Old 28 January 2008, 11:13 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down Rottie kills owner in London street

BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Dog kills owner in horror attack

Dog kills owner in horror attack

Police said the dog was "dangerously out of control"

A 78-year-old man has died hours after being mauled by his rottweiler dog as he lay on an east London street.
Witnesses said James Rehill "looked like a doll" as the animal shook and bit him in Plaistow, on Sunday morning.
Residents tried to free Mr Rehill but it was only when police officers discharged six fire extinguishers at the dog that it released its owner.
Mr Rehill was taken to hospital suffering from severe head and facial injuries and died later that nigh

No comment from me as what I have to say'll get me infracted to death!
Old 28 January 2008, 11:18 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad story.

Having lived with Rotties and Dobermans myself I can vouch for what loving, soulful and even-tempered dogs Rotties can be.

I wonder if we're getting the whole story here?

ns04
Old 28 January 2008, 11:19 PM
Suuba
Scooby Regular

Sky news report the dog was trying to wake him up..

I'm confused

Bit weird the dog suddenly turns on him after that time
Old 29 January 2008, 08:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suuba
Sky news report the dog was trying to wake him up..

I'm confused

Bit weird the dog suddenly turns on him after that time
BBC News reporting the same thing.

Isn't this what happened to the French woman who had her face bitten off by her dog? She'd passed out on drugs and the dog was trying to wake her up. Obviously if you've only got teeth you're going to struggle to move anybody very gently.
Old 29 January 2008, 08:43 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

A likely story, we all know that Rottwielers are the evil and that anyone owning one is asking for trouble, and should be licensed, costing thousands of pounds so that anyone with little money (which obviously makes them pikey and not able to be responsible for a dog) can't have one.
Old 29 January 2008, 08:48 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
A likely story, we all know that Rottwielers are the evil and that anyone owning one is asking for trouble, and should be licensed, costing thousands of pounds so that anyone with little money (which obviously makes them pikey and not able to be responsible for a dog) can't have one.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and have never really interacted with these beautiful dogs

I am the very proud owner of a Rottweiller who is extremely well behaved. It's not about the dog it's about responsible dog ownership, which has absolutely nothing to do with how much money you have or what class you are.

18 months ago, my stepdaughter was attacked by a springer spaniel of my neighbours - penetrating bites to both forearms and bites to her chest. Never made the press but I'm damned sure it would have if it had been ours that had done it.
Old 29 January 2008, 08:50 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and have never really interacted with these beautiful dogs
Man, do I really have to put "I AM BEING SARCASTIC" at the beginning of the post?

To clarify, I meant almost the exact opposite of what I posted.
Old 29 January 2008, 08:52 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Man, do I really have to put "I AM BEING SARCASTIC" at the beginning of the post?

To clarify, I meant almost the exact opposite of what I posted.
My apologies...just get sick of all the anti-rottie drivel that comes out of the woodwork at times like this. I see red first, open my mouth and then think afterwards!

Apologies
Old 29 January 2008, 08:54 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

My apologies...just get sick of all the anti-rottie drivel that comes out of the woodwork at times like this. I see red first, open my mouth and then think afterwards!

Apologies
No need to apologise - It's easy to see red when you have idiots spouting " Rottie Attacks - Destroy all dogs" on a slow news day
Old 29 January 2008, 08:54 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

TBH I thought Pete was being serious as well, lack of or etc
Old 29 January 2008, 08:55 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
TBH I thought Pete was being serious as well, lack of or etc
I got in to work 1h15 mins early today - Evidently this may have been a mistake
Old 29 January 2008, 09:00 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

The fact that the dog did not go for anybody else is probably a good indication that it was just trying to wake up his owner.. It's a sad situation, and thats all it is!
Old 29 January 2008, 09:01 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Good old SN - Huge amounts of speculation on both sides of the fence, post mortem will sort this out.
Old 29 January 2008, 09:04 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
mauled ..........shook and bit ................ severe head and facial injuries and died .............
Wake him up my ***.
Old 29 January 2008, 09:48 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

18 months ago, my stepdaughter was attacked by a springer spaniel of my neighbours - penetrating bites to both forearms and bites to her chest. Never made the press but I'm damned sure it would have if it had been ours that had done it.
Sorry to hear about your stepdaughter - I hope this hasn't put her off dogs for good.

Dare one suggest that if she had been attacked by your Rottweiler rather than a Spaniel then the bites could have been much more serious and that is what would have made the press (who would then embellish the story, of course)? dl
Old 29 January 2008, 10:18 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Another Rottweiller attack and another round of people saying that they are just big softies and wonderful dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly!

I wonder if there will come a point when people start to consider that there may be something about this breed that means that they can't really be trusted after all?

Last time it was the dog must have been mis-treated, this time it's just that the dog was trying to wake its owner up, what excuse will it be next time?
Old 29 January 2008, 10:21 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Sorry to hear about your stepdaughter - I hope this hasn't put her off dogs for good.

Dare one suggest that if she had been attacked by your Rottweiler rather than a Spaniel then the bites could have been much more serious and that is what would have made the press (who would then embellish the story, of course)? dl
Thanks...she's ok now but much more wary of dogs, except our own!

You would have been amazed at the damage that dog did-the bite was so deep on one arm that she had fat coming out - I thought at first it was the dogs tooth embedded in her arm

Whenever a dog attacks it's not nice, it just seems that only certain dogs are highlighted and their breeds are tarnished. People are always surprised when we tell them it was a springer that attacked her - and then they always ask what she did to it as "they don't attack normally!"

