved recently that the hype before was unfounded. Will try and find a link

Claire
Old 03 January 2008, 07:02 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

You would be very very foolish not to take to her have it.
Old 03 January 2008, 07:02 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

BBC NEWS | Health | 'No evidence' MMR jab is unsafe

MMR the facts

hth
Old 03 January 2008, 07:03 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Yeah but how accurate was the proof...

Apparently there is a 1.7% chance...
Old 03 January 2008, 07:04 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
You CANNOT make a statement like that without backing it up - why would I be foolish?
Old 03 January 2008, 07:07 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Totally agree.

BBC NEWS | Health | MMR research timeline

The first hype started in 1998 and my first daughter had hers in 1994 and the second one in 1998 and I went ahead with both.

My second daughter had her first one last year.

You can sometimes get a rash or a temperature but you can get this from any vaccination.

The alternatives to not having the vaccinations are not worth considering.

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2008, 07:10 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
You CANNOT make a statement like that without backing it up - why would I be foolish?
Because there is no evidence whatsoever that MMR causes autism. The overwhelming and i mean 99.999999% of medical opinion is that it is perfectly safe. Google it - theres loads out there.

Your child is at far more risk by not having the MMR jab than having it.
Old 03 January 2008, 07:12 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Daughter one had single injections
Daughter two had MMR

No issues either way
Old 03 January 2008, 07:13 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Because there is no evidence whatsoever that MMR causes autism. The overwhelming and i mean 99.999999% of medical opinion is that it is perfectly safe. Google it - theres loads out there.

Your child is at far more risk by not having the MMR jab than having it.
I don't mean to be argumentative but the first three posts I looked at when i googled 'truth about MMR' turned out to be negative...There is so much BS about it, it's difficult to find the truth.
Old 03 January 2008, 07:14 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

The most in-depth analysis to date has cleared the controversial MMR vaccine of any link to autism or bowel disease.
The researchers say their findings provide clear reassurance for patients and health professionals that the combined jab for measles, mumps and rubella is safe.

There has been a sharp drop in the number of parents prepared to give their children the MMR vaccination because they're worried about a possible link with autism and inflammatory bowel disease.

But a team led by Dr Anna Donald and Dr Vivek Muthu have examined research into MMR from 180 countries around the world and now claim the vaccine is completely safe.

BBC NEWS | Talking Point | MMR: Are you reassured the vaccine is safe?
Old 03 January 2008, 07:18 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

One of my daughters had MMR and the other had seperate injections (due to y wife reading lots of scare stories).

Both are fine and if anything the one who had the seperate injections is more painful / ADD

Steve
Old 03 January 2008, 07:28 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
I don't mean to be argumentative but the first three posts I looked at when i googled 'truth about MMR' turned out to be negative...There is so much BS about it, it's difficult to find the truth.
I know what you mean, but if you look at reputable sites. By that I mean NHS, and other health authorities, as well as BBC an reuters et al, you will find that the link between autism and MMR has been all but completely debunked
Old 03 January 2008, 07:40 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

we read the scare stories but decided to listen to the doctors, it fealt like flipping a coin at the time, but if we have any more kids we will just have them done without the worrying next time.
Old 03 January 2008, 07:46 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Both my kids had the jab. My Son is now a strapping 16 year old, 6 footer (he hasn't got 6 feet, before you wags step in) and my daughter at 13 is catching up fast. Worst thing they have ever had is bad doses of cold.

I can understand your worry, we dithered on about it, but feel we made the right decision in the end.
Old 03 January 2008, 07:51 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had both my kids done, no concerns from me.
Old 03 January 2008, 08:00 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

All three of my kids have or are having the MMR. Look at this way, there might be a very small chance of complications with MMR, but there is a bigger risk of serious damage to your child if they get one of the diseases. Also with more people not having the MMR and your child not being inoculated, there is an even bigger risk of getting one of the diseases.
Old 03 January 2008, 10:02 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
The poll is skewed. If you asked 'vaccinate or not' that leaves things much wider than the MMR/Autism circus we have/had. My 3 1/2 year old has had no vaccinations and will not be getting any. The scare stories are given out by the gov/drugs companies about the dangers of NOT vaccinating. Do some research (a 'search' on SN about vaccination is a good place to start as we have done this to death a few times) and you find that the *possible* side effects of vaccination are more worrying than the *possible* outcome of catching one of 'MMR', for instance.

