Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

John Lewis warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2008, 12:52 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question John Lewis warranty

Can anyone shed some light on John Lewis Warranties for me?

I went in to a "large-electrical-retailer" on Saturday and enquired about a 42" Panasonic Plasma TV. They gave me their best price and I pointed out that John Lewis do it for virtually the same price but with a "free" 5 year warranty. He checked with his manager and she said that the John Lewis warranties were rubbish and only allowed you to make one claim within the 5 years!?! Sounded odd to me, but I thought I would check to see if anyone had any experience with the warranties that John Lewis provide.

I have to admit to being a bit lazy here and haven't searched their website for the answers but I thought someone on here may know the answer!
Old 04 February 2008, 01:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

John Lewis Customer Service/Support is legendary, I wouldn't worry.

Not sure where you went - could have been Currys? Well simply do a search on SN or Google for Currys or DSG Retail Customer Support and you will be in no doubt where to shop!
Old 04 February 2008, 01:10 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as grandad says - legendary for all the right reasons.

Large electrical retailer - that will be one intent on selling you a warranty and how they earn their commission and make up their salary. I would not shop with them as they are prepared to lie to you to get their sale.

I would also mention to JL's how they are being portrayed as i am sure they would not be at all happy.
Old 04 February 2008, 01:15 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Remember John Lewis do a price match also
Old 04 February 2008, 01:37 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Complete lies. JL's customer service is legendary, and as Paul says, for all the right reasons. I speak from experience.

I would tell JL what is being said about them. Serious accusation, way beyond 'salemanship'.

Richard.
Old 04 February 2008, 02:34 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Or go to Richer Sounds and buy the TV for LESS and WITH the 5 year PANASONIC warranty, not some limited 3rd party one.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:14 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

John Lewis Customer Service/Support is legendary, I wouldn't worry.

Not sure where you went - could have been Currys? Well simply do a search on SN or Google for Currys or DSG Retail Customer Support and you will be in no doubt where to shop!
Have you had a problem with Curry's then Pete

Chip

Trending Topics

Old 04 February 2008, 04:35 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, I thought it was them just trying to get the sale

Will take a closer look at JL & Richer Sounds
Old 04 February 2008, 06:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Why did post 2 get a neg rating?
Old 04 February 2008, 06:30 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

some saddos about pete, no reason or it at all.
Old 04 February 2008, 06:56 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

No idea....can't see anything wrong with it?
Old 04 February 2008, 07:44 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

JL price matched Empire direct for me last week on my 42" Viera,and gave me 5 yr warranty and free delivery..

Richer sounds were Ł100 dearer,3 years warranty and had to pick it up myself..

JL all the way

Oh..The guy at Curry's tried the "JL warranty is rubbish line"..I asked how much there warranty was for 5 years,its Ł249 was his reply..So i said,knock Ł249 off the price of the tv and i will buy it now with your 5 year warranty at full price..
He walked off in a huff..
Old 04 February 2008, 07:48 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Empire direct (in Romford) was the place that gave me the line about JL.
Old 04 February 2008, 07:57 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Think there all trying to say it, JL has such a concrete customer care policy and warranty program,i think its kicking them all in the wedding Veg..

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 04 February 2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04 February 2008, 07:59 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

"He checked with his manager and she said that the John Lewis warranties were rubbish and only allowed you to make one claim within the 5 years!?! "

i work for JL and its a full 5 year warrantie and i have never seen any one have any issues that have not been sorted out, it reall **** me off somtimes We even bend over backwards when the customer is playing the game and milking our reputation for customer service….. I have been forced in the past to refund a customer after there light broke after 3-4 years and my DM was forced me to replace this item with a more expensive replacement ( 4 lights in total even tho only one was faulty and it was prob caused by there DIY skills

you will have no probs with JL mate thats why we are number one, (+ i need as much Bonus as possible to buy a new turbo )
Old 04 February 2008, 08:03 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Old 04 February 2008, 08:32 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
"He checked with his manager and she said that the John Lewis warranties were rubbish and only allowed you to make one claim within the 5 years!?! "

i work for JL and its a full 5 year warrantie and i have never seen any one have any issues that have not been sorted out, it reall **** me off somtimes We even bend over backwards when the customer is playing the game and milking our reputation for customer service….. I have been forced in the past to refund a customer after there light broke after 3-4 years and my DM was forced me to replace this item with a more expensive replacement ( 4 lights in total even tho only one was faulty and it was prob caused by there DIY skills

you will have no probs with JL mate thats why we are number one, (+ i need as much Bonus as possible to buy a new turbo )

Slightly off topic for a sec............I work at Waitrose. When's our bonus due?
Old 04 February 2008, 09:33 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Steve,

Have a look here mate:

PRC Direct UK Electrical Retailer - Audio Visual and Home Cinema Products

Old 04 February 2008, 09:38 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I've got the vast majority of my stuff from JL in the past, as have a lot of my family.

