Sky+ problems with DVD recording

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2008, 08:22 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky+ problems with DVD recording

Life used to be simple.

I had a sony DVD recorder, fancied recording something on Sky, pressed record and off you go. Someone decided to buy me Sky+ which seemed pretty good, BUT it refuses to allow my DVD recorder to record anything other than BBC channels and ITV.

My old Sky box allowed me to record anything, does anyone else know if a known "fault". This is Sky, so I expect there to be one !
Old 04 February 2008, 08:31 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

I`ve got a Sony DVD recorder linked to my Sky+ box not having any problems with it. It is conected with scart leads and I do have to make sure that ext 3 is selected on the recorder as that is where the Sky+ box is pluged into. You can then recors whatever you are watching in real time or you can go to theSky+ planner and select copy on the program and then record it when you are in bed.
Old 04 February 2008, 08:39 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by All Torque
I`ve got a Sony DVD recorder linked to my Sky+ box not having any problems with it. It is conected with scart leads and I do have to make sure that ext 3 is selected on the recorder as that is where the Sky+ box is pluged into. You can then recors whatever you are watching in real time or you can go to theSky+ planner and select copy on the program and then record it when you are in bed.
I can record in realtime, as long as it's BBC channels. If I try to record anything else it displays "record error". If I try to use the planner to copy my saved programs it records the first second then nothing. I'm wondering if this is some sort of copy protection?
Old 04 February 2008, 08:39 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I might be wrong, but does Sky+ not put Macrovision (or similar) copy protection on its output? (Unless you use copy from the planner).

If that's the case, you might need one of the widgets (of questionable legality ) that will remove the Macrovision from the Sky+ video output.
Old 04 February 2008, 08:56 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Saying that though my Sony has a hard drive as well and I always record from Sky+ to the DVD HD, then do all the editing, then record to disk. Never had anything like macrovision from mine always crystal clear.
Old 04 February 2008, 09:31 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Well I just swapped to my old box Sky box and it all records fine.

Bugger
Old 05 February 2008, 12:02 AM
miff13
Scooby Regular

When you use copy from the planner, after you've pressed copy and select twice, you're not pressing any other buttons are you? If you press anything on the remote once it's started it stops the recording. When you're copying or recording from the planner you can't watch anything else, I assume you know that?
Old 05 February 2008, 09:58 AM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miff13
When you use copy from the planner, after you've pressed copy and select twice, you're not pressing any other buttons are you? If you press anything on the remote once it's started it stops the recording. When you're copying or recording from the planner you can't watch anything else, I assume you know that?
Yep, It records say the first 2 seconds, then it's almost as if it receives a mystical signal, it then stops. If I do this with BBC1, or ITV it works fine.
Old 05 February 2008, 01:42 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

I've never tried to record live off my sky box, but I can't see that it can be a copyright protection issue, otherwise you wouldn't be able to copy from the planner or copy on playback from the planner. Sounds like a duff box to me.