Panny or Samsung ???

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 03:41 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panny or Samsung ???

Considering these 2 Plasma's...

Panasonic TH 42 PX700 and the Samsung PS42Q97HD.

Anyone had any of these or got any views on them? The panny is a little more expensive,which doesnt bother me at all,but looking at them in the shops(and i have many times!!!),the Samsung justs seems to edge it on pic quality.
Went in John Lewis yesterday,and basically they will price match bugger all..So any good deals on either would be appreciated too..

Crampton and Moore seem favourite at the moment
Old 27 January 2008, 04:03 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Panny everytime Wouldn't change mine for the world

DAn
Old 27 January 2008, 04:04 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Fair enough Dan,but why?

Other than you have one??
Old 27 January 2008, 04:24 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Reliabilty, picture quality - operating system, umm style/design.......

Don't get me wrong -the Samsung stuff is good, but IMHO, Panny is better.

Usual thing, in most cases, you get what you pay for

DAn
Old 27 January 2008, 04:24 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 27 January 2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: pressed the button too much!! :D
Old 27 January 2008, 04:35 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've seen 50 inch Samsung advertised locally for £849.
Old 27 January 2008, 04:53 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

I have the Samsung of those 2, both TV's are excellent and the reviews were about the same. I looked at both and both looked as good as one another, I'm happy with my decision on the Samsung.

If I was buying now I'd probably make sure I'd go for a 1080p version of either just to be a bit more future proof.
Old 27 January 2008, 05:06 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I realise i may get a little left behind if i dont get the 1080 version,but i change my TV every 3 years or so..Currently have a Philips 42" plasma..
So i will probably go to full 1080 next time when there is more available,maybe even freeview in HD2012ish..

SD555..Like i say i preferred the picture on the Samsung,and i also prefer the "look" of the Q97,as i feel the PX700 looks a little dated,something to do with the bottom section of the case i think...
BUT,i realise the panny,is a slightly better set(electronics/hardware etc),with a slightly better "badge"..
Cant get my mind around if this should matter!!

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 27 January 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 05:08 PM
C_B_B
Scooby Regular

I've got a 50" Panny which i fitted about 3 weeks ago. Very pleased with it.

Have a look on avforums.com.
Old 27 January 2008, 05:16 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

I have a viera plasma 37"" very happy with my, i wont slag off the samsung as i havent seen it so i cant comment, but i hold up there as an icon of design and technology, ps1, capri, vw beetle, ipod, that sorth of thing.
Old 27 January 2008, 05:42 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Been on he AV forums..

Plenty of great opinions,but info overload!!

Again,it seems a pretty even split between the 2..Some on the panny side,some on the Samsung...

It aint an easy one

SN555...i have seen the Samsung 50" at £774 at Xomy....A great bargain,but i would need to change my AVF bracket,so its out of question unfotunately..

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 27 January 2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 27 January 2008, 05:45 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Look at the specs of both TV's. I don't think the Panasonic has a very good contrast ratio which is what really helps with plasma TV's. I would also recommend buying a FULL 1080p ready set as these will have the highest resolution possible.

If you really want the best then you can no better than Pioneer. Their plasma panels are way ahead of anything else. I recently bought a Pioneer PDP-LX508D and its performance is simply stunning. They cost a little more but it is well, well worth it.
Old 27 January 2008, 06:57 PM
Hungrytang
Scooby Regular

Ive got the Panasonic th-42pz70 and its fantastic..!!

Spend a bit more and get the 1080p.
Old 27 January 2008, 07:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone else think, its a bloody telly, they are all pretty good nowadays (the main brands) and that life is too short to start comparing contrast ratios and reading AVforums with all its **** fanboy ranting.

Telly wise, we have never had it so good, a 50 inch telly for £849, to be honest if you start sitting there worrying that the blacks (colours not people) may be blacker on the Panasonic compared to the Samsung then you need to start watching the film rather than the telly.

I watched a pirate copy of I am legend last night, my lovely 37 inch telly just showed how **** pirated films really are.

Last edited by J4CKO; 27 January 2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 07:39 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Does anyone else think, its a bloody telly, they are all pretty good nowadays (the main brands) and that life is too short to start comparing contrast ratios and reading AVforums with all its **** fanboy ranting.
*Sticks hand up tentatively*

I've just spent a week looking at and reading up about tellies before eventually buying a 32" LCD for the kitchen and came to pretty much the same conclusion.

We went to look at them in a shop armed with pages of info and prices etc. In the end we simply saw one we really liked the look of, the picture really stood out for us, it fitted our criteria perfectly and we found it for a £100 cheaper on the internet. Job done Days of research wasted
Old 27 January 2008, 09:16 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Jacko........Im with you on this...

And this is what im saying really..Is it worth paying more for the Panny as the lowlier set is just as good..just without the "Badge"..If you look at all the spec,the Samsung seems to win it hands down!

To all the people saying get a 1080p..I have explained there is no point as yet,im not gonna pay for HD off sky(who broadcast in 1080i anyway) and i dont have a PS3 or Blueray player,and HDfreeview is still a while off.I will have a 1080p TV by the time HD feed becomes the norm..

Will be watching Sky SD mainly and using a PS2 and normal DVD..So i have no need for 1080p..YET..

As for buying the Pioneer...I fully agree...Can you suggest a Pioneer 42" in the price range that is comparable to the 2 sets mentioned??

Cheers
Old 27 January 2008, 09:19 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555

DAn
Yeap yep yep - Panny is the best.