Never had an issue whatsoever
Old 04 February 2008, 10:32 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S600B_DC
JL are cheaper by Ł70 on my Viera than on that site..

Some not bad prices tho..
Old 05 February 2008, 08:52 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine currently about to start legal action against JL due to a 3rd party contractor damaging pipes and scratching skirtings and fittings when laying a carpet.

JL not admitting liability

Very surprising and apparently out of character.

Their initial cash offer was paltry to say the least but hopefully they will sort it out .......

On the other hand a colleague of mine (who used to work for JL) tells a tale of JL replacing a faulty umbrella for a customer who didn't have a receipt, turns out the umbrella also had a St Michael label on it but the cuckoo customer was insistent that she bought it at JL so the manager insisted the member of staff replaced it just to save the name of JL !!

Have to say I've always found them excellent
Old 05 February 2008, 08:59 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Bought a Hard Drive DVD Recorder (80G) from them in a sale.

Went wrong about a year later, took it back, but as I'd got in the sale I couldn't get a decent replacement for the refund money.

They went halves on an upgrade and I walked away with a brand new machine, brand new warranty with 160G
Old 05 February 2008, 09:01 AM
Speech
Scooby Regular

Yep, have to say only had good experiences with JL myself.

Once my folks had their DVD player go a bit wonky and took it back to supplier (NOT JL) and it was sent away for repair and whole thing dragged on for ages, last year my mum went back to JL with my sisters DVD player which was 1 week away from warranty running out, was told to choose a new one on the spot!
Old 05 February 2008, 09:07 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
Think there all trying to say it, JL has such a concrete customer care policy and warranty program,i think its kicking them all in the wedding Veg..
It's about time that they went bust .... or buck up their ideas to match JL!

I see that Pixmania is owned by DSG Retail, who own Currys, Dixons and PCWorld ...... is it just coincidence that they have a bad reputation too?

What makes a group like the Currys Group so bad when dealing with customers? Does the policy come from the top? It puzzles me somewhat - does JL employ genuine honest people with goodwill, is that it?
Old 05 February 2008, 09:11 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

"Never knowingly undersold"

One of the best retail marketing lines of the 20th century
Old 05 February 2008, 09:13 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Superb customer care from JL. Girlfriend bought some super-duper blinds for the full-height windows in her flat that cut UV etc. (so her furniture wouldn't get faded!).

The first lot installed by JL's sub-contractor was slightly creased on one of the panels - "no problem, we'll order a new set" which they did. Unfortunately the fitter creased one whilst installing it!

Large apologies from JL, the manager in charge of soft furnishing (or whatever dept it was) came out and brought the supplier's rep from Rotterdam with him - resulted in completely new blinds fitted by one of the manufacturer's guys and new blinds for the bedroom window supplied & fitted free as an apology.

Even the delivery guys are more friendly & helpful than any other supplier's we've used.
Old 05 February 2008, 09:19 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I hope we are all taking note here!

Get JL to price-match the likes of Currys and you have the best of both price AND amazing Customer Service when something goes wrong.

There will be a tipping point at which the masses desert the likes of Currys, not sure when that will be - but it will be irreversable when it happens!
Old 05 February 2008, 07:33 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Slightly off topic for a sec............I work at Waitrose. When's our bonus due?
15th I think the word on the “street” is its going to be 20%. Good to see all the positive feedback on here next time I am dossing off work looking at Scooby net I will be able to say I am doing market research , sweet…

I am going to make a post on the weekend seeing how many of us Scooby netters work for the partnership will prob time it with the bonus %…… sadly I have some great JL themed Scooby photos sad I no but that’s what happens when you have loads of free time and a whole fleet of john Lewis vans at your disposal
Old 05 February 2008, 09:00 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I hope we are all taking note here!

Get JL to price-match the likes of Currys and you have the best of both price AND amazing Customer Service when something goes wrong.

There will be a tipping point at which the masses desert the likes of Currys, not sure when that will be - but it will be irreversable when it happens!
Pete, it will never happen whilst currys offer credit terms 0% and nothing to pay for a year, etc, etc to chavs no matter how bad thier credit hiistory is.

Currys are not interested in great customer service just good enought to get you in the door, get you to buy, ideally with a currys warranty then to **** off until you need something else from them.

if you have a problem the it is just tough, plenty more need 0% and 12 month free of payments mate!
Old 06 February 2008, 09:43 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Part of the reason JL customer service is better than any other is that the staff at JL own the company, hence the reference to the bonus in the thread.

In the other stores staff are focussed on commission to boost their salaries and therefore will try and get sale no matter what.

Which reminds me I need to write to PCWorld to confirm my discussion about some missing keyboards etc.

Quick Reply: John Lewis warranty