Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pub Measures - anybody in the license trade?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2008, 08:34 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pub Measures - anybody in the license trade?

just been to the pub and was served a pint of beer in an oversized pint glass.

The manageress filled the head to the pint line, I told her she was supposed to fill the liquid to the pint line

She disagreed with me, so I told her she did not know how to run a pub

Before I report them to weights and measure, am I right ? (I am 99.9% certain that I am )
Old 03 February 2008, 08:40 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Pint glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uk Law states that 95% of the pint should be liquid.

Some stuff about the "lined" glasses in there too but it looks like as long as the head isn't more than 5% then she was right according to current law.

I stand to be corrected though.

Last edited by Avi; 03 February 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: aa
Old 03 February 2008, 08:41 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You're right me thinks. The whole point of having the line is that you know you are getting the right amount of beer. With her method, you could just slop the beer into the glass and have half a pint of head

Nope, she does not know what she is doing...
Old 03 February 2008, 08:48 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

slight exaggeration, but tis is what my pint looked like

Old 03 February 2008, 08:52 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
You're right me thinks. The whole point of having the line is that you know you are getting the right amount of beer. With her method, you could just slop the beer into the glass and have half a pint of head

Nope, she does not know what she is doing...
Yes .. morally you are right.. not so sure legally though
Old 03 February 2008, 08:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

My boots were made for walking and that is exactly what I would do if someone served me up a short measure

Pubs are trying to tell us that they are having a hard time of it as it is. If they need our support, serving people short is not going to help!
Old 03 February 2008, 09:02 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

from memory (haven't worked in a pub for a few years so it may be different)

'a reasonable head may form part of the pint, however the customer has the right to request a top up if they are not entirely satisfied'

not sure if this is legal or just company policy though (whitbread at the time)
Old 03 February 2008, 09:12 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

The 2003 Licensing Act states that:

i) You must serve the requested measure in the correct glass. Therefore a pint must be served in a 20oz (pint) glass (this will have the crown or CE stamp on it), half pint should be in a 10oz glass (1/2 pint), wine must be served to the requested measure of 125ml or 175ml and multiples of, though the glass does not have to be lined.

ii)A draught or cask product must be 95% liquid and 5% head. You may request a top-up if you woulld like one.

If the beer is dispensed from a bottle this will only contain the measure of the contents of the bottle e.g. 500ml rather than the 568ml pint we are used to.
Old 03 February 2008, 09:23 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I thought a standard (traditional) pint glass held exactly a pint? so, with a head, there should be less than 1 pint of liquid.

i.e. I think she was right
Old 03 February 2008, 09:24 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Isn't the whole point of these oversized glasses is the fact that you get a full pint (up to the line) and head (over the line up to the top of the glass).
Old 03 February 2008, 09:27 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

The oversize glasses are usually used when you have a continental beer which produces a large head, but still gives you the 95% liquid required of a pint.

As long as there is a minimum of 539ml of liquid in the glass, it does not matter what size the head is in an over sized glass - my brother,a licencee, says it's just the server being lazy and not producing the perfect serve.

Last edited by scoobyvirgin; 03 February 2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Just clarifying
Old 03 February 2008, 09:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to work in a pub and got really p1sed off with old tossers mithering that their pint was 0.000001 milliliter's short and having to get the actual pint glass to decant it into to prove beyond all doubt it was near as dammit a pint.

To be honest they would lose more in the proof stage and really even if it were short it would be no bad thing based on their bulbous bright red noses, and over seven or so pints every night it wouldn't actually deprive them.

If its well short, go somewhere else.

When I worked on the bar at Manchester airport, some of the long serving staff, the ones really jaded with the public would top up pints without the aid of beer, so be careful.

Last edited by J4CKO; 03 February 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04 February 2008, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me that she knew exactly what she was doing.

Les
Old 04 February 2008, 11:54 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If pints were all, say, 10% head, then work out how many more "pints" they can get out of a barrel.

A line is drawn (5%) so any more than this, you can request a top up.
Old 04 February 2008, 02:16 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

One of our locals poured two glasses of wine for two lasses. One was a nadgers short so the lass asked for a top up. The landlord topped that one up but then picked up the second (which was a nadgers over) and poured a bit down the sink until it was spot on.

Stunned silence from the lasses but I nearly wet myself laughing. What a star.

In my view fullsize glasses should have no more than 5% head but lined glasses should be liquid to the line, that's why they were introduced.
Old 04 February 2008, 02:29 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazza-uk
She disagreed with me, so I told her she did not know how to run a pub
I've booted people out, and barred them, for this.

