Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

do you trust your Doctor???

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2008, 12:31 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question do you trust your Doctor???

as some of you know i need an operation on my back and am in a lot of pain. i have to wait for about 2 months to get a pain killing jab so i asked my GP if i could have something in the meantime.
i explained that i didnt want 'out my face' drugs as i have a young daughter. i got prescribed TRAMADOL. i went home and looked it up and was shocked at what i found.....

please read a few of these comments i found on the web
scroll down to comments, i would like your opinion

Tramadol
Old 02 February 2008, 12:32 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what i was going to be sent home with yesterday but they changed it for higher dose co-codamol
Old 02 February 2008, 12:35 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
thats what i was going to be sent home with yesterday but they changed it for higher dose co-codamol
have a look at the comments that have been made. this stuff is worse than heroin and you suffer bad withdrawels after just 2 weeks

how is your elbow? i have tennis elbow for about 3 years now in my right arm and cant use it at all, the doc said the tablets would help
Old 02 February 2008, 12:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

yeah but thats only the negatives about the drugs. read the warnings on ibryprofen or something, shocking too.

people always build dependancy to painkillers. a lot anyway. especialy this sort of thing. i had the liquid version of those in hospital after the op and my god, not a care in the world, but not a nice feeling.

elbow is very painful and movement of my hand i dont wanna think about it lol. have you had cortizone on your elbow at all ? i use a support when the pain was bad, really helped.
Old 02 February 2008, 12:48 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

yeah but thats only the negatives about the drugs. read the warnings on ibryprofen or something, shocking too.

people always build dependancy to painkillers. a lot anyway. especialy this sort of thing. i had the liquid version of those in hospital after the op and my god, not a care in the world, but not a nice feeling.

elbow is very painful and movement of my hand i dont wanna think about it lol. have you had cortizone on your elbow at all ? i use a support when the pain was bad, really helped.

its the addictive side of it that worries me. you have to 'withdraw' and you get the skin crawles that junkies get, this is only after 2 weeks. everyone says its a good pain killer but the other stuff is worrying me. i am too scared to put the prescription in.
i had a jab ib my elbow at xmas but the pain is coming back already. ity has also made the skin where they put the needle go very thin and dry. i also have tennis elbow in my left thumb lol , same pain different place. not heard of anyone having an op for tennis elbow.
Old 02 February 2008, 12:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

its common name tendonitis explains how you can get it there i have it in my right shoulder also.

cortizone only lasted about 6 weeks for me too. 3 jabs then they put me down for the op.

dont worry too much about the addiction, its probably very limited, but you have found somewhere that everyone with a bad exprience has posted, bit like an anti website lol.

the feeling might not agree with you though. i would not have been happy coming home on them tbh. didnt like how i felt. even the pharmacist in the hospital recommended against, unless i had been observed on them in hospital by her for 12 hours.

the op i had is pretty common actually. cleans up the tendon of dead tissue. allowing it to heal properly.simple procedure, but a little uncomfortable. especially when he tells you about drilling the bone lol
Old 02 February 2008, 12:59 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If you look at the side effects and warnings for most drugs, they are pretty similar, being a long list of alarming effects. Its like a general purpose disclaimer just incase something happens to you, so the drug manufacturer can't be held responsible

My favourite is the side effects listed with asthma inhalers - "may cause shortness of breath"
Old 02 February 2008, 01:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

yeah but thats only the negatives about the drugs. read the warnings on ibuprofen or something, shocking too.
True.

The answer to the title of this thread is "No". Most GPs are working as just ignorant body mechanics, they don't even bother checking you most of the time. Just on symptoms, they start with most generalised medication. Then you keep going back, they keep changing the medication without doing any further tests on you for most visible probs that should be worth testing.

My comments above are not to attack all the GPs, but the horror stories I have heard from many doesn't help my views on doctors' practices.