Fortunately - "Which" Agree

Unless you want to spend 10's of £K's for the REALLY REALLY good stuff
Old 27 January 2008, 09:24 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555

DAn

Nice quote..

But the Samsung is little more expensive than the Panny in some places as the Panny is a sligtly older model..Its also the same prices in some shops..

Does that mean the Samsung is better then??? lol...
Old 27 January 2008, 09:26 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
Nice quote..

But the Samsung is little more expensive than the Panny in some places as the Panny is a sligtly older model..Its also the same prices in some shops..

Does that mean the Samsung is better then??? lol...

Jods...I wouldnt listen to a word of what "which" says...

It depends who is in "favour" at the time with the so called "independant" reviewers..
Old 27 January 2008, 09:26 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by MrRA
Look at the specs of both TV's. I don't think the Panasonic has a very good contrast ratio which is what really helps with plasma TV's. I would also recommend buying a FULL 1080p ready set as these will have the highest resolution possible.

If you really want the best then you can no better than Pioneer. Their plasma panels are way ahead of anything else. I recently bought a Pioneer PDP-LX508D and its performance is simply stunning. They cost a little more but it is well, well worth it.
10,000:1 is my panny ratio

At the end of the day - if you are happy with a shoddy product - go for it.

I'm just a bit choosy (within a reasonable [to me] budget)
Old 27 January 2008, 09:40 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Didn't know it was more expensive tbh. The Samsung just looks a little bit cheaper than the Panny (all IMHO )

Dan
Old 27 January 2008, 10:09 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Many mfgs will use the same panel. I know for a fact Sansmugs and Sony use the same 32" LCD panel. My Sansmugs 32" LCD is great, and TBH I don't see (Eyes getting old) much difference between SD and HD pictures on the 32" screens anyway.

I'm very interested in the OLED (Organic LEDs) screens that are being developed that will eventually lead to TV's being maybe as slim as 20mm or less, and extremely light.

Last edited by Klaatu; 27 January 2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 10:34 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Panasonic have been banging out quality tv's from year dot. So, with all that experience and r&d they would know what's best.

Samsung.....hmmmm would you have bought a tv from them say 5-10 years back?

It's a similar scenario with digital cameras. A Canon camera vs. a Samsung camera...hmmmm.
Old 28 January 2008, 08:32 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAJ27
Panasonic have been banging out quality tv's from year dot. So, with all that experience and r&d they would know what's best.

Samsung.....hmmmm would you have bought a tv from them say 5-10 years back?

It's a similar scenario with digital cameras. A Canon camera vs. a Samsung camera...hmmmm.

Would you have bought a skoda 10 years ago?? Or even now before ya say it...LOL..

I know that when asked a question about Panny or Samsung,it seems like a "no brainer"..
And before i started looking into getting a new plasma around 6 weeks ago,i would have just gone for the Panny every time...

But...to the eye(To me anyway),there is a lot going for both sets,but the Samsung seems to edge it,but with the Panny having the better "name"..

Jods..Dont think its fair to call a Samsung a shoddy product,afterall we are on SCOOBYnet here
Old 28 January 2008, 08:43 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
As for buying the Pioneer...I fully agree...Can you suggest a Pioneer 42" in the price range that is comparable to the 2 sets mentioned??
Pioneer Plasma

The 'HD ready' Kuro panels should be more comparable in price and will still perform way better than the Panasonic or Samsung. The 'HD ready 1080p' Kuro panels are the more expensive option and offer a higher resolution and contrast ratio.

Originally Posted by jods
10,000:1 is my panny ratio

At the end of the day - if you are happy with a shoddy product - go for it.

I'm just a bit choosy (within a reasonable [to me] budget)
Same here. If people were to see a direct comparison of a FULL 1080p Pionner next to another branded set the difference would be like night and day and only then would they be able to fully appreciate the difference in picture performance.
Old 28 January 2008, 05:53 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

The thing is though MrRA...That the "cheap non 1080p" HD Kuro is around £1300-£1500 dependant on model..!!!
This is not comparable at all to the 2 sets that i have earmarked...I would hope the Kuro is better as its twice the price..

Whereas the Full 1080p Kuro's start at £3000...Again,the 2 sets i highlighted are under £900..
I will also reiterate that im not gonna buy a full 1080p for another couple of years till more HD is available..
Believe me,there is no cnhance of me blowing 3k on a TV,however good the pic is...

Just to finish...been to Richer sounds today,they didnt have the PX700,just the PX70 at £799...
Picture was ok,had a mess and got it a little better..Didnt convince me at all..
The guy at Richer sounds said the PX700 is miles better and worth the £200 more,and he probably wouldnt have the 70 at all at the moment..

Think its gonna be the Samsung...

Thanks for all the help...
Old 28 January 2008, 08:30 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Fair enough mate, I understand that some people are not prepared to pay silly amounts for a TV. But the Pioneer sets really are worth the extra expense, please trust me on this. You just need to see a direct comparison of the sets running side by side.
Old 28 January 2008, 08:46 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

I have been to pick up my lad from a house with a viewseven 32" lcd telly.
the pic was awful, i went on av forums for them to try and get better settings, she bought a hdmi player and the telly has no hd socket? the picture was terrible, it cost half the price of my viera nuff said.

as for moody dvd downloads, my iam legend was excellent
Old 28 January 2008, 09:09 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pioneer PDP428lx one of the Kruo screens, have a look at one before you buy, its a stunning picture.
Old 28 January 2008, 09:55 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Neither

Pioneer all the way

Quick Reply: Panny or Samsung ???