Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any CDM experts or CDM-Cs on here?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 05:52 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any CDM experts or CDM-Cs on here?

I work for a service arm for a large company. I've been tasked with drawing up a Specification and tendering for a new Operations Centre (a large office area with media walls and data centre).. I've done all this and we have since appointed a principal contractor.
We are about to start in a few weeks time but we're trying to iron out niggles.
The problem is that the Client is playing with the programme and appearing to try and do my job for me. Also he is talking directly to the Principal Contractor! The clock is ticking and although the Client keeps changing his mind he insists that the contractor lead-time is still moving forward.
They are due to start on site in a couple of weeks, but to me there are too many issues not yet resolved to carry on..

I have recently been on a CDM update course for latest 2007 regs. However, this will be the first CDM project I will be "running" (or trying to).

The client is very senior in the company and although I am fine approaching him and advising him that he needs to let go a bit, I've decided to involve the big boss of my department and he is now gunning for the Client. I've set a meeting for Thursday. Neither of the seniors knows much about CDM!

I will be taking advice tomorrow from my CDM-C. In the meantime are there any CDM experts on here that can help me get some facts before Thursday?

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 27 January 2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 27 January 2008, 06:19 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

My understanding of it is that most company's do their best to ignore it. It helps keep costs down that way.

Seems like your finding this out.

Can't really help with much advice, as my understanding of the ins and outs is very basic to say the least!
Old 27 January 2008, 06:38 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Yeh my problem is that previous places I've worked at have ignored it, hence my lack of experience.
The Client signed the F10 form the other day - he's 3 miles from my office so a special journey to get his signature. The next day he changed his mind regarding how he wanted the programme delivering which would mean the timescale would exceed what I had stated on the F10
Can only do F10s online too which means we'll have to do another from scratch now! I did warn him of this but he said that this was the final change. He said "The final change" every other time he made alterations!
This coupled with contractural alterations and cost changes means I'm chasing my tail every fookin day for this guy!

Nick
Old 27 January 2008, 08:57 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
In the meantime are there any CDM experts on here that can help me get some facts before Thursday?
What kind of info are you looking for?

I won't claim to be an expert, but I do deal with CDM a lot at work. I'll do my best to help if I can.