In your case, may be, that perticular painkiller is most prescribed drug for pain relief. So far side effects are concerened, you have to lose something to gain something.
My family (including me) were prescribed Chloroquine, an anti-malarial drug a few years ago for a trip abroad. None of my families but I suffered from one of it's side effects i.e. hair loss. As a woman, I was mortified! I kept going back to the GP to ask for the reasons (that i was unaware of then) and treatment. I was told repeatedly that it was just alopecia due to stress etc. Anyway, my hair grew back, and after years of this, when I was due to visit Africa, I looked into the suitability and side effects of anti-malarial drugs. That's when I found out that it was Chloroquine that made my hair fall. As you can see, doctor himself never looked into the reasons, he was not bothered. His "Here and now" meant more to him, rather than any history, attention to detail etc.

Sara, If you are concerned, go back to your doctor and get the prescription changed.

Last edited by Turbohot; 02 February 2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02 February 2008, 01:02 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

One of my docs actually pulls up these pages and shows me when prescribing things so I tend to sneak a look for other things as well.
Tramadol (Oral Route) - MayoClinic.com

Some of the stuff I've had, you'd want a hazmat suit to go near it according to the warnings but with the exception of one where I exhibited side effects, all have been fine (and there's been a few!).

I think it's one of the things the internet is not so good at in that as Snazy says, the emphasis is always on the negative.

I'm sure your GP has taken your circumstances into account and has prescribed something appropriate but if your at all concerned, talk to him again, having you anxious about side effects and dependencies won't do you much good at all in the big picture.
Old 02 February 2008, 01:02 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

to be honestm ask your pharmasist as they are far more in touch with the drugs market than the doctors and usually have better knowledge and advice. then return to your gp with the pharmacists recommendation, if any.
Old 02 February 2008, 01:03 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

TH, some anti-malaria drigs are quite nasty; My dad ended up being covered in ulcers because them. I didn't suffer a thing...and yet, I'm the one who is supposed to be allergic to everything
Old 02 February 2008, 01:04 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

its common name tendonitis explains how you can get it there i have it in my right shoulder also.

cortizone only lasted about 6 weeks for me too. 3 jabs then they put me down for the op.

dont worry too much about the addiction, its probably very limited, but you have found somewhere that everyone with a bad exprience has posted, bit like an anti website lol.

the feeling might not agree with you though. i would not have been happy coming home on them tbh. didnt like how i felt. even the pharmacist in the hospital recommended against, unless i had been observed on them in hospital by her for 12 hours.

the op i had is pretty common actually. cleans up the tendon of dead tissue. allowing it to heal properly.simple procedure, but a little uncomfortable. especially when he tells you about drilling the bone lol
i tried to find a forum for and against. surely the addictiveness is the same for everyone.
i am tempted to try it for a day just to get rid of the pain, dont know though

i think i would rather have tennis elbow than that op, is it definitely going to make your arm better. i cant even write with my right hand. even turning the key in my door kills me

tendinitis was the word i meant
Old 02 February 2008, 01:04 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

to be honestm ask your pharmasist as they are far more in touch with the drugs market than the doctors and usually have better knowledge and advice. then return to your gp with the pharmacists recommendation, if any.
So true, again. Farmacists seem to have better knowledge and more time to pay attention to your problem.
Old 02 February 2008, 01:09 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i might give Boots a call....
Old 02 February 2008, 01:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i tried to find a forum for and against. surely the addictiveness is the same for everyone.
i am tempted to try it for a day just to get rid of the pain, dont know though

i think i would rather have tennis elbow than that op, is it definitely going to make your arm better. i cant even write with my right hand. even turning the key in my door kills me

tendinitis was the word i meant
addiction is far more mental than physical and deffers for all. same as smokingm some can quit, others would rather die.
speak to the pharmacist, honest try a boots chemist, or somewhere with a good one.
chances of dependancy is low

as for the op, its not that bad compaired to the daily pain, even with a 25% chance of it working, its worth it.
straight forward,

knock you out
open arm
move muscles aside
remove dead tissue
clean tendons
drill holes into bone to aid healing (causes a bleed)
close you up

recovery is quite fast, but a while to return to normal
Old 02 February 2008, 01:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

example of warnings, this is what im on now...