And you don't want to know what the kitchen staff do to the meals that get sent back.
Old 04 February 2008, 02:35 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I've booted people out, and barred them, for this.

And you don't want to know what the kitchen staff do to the meals that get sent back.
Why run a customer service based business if you dont look after the most important thing..............Customers!

And if i ever got a hint that some tw@t in the kitchen did something to my food, i would march in there and punch the head chef, or who ever was in charge for letting it happen, then when some little ****** looked guilty id tw@t him too,

Then you can bar me!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 February 2008, 03:32 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Why run a customer service based business if you dont look after the most important thing..............Customers!

And if i ever got a hint that some tw@t in the kitchen did something to my food, i would march in there and punch the head chef, or who ever was in charge for letting it happen, then when some little ****** looked guilty id tw@t him too,

Then you can bar me!!!!!!!!!!
If we really cared about the customers we'd send them somewhere better.

Most of the kitchen staff I've encountered are highly strung and always have sharp knives in their hands - even when they aren't cooking. Walk in there if you want.

I've seen one chef-de-ping rub crayfish around his knackers before serving them, one case of a waitress being left in tears by rude customers and the kitchen staff adding "special" mayonaise to the meal as revenge. All staff on the cook line adopt the mythical "30 second rule" - although they just generally examine it by eye and serve it if it's hairless or fluffless no matter how long it was on the floor.

I've seen an experienced manager of over 25 years, watering down lager, even though it's supposed to be impossible to do now (you have to take apart a coupler and then slowly depresurise the keg), casks are open to abuse as you only need a funnel. I've seen wine topped up with any other cheap wine which matches the same colour - and it only goes on sale on the busy days e.g. friday when they can guarentee it'll get sold through and it's so busy that no-one will come back to complain as it already took them 10 minutes to get served.

There is a hell of a lot of pressure placed on managers these days, who then pass it down to the staff. This is mainly down to the company trying to cut jobs at other locations e.g. stock-takers at head office, and placing this job solely on the hands of the house manager. The manager than gets pressure from his/her area manager about stock levels, who insist that every drop of beer, wine, every sinlge overcooked chip etc is recorded to the stock wastage system. The manager then gets the hump with people that tell him/her they can't run a pub, but you can guarentee that this person, with their superior knowledge cannot or does not

- hold a pesonal licence
- act as the named designated premises supervisor (and avoid getting fined up to £20,000 should something go wrong)
- order wet and dry stock
- supervise deliveries of wet and dry stocks
- enter all deliveries on to the stock system
- carry out weekly stock takes
- carry out high risk stock takes twice a week
- carry out high value stock takes
- investigate any deficits
- hire staff
- train staff
- rota staff (6 weeks in adavance - mind-reading is essential)
- pay staff
- perform cash checks
- bank takings (and try not to get mugged)
- collect heavy bags of change (again, trying not to get mugged)
- cash up at the end of night
- investigate and rectify and cash deficits
- investigate any surplusses (which is harder to corect than deficits)
- clean keg lines
- clean cask lines
- clean cellar and prepare casks in adavnce so the beer can finish the before going on sale
- complete all necesarry H&S checks before opening up the premisis
- complete all due diligence before opening and closing
- carry out day-to-day repairs which do not require a tradesmen
The list goes on... It probably explains why most managers like to have a drink!

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 04 February 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: hadn't finished...
Old 04 February 2008, 03:36 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

If we really cared about the customers we'd send them somewhere better.

Most of the kitchen staff I've encountered are highly strung and always have sharp knives in their hands - even when they aren't cooking. Walk in there if you want.

I've seen one chef-de-ping rub crayfish around his knackers before serving them, one case of a waitress being left in tears by rude customers and the kitchen staff adding "special" mayonaise to the meal as revenge. All staff on the cook line adopt the mythical "30 second rule" - although they just generally examine it by eye and serve it if it's hairless or fluffless no matter how long it was on the floor.

I've seen an experienced manager of over 25 years, watering down lager, even though it's supposed to be impossible to do now (you have to take apart a coupler and then slowly depresurise the keg), casks are open to abuse as you only need a funnel. I've seen wine topped up with any other cheap wine which matches the same colour - and it only goes on sale on the busy days e.g. friday when they can guarentee it'll get sold through and it's so busy that no-one will come back to complain as it already took them 10 minutes to get served.