IMHO of course, and my wife and myself did lots of research before we made up our minds. One example. you may think Polio has been eradicated by vaccinatio. But did you know that " .. Polio now hides behind these names: Viral or aseptic meningitis, Guillaine Barre Syndrome (GBS), Chinese Paralytic syndrome, CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, epidemic cholera, cholera morbus, spinal meningitis, spinal apoplexy, inhibitory palsy, intermittent fever, famine fever, worm fever, bilious remittent fever, ergotism, ME, post-polio syndrome, acute flaccid paralysis Synonyms for GBS ..." (from Hiding Polio - couldn't be ar5ed to look for further references to this but there are plenty on the page).
Actually from the same site see Disease decline before introduction of immunisation for an informative graph. You often see graphs of the same thing but starting from about where the 'mass immunisation' mark is (in this case).

Enjoy!

Dave

Are you having a bubble bath?? Both those links are from authors of no reputation and give no proof nor reference to their data. The first author doesn't state what her PhD is in and neither state any affiliation to any University, hospital, research institution etc.

I believe that nonsense as much as I believe there is a B52 crashed on the moon
Old 03 January 2008, 10:03 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Every doctor I know has had their kids imm'ed.

It could be said to be child abuse NOT to, (Flame suit on.)

In the US it is law prior to entering education. Though of course nothing is without risk, it is much less than measle mumps or rubella and their complications.
Old 03 January 2008, 10:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Hutton Im not having a go, but to say I "couldnt be arsed" to back up your argument doesnt give it any credibilty. This is a serious issue, especially childrens health, so dig out some credible evidence, so others can make an informed opinion.

Andy
Old 03 January 2008, 10:26 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Measles as far as I know, is a very serious illness. Mumps, we know the consequences for boys and Ruebella (sp) same consequence for girls. Do you really want to take a chance???

Deep will keep me right if I have got this wrong
Old 03 January 2008, 10:30 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Measles ....

Ear infection. Measles causes an ear infection in nearly one out of every 10 children.

Encephalitis. About one in 1,000 people with measles develops encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain caused by a viral infection, which may cause vomiting, convulsions and, rarely, coma. Encephalitis can closely follow measles, or it can occur years later during adolescence as a result of a slow virus infection. The late form, called Dawson's encephalitis, is rare.

Pneumonia. As many as one in 15 with measles gets pneumonia, which can be life-threatening.

Diarrhea or vomiting. These complications are more common in infants and small children.

Bronchitis, laryngitis or croup. Measles may lead to inflammation of your voice box (larynx) or inflammation of the inner walls that line the main air passageways of your lungs (bronchial tubes).

Pregnancy problems. Pregnant women need to take special care to avoid measles, because the disease can cause miscarriage, premature labor or babies with low birth weights.

Low platelet count (thrombocytopenia). Measles may lead to a decrease in platelets — the type of blood cells that are essential for blood clotting.
Old 03 January 2008, 10:35 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

you are right with the mumps... it can cause sterility. It can also lead to meningitis (sp)

claire
Old 03 January 2008, 10:44 PM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Have two daughters 21 and 18 both were immunised before the scaremongering. When our 5 year old was due to have his we deliberated long and hard but decided we had to go ahead. I am pleased that we did.

Sara
Old 03 January 2008, 11:15 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

The link to Autism was found after tests in Japan, where the tests were carried out on a very small sample of children (and the media played on percentages, rarely mentioning research carried out afterwards)

Please do some research on the MMR, rather than putting your child at risk.

My daughter had both of her MMR injections and my son is booked in later on this month.
Old 03 January 2008, 11:20 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
we read the scare stories but decided to listen to the doctors, it fealt like flipping a coin at the time, but if we have any more kids we will just have them done without the worrying next time.
Well you could have been diligent good parents and Googled it!!!

Actually we did the same (after Googling it, bamboozling it and finding all kinds of conflicting amateur bull**** and advice on Optimax, French jabs, Broquet devices etc). Doc looked us in the eye saying it should be done and she had no axe to grind about best welfare of the kids...

D

Last edited by Diesel; 04 January 2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03 January 2008, 11:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi James !

I have a cousin who's daughter is profoundly affected by autism.
But to balance the equation both her sisters also have kids with varying degrees of autistic behaviour, from mild to almost hard to tell, unless you saw them as young kids.
My own thinking is that the genetics are responsible for the problems, not any MMR or other medication.

DunxC

P.S. Hope Linz & (S)Callie(wag) are well !
Old 03 January 2008, 11:59 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Just had my 20 month old daughter done and im not concerned in the slightest

Quick Reply: MMR Poll