Co-codamol tablets (30/500)

and im fine cuckoo cuckoo lol

slightly not with it but it works and in ok
Old 02 February 2008, 01:20 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
TH, some anti-malaria drigs are quite nasty; My dad ended up being covered in ulcers because them. I didn't suffer a thing...and yet, I'm the one who is supposed to be allergic to everything
They are! The cameraman who accompanied me to Africa was neary dying of the side effects! The day he took his tablet (he was on once a week prescription), he would get strange mood swings, and puke all day!
Old 02 February 2008, 01:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

and just to make you feel better. other drugs that have frequented my body in the past 2 months

Co-dydramol

Diclofenac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pulvinal salbutamol inhaler

Coversyl (perindopril)

Amlodipine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

shall i go on lol
Old 02 February 2008, 01:28 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i gave Boots a call and got some good advise...i was told not to take them if i was on my own or on my own with Angel. definitely do not drive or use hedge trimmers.

they are related to Morphine and i will become addicted physically if i take them for only 2 weeks.
i think i know what i will do now

hello swatti
Old 02 February 2008, 01:29 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

and just to make you feel better. other drugs that have frequented my body in the past 2 months

Co-dydramol

Diclofenac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pulvinal salbutamol inhaler

Coversyl (perindopril)

Amlodipine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

shall i go on lol
i think a general anesthetic might be safer
Old 02 February 2008, 01:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

yup could have told you they were morphine related
hence the wierdo feeling

pharmacists are great aint they lol.
Old 02 February 2008, 01:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

i think a general anesthetic might be safer

general anesthetic is cool lol
the feeling going out, weeeeeeeeeeeee

gutted i didnt get the last word in, but bid them goodnight
Old 02 February 2008, 01:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

hello Swati
Hi, Sara.
Very sorry to learn about your health probs. Hope you feel better and get it sorted successfully.
Old 02 February 2008, 01:33 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i've made it common practise not to read the warning labels that come with pills, or read up on them on the internet. you'd end up not trusting anything and that doesn't help your situation at all.

i've got through a few different types of painkiller now and like you i didn't want one that spaced me out too much, trouble is these are the ones that tend to work

only ones that i've had real problems with are nefopam, they just sent me to sleep. not drowsy, i'm talking passing out sleep. so they went in the bin.

the dependancy/addiction thing is a hard one to call IMHO, it depends how you are as a person. why do addicts become addicts? it's a head thing in my view. i became mildly addicted to the painkillers i was on for about 4 months last year, when i went in for yet another repeat prescription my gp sat me down for a chat and basically told me i needed to cut back on the usage and informed me of the long term side effects. bit of a wake up call

it's a vicious circle though, i took more than i should have done because it made me feel good and after months of pain and feeling very down it was nice to feel normal again. downside is you can't go cold turkey because you're relying on the pain killers to do their job, so unless your problem has gone you're back to square one.

i can honeslty say i've had some kind of addiction to every painkiller i've ever taken, even way back when i took neurofen for the first time. lol, i must sound like a right proper junkie

anyways i'm waffling, if you're worried sara go back to your gp. there's plenty of different types out there (just don't google your next prescription, take them and see what happens)
Old 02 February 2008, 01:34 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

its my age swatti

i think if i moved to spain i would be better off.

as for a general snazy, its when that white stuff goes in your arm. you get about 3 seconds of lovely marshmallow feeling then you are awake again in pain
Old 02 February 2008, 01:38 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

yup could have told you they were morphine related
hence the wierdo feeling

pharmacists are great aint they lol.
bladdy Morphine ffs

i will be itching my nose like a smack head all day. there is no way i want to take that stuff at this stage. its not like i am dying or anything
Old 02 February 2008, 01:39 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Is Diclofenac (Voltarol) not contraindicated with asthma, I presume that's why to take the salbutamol?

Mark A
Old 02 February 2008, 01:42 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark A
Is Diclofenac (Voltarol) not contraindicated with asthma, I presume that's why to take the salbutamol?

Mark A
salbutamol opens the airways and voltarol reduces inflammation..........dunno

google them together and see what comes up
Old 02 February 2008, 01:47 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol they work fine together, taken for totally unrelated issues

asthma and muscle spasm with damaged rotatorcuff.

the morphine was a god send thursday night lol
Old 02 February 2008, 01:50 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

lol they work fine together, taken for totally unrelated issues

asthma and muscle spasm with damaged rotatorcuff.

the morphine was a god send thursday night lol
i bet you wouldnt have been able to play scrabble though

Quick Reply: do you trust your Doctor???