Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a cat C car?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2008, 12:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a cat C car?

If i purchase a cat C car what are the implications, apart from its been declared as accident damage, btw it looks like just some panel creasing. (older car)

what would have to be done to use the car? i think its still being used at the mo, (a trader is selling it)

mart
Old 19 January 2008, 12:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

New MOT, possible VIC test...
Other than that...... nothing really. Should retain it ID

Definatly a C yeah? All the damage still on it so you can see how bad it is/was?
Old 19 January 2008, 01:02 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

After its put back on the road, it can be taken official bod would need to inspect to say its it hasn't been ringed. And give you a nice piece of paper saying so. Also it'll need an MOT to say its roadworthy (unless its under 3 years old).

After that, its like any other car, apart from it is still recorded as Cat C, valued as such, and prospective buyers should be aware of its history. I also belive you have to tell the insurance company too.

If its a CAT D it doesn't need to go through any checks at all.

Last edited by Shark Man; 19 January 2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 19 January 2008, 01:08 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Very straight forward.

I was warned that I may not get the new log book through until it had the VIC check or I would not be able to re-tax it until tested. This wasn't the case .

I didn't even bother getting the damage repaired prior to the test as it consisted of a dented rear bumber and a crease in one of the panels

As the above poster has stated, just remember the cost of the car should reflect that its worth (IIRC) 30% less then a non-recorded car
Old 19 January 2008, 01:10 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If its an older car, and was recently declared a write-off I would be less worried. A fairly small amount of damage could write it off, whereas on a 6month old car it would take a serious amount of damage to write the car off as its a high value then - but the same amount of damage to make an older car a write off, may not even be a recorded repair on a newer car.
Old 19 January 2008, 08:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Car is still on the road, its on a dealers list, so i,m guessing its a declared cat c and has been put back on the road. from the look of it its just panel damage (creased rear wing) (older car) and yes the price is lowish

Mart
Old 19 January 2008, 09:28 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If it were just a "creased rear wing" then why wasn't it a cat D?

Category A
A vehicle which should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.
Category B
A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.
Category C
An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category D
A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category F
A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.
Theft
These vehicles have not been recovered and ownership rests with the insurer who made the total loss payment. They are able to repossess the car as soon as it is identified, even if it has been bought innocently.

Vehicles categorised as A, B or C require a VIC test before the DVLA will issue a new registration document. This will then be noted on the V5C
Old 19 January 2008, 09:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
If it were just a "creased rear wing" then why wasn't it a cat D?

Category A
A vehicle which should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.
Category B
A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.
Category C
An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category D
A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category F
A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.
Theft
These vehicles have not been recovered and ownership rests with the insurer who made the total loss payment. They are able to repossess the car as soon as it is identified, even if it has been bought innocently.

Vehicles categorised as A, B or C require a VIC test before the DVLA will issue a new registration document. This will then be noted on the V5C

Hmmm

ive seen better now closer to home, but as a stop gap it wasnt bad (for what i was looking for )

cheers for the input

Mart
Old 20 January 2008, 10:27 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Be careful mate. I bought my last Impreza which was advertised as a Cat D. I got sucked in as it was an amazing looking car and the spec was what I was looking for.
Ended up spending £1200 to rebuild the back end (again). It had already been done once but it bady leaked when I washed it plus when it rained ...
Anyway when I came to sell it I advertised it as Cat D etc. The guy who ended up buying it HPI'd it and found that it was actually a Cat C! .
Also you may find when it comes to sell it that buyers (especially ones on here) treat you like a criminal.

Nick