Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lung cancer and work help

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2008, 04:41 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lung cancer and work help

Just after a little bit of help not sure if anyone can help but there is no harm in asking. My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 months ago and has been working up to now. The problem is his job is in field sales so his always out hear there and everywhere with face to face sales. He has been with this comany for a year and has been good up to now. The cancer has made him lose his voice and a lot of weight. He had a meeting with his boss last week and they rung today to say they were shocked what has happened we told them he had throat cancer as we didnt want to mention the lung cancer. His boss said he doesnt want to him to visit customers at the moment with how he looks and his voice is not that strong. They are also looking to change his pay as he will need some time of and that. It sounded to me they wanted to get rid of him. My question is where legally does he stand can they just get rid of him like this. He had his first kimo 3 weeks ago but straight away afterwards he caught a chest infection and had to be taken in to hospital this had now cleared but he has also just caught a throat infection which stopped him eating so he lost more weight. When we first met the doctors they said the kimo would give him a normal life and might bring back his voice a little and he is due to have it again on tuesday and we were hoping he would be back to work before the weekend if all went well. He needs to have kimo every 3 weeks. Then has a break after 3 lots then again in 6 months or so.

My question is where does he stand with his boss can they sacked him for this. Will they have to pay him off ?

If he did have to give up work how much in benefits do you think he could get my mum earns about 16k. ?

He is also still smoking a lot the hospital did say he could have 3 a day but i think he is having about 10 will this affect how the kimo works.

When we first found out they said to us he would live for 6- 12 months then the consulant said he would live for a few years you dont no who to belive i have accepted this but i dont think he has.

any help would be good thanks.
Old 14 January 2008, 02:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vallumlj
Just after a little bit of help not sure if anyone can help but there is no harm in asking. My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 months ago and has been working up to now. The problem is his job is in field sales so his always out hear there and everywhere with face to face sales. He has been with this comany for a year and has been good up to now. The cancer has made him lose his voice and a lot of weight. He had a meeting with his boss last week and they rung today to say they were shocked what has happened we told them he had throat cancer as we didnt want to mention the lung cancer. His boss said he doesnt want to him to visit customers at the moment with how he looks and his voice is not that strong. They are also looking to change his pay as he will need some time of and that. It sounded to me they wanted to get rid of him. My question is where legally does he stand can they just get rid of him like this. He had his first kimo 3 weeks ago but straight away afterwards he caught a chest infection and had to be taken in to hospital this had now cleared but he has also just caught a throat infection which stopped him eating so he lost more weight. When we first met the doctors they said the kimo would give him a normal life and might bring back his voice a little and he is due to have it again on tuesday and we were hoping he would be back to work before the weekend if all went well. He needs to have kimo every 3 weeks. Then has a break after 3 lots then again in 6 months or so.

My question is where does he stand with his boss can they sacked him for this. Will they have to pay him off ?

If he did have to give up work how much in benefits do you think he could get my mum earns about 16k. ?

He is also still smoking a lot the hospital did say he could have 3 a day but i think he is having about 10 will this affect how the kimo works.

When we first found out they said to us he would live for 6- 12 months then the consulant said he would live for a few years you dont no who to belive i have accepted this but i dont think he has.

any help would be good thanks.
I am really sorry to hear about your father. He is really having a pretty bad time.

I don't know the positon with his firm. Sounds to me that they are not being supportive which seems pretty unfair to me. Can't why they cant just let him continue as long as he is doing the job properly and I dont think that his appearance can be an adequate excuse to stop him doing his normal job.

If he can't continue to work, then he must be able to get incapacity benefit or disability allowance and your mother should also be able to get Attendance allowance for looking after him.

I have been through the operation and chemotherapy bit and it does make you feel well below par and tired. You also lose your immunity with the chemo and have to be very careful about exposure to germs etc.

I certainly think the doctors should give a proper prognosis of his condition and how long he can continue. They usually are pretty straightforward with the truth and perhap's you should go face to face with them and ask about it. You as his family really need to know the truth.

Worth a vist to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. I am sure they can help you out too.

I wish you and him all the luck and hope all will turn out well.

Try to get him off the ciggies if possible-it wont help.

Les