There is a hell of a lot of pressure placed on managers these days, who then pass it down to the staff. This is mainly down to the company trying to cut jobs at other locations e.g. stock-takers at head office, and placing this job solely on the hands of the house manager. The manager than gets pressure from his/her area manager about stock levels, who insist that every drop of beer, wine, every sinlge overcooked chip etc is recorded to the stock wastage system. The manager then gets the hump with people that tell him/her they can't run a pub, but you can guarentee that this person, with their superior knowledge cannot or does not

- hold a pesonal licence
- act as the named designated premises supervisor (and avoid getting fined up to £20,000 should something go wrong)
- order wet and dry stock
- supervise deliveries of wet and dry stocks
- enter all deliveries on to the stock system
- carry out weekly stock takes
- carry out high risk stock takes twice a week
- carry out high value stock takes
- investigate any deficits
- hire staff
- train staff
- rota staff (6 weeks in adavance - mind-reading is essential)
- perform cash checks
- bank takings (and try not to get mugged)
- collect heavy bags of change (again, trying not to get mugged)
- cash up at the end of night
- investigate and rectify and cash deficits
- investigate any surplusses (which is harder to corect than deficits)
Honestly ............. my heart bleeds for you. Its called a job, you chose that profession so no point in moaning about it now.

Get a grip
Old 04 February 2008, 03:38 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Honestly ............. my heart bleeds for you. Its called a job, you chose that profession so no point in moaning about it now.

Get a grip
Only pointing out there is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes. It's not all about leaning on the end of the bar getting bladdered.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:44 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Only pointing out there is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes. It's not all about leaning on the end of the bar getting bladdered.
Every job has got loads more going on behind the scenes. For someone to state that its ok for chefs to carry out those functions as stated above is disgusting.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:57 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

You can guarantee that the manager won't know what the kitchen staff are up to as they will behave correctly when the manager is present.

If an EHO inspector turns up the kitchen staff are posessed by hygiene, always washing and sanitising their equipment and hands etc, but when they are under pressure and the inspector or manager isn't on the same room as them, they will not wash their hands after touching every item they come across.

I'm not condoning the actions or examples I've given above. I've had to give disciplinaries to kitchen managers for leaving spilt custard inside microwaves over night. The examples of tampering with the food and drink given above should get the manangers in question sacked.

I'm always wary about where I eat when I go out. And I don't argue with the staff just in case! Still, I'm not that fussed about going out to eat, I'd rather prepare my own and know what's gone in to it. And knowing that Carling only costs the pub around 42p/pint makes me wonder why I'd want to go out and pay £2.30 for it to be poured by someone else.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:59 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

You can guarantee that the manager won't know what the kitchen staff are up to as they will behave correctly when the manager is present.

If an EHO inspector turns up the kitchen staff are posessed by hygiene, always washing and sanitising their equipment and hands etc, but when they are under pressure and the inspector or manager isn't on the same room as them, they will not wash their hands after touching every item they come across.

I'm not condoning the actions or examples I've given above. I've had to give disciplinaries to kitchen managers for leaving spilt custard inside microwaves over night. The examples of tampering with the food and drink given above should get the manangers in question sacked.

I'm always wary about where I eat when I go out. And I don't argue with the staff just in case! Still, I'm not that fussed about going out to eat, I'd rather prepare my own and know what's gone in to it. And knowing that Carling only costs the pub around 42p/pint makes me wonder why I'd want to go out and pay £2.30 for it to be poured by someone else.

Old 04 February 2008, 04:12 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

£2.30?

Are you still in 1997 or just a really bad area?
Old 04 February 2008, 04:17 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Standard price for the pub brand in the East Midlands. All in 'better' areas of Nottingham. The prices are set by brand, for example Ember charges £2.30, Harvester charges £2.40 (and only two minutes down the road) and the Bank only charges £1.99 even though all ar owned by the same parent company.
Old 04 February 2008, 04:20 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's just short of £3 where I am. Rip-off.

Not that I'd let the awful stuff pass my lips.
Old 04 February 2008, 04:20 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

£2.20 for Carling in our local, not that I drink that pish, £2.40 for Grolsch, again East Midlands, Grantham
Old 04 February 2008, 04:21 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Premium stuff tends to have slid past the £3 mark in most places.
Old 04 February 2008, 04:26 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Leffe would be but it's only sold in half pints at £1.75, still there's talk of a price increase very soon...
Old 04 February 2008, 06:01 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
£2.30?

Are you still in 1997 or just a really bad area?

There is a nice pub in the market place where I live that will serve you at less than £2 a pint

Quick Reply: Pub Measures - anybody in the license trade?