She did nothing - had simply closed the gate and when she turned around the dog started to attack - he knew her too......later found out it wasn't the first time he'd done it but never so severely. I insisted the dog was destroyed and to be fair, he was that night....but then if mt dog ever bit anybody, he wouldn't get a second chance! As much as I love him, I couldn't take the risk of him doing it again.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:21 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Another Rottweiller attack and another round of people saying that they are just big softies and wonderful dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly!

I wonder if there will come a point when people start to consider that there may be something about this breed that means that they can't really be trusted after all?

Last time it was the dog must have been mis-treated, this time it's just that the dog was trying to wake its owner up, what excuse will it be next time?
"The Rotweillers were trying on the old 'one kneels behind the owner and the other pushes him' trick, but it went sadly wrong and the owner landed in it's jaws" .........erm, possibly?
Old 29 January 2008, 10:23 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the fact that it was misunderstood as it didn't use enough smilies?
Old 29 January 2008, 10:26 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Sounds plausible to me!

Seriously, there are loads of faithful dog stories, where the owner has died and the dog stayed with the owner to keep them warm, lick their face, look after them etc.

But the faithful dog story where the owner collapses and the dog rips off the owner's face is a new one on me.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

My perspective on rotties/big powerful dogs/breeds

My kids, infact we all love dogs, we do not have one but may do when we are in a better position to keep one - currently both adults work full time so not easy or right to keep one imho.

I have tried to teach the kids not to approach a dog unless the owners is there and i have checked with the owner first or if i feel it is not right to then it is a 'no go' for them.

TBH big powerful dogs like rotweillers do scare me as parent and i would think twice about letting my kids 'pet' one. It just seems to be cutting down on the risk.

My opinions may change of i knew someone with one and got to know the dog. I fear my predudice is due to a lack of having anything to do with them, but i put my kids safety above anything.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:28 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

No not at all. Any dog is capable of attacking...it doesn't mean that the whole breed are bad!

Plenty of other dogs attack with serious consequences without the press going ballistic!

My dog is beautiful and a big softie (he's been attacked by other dogs so many times, because they're frightened of his size and has never attacked back) but that doesn't mean all Rotties are...nor would I say that they were. Just get fed up with people judging them when they have never met one and know nothing at all about the breed.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:30 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

My thoughts exactly.

Sad story
Old 29 January 2008, 10:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Statistically, they patently are.

Number of dogs in the UK -6 million

Number of deaths per year caused by dogs = approx 5.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:36 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

No not at all. Any dog is capable of attacking...it doesn't mean that the whole breed are bad!

Hi Ritche,
totally agree with this. One major point is that the physical size and strenght of the animal means that the attack can be deadly.

If givene the choice between being attacked by a west highland terrier or a rottie i bet the westie would win hands down.

One other issue is that anyone can buy a dog, most i am sure a decent and responsible owners (and indeed breeders) buy/sell certain breeds attract certain types of owners who maybe buy the animals for the wrong reasons - for lookin' 'ard walking down da street maybe not ideal ownershiip criteria.

As sad as this is i do wonder why a 78 y/o has such a dog in the first place!

Last edited by The Zohan; 29 January 2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:36 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Oh dear - what a tragic story. And even more tragically yet ANOTHER thread on how awful dogs are
I don't want to get involved in this one - but think that judgement should be reserved until the PM has been carried out. I myself - love the rottie breed and with respect they are a lovely animal. But respect is what is lacking in society in general these days, so why would anyone bother with animals??
I think the biggest problem with ALL large dogs - is truely that..... they are large - therefore heavy and once they are on top of you, even playing, there is little you can do to get them off!
Condolancies to the friends and family and lets hope that rottie breeders don't get too much bad press..... AGAIN!
Old 29 January 2008, 10:37 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying all Rottweillers are bad, just that there is something about the breed that makes them more dangerous than most other breeds of dog.

Whether it's something deep down in their minds or not I don't know. All I am saying is that 99% of dogs would not attack their owners for lying down, it's almost like some rage takes over because they are being ignored or something.

I bet that 2 days ago, this poor chap who was killed would have been one of the ones saying that his dog wouldn't hurt a fly and was a big softy, truth is, I don't believe you can ever say that about this breed of dog. You can hope that it's the case, but the stats say different I'm afraid.

Last edited by Paul3446; 29 January 2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 29 January 2008, 10:38 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
My perspective on rotties/big powerful dogs/breeds

My kids, infact we all love dogs, we do not have one but may do when we are in a better position to keep one - currently both adults work full time so not easy or right to keep one imho.

I have tried to teach the kids not to approach a dog unless the owners is there and i have checked with the owner first or if i feel it is not right to then it is a 'no go' for them.

TBH big powerful dogs like rotweillers do scare me as parent and i would think twice about letting my kids 'pet' one. It just seems to be cutting down on the risk.

My opinions may change of i knew someone with one and got to know the dog. I fear my predudice is due to a lack of having anything to do with them, but i put my kids safety above anything.
No problem with that attitude to them at all...think that's very responsible.
As a responsible dog owner, I won't let anyone near my rottie unless I'm with him....you can never trust any dog 100% but I also don't want to give anyone the opportunity of accusing him! It's as much about protecting him as others.
Old 29 January 2008, 10:40 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As a responsible dog owner, I won't let anyone near my rottie unless I'm with him....you can never trust any dog 100% but I also don't want to give anyone the opportunity of accusing him! It's as much about protecting him as others.
I feel your attitude is spot on Ritchie, responsible for the sake of others and the dog!
Old 29 January 2008, 10:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

You can hope that it's the case, but the stats say different I'm afraid.

No they don't. Not even in the slightest.

Quick Reply: Rottie kills owner in London street