Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any vets about

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2008, 07:52 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy any vets about

Came home from work today to find my dog hanging in between the banister rail, not moving just looked at me when I walked in, and there was a pool of blood on the floor. She has just turned 2 and not fully grown english springer spaniel and she got stuck on her rear shoulders.

I manovered her out gently and checked her gums to see if they were pale, but they seemed okay, but her mouth was very dry (lot of saliva on the floor also) so I gave her a drink we she did drink albeit lying down on the floor. I then rang the vets to make sure they were still open and to tell them I was on my way.

She is being kept in overnight and the vet thinks she may have some spinal injury due to her hanging and also because she isnt moving her back legs, to be honest though she isnt moving much at all. He has taken some x rays and can see no spinal damage, but he does think that something has happened. He has given her a massive shot of steroids and some very strong painkillers, and has her on a drip. He didnt seem to bothered about the bleeding though (coming out of her rear) as this isnt happening now.

Could there be paralysis even though the spine is intact, or is it more likely that the dog has expended all her energy struggling? She was left just after 3 this afternoon, and I got in from work about half 5 ish so a possibility of being there for about 2 hours max. She has scratched the plaster and also the wooden bit that goes up the stairs and these are quite deep scratches so it is obvious she has panicked really bad (understandable)

Cheers for any replies.
James
Old 06 February 2008, 07:55 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Can't offer any advice, but i hope she makes a full and speedy recovery, got me fingers crossed for you.
Old 06 February 2008, 08:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Fingers crossed here too, sounds terrible
Old 06 February 2008, 09:54 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

What an awful story Poor thing. jay, I hope she's on the mend soon
Old 06 February 2008, 10:32 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Poor dog. I hope she makes a full recovery..
Old 06 February 2008, 10:39 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i have a dog, and when hes sick or hurt i know the panic and fear you feel, i hope your dog recovers well and fast
Old 06 February 2008, 11:33 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jesus man, my Puppy got out the other day and it took 6 of us to catch her!

The panic from that was enough to knock me sick so I can't imagine how you felt see him like that...

My heart goes out to you !!

Keep us informed and I hope hes ok !!
Old 07 February 2008, 12:23 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Hope it works out.

When my dog was a puppy i left him whining in the house for a good 30 mins while i did some gardening - i thought he was just being soft.

Turns out he had got his foot stuck behind a radiator pipe and couldn't get up! Still have nightmares about that now!

Funnily enough he had that leg amputated at xmas so I'm thinking it was just an unlucky leg.
Old 07 February 2008, 02:28 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Hope everything turns out for the best.

Would you like to borrow one of Retrievers? They are both bonkers!
Old 07 February 2008, 06:17 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cheers for the comments, got to ring at 10 this morning to see whats happening, wil post back.

Not slept much with worry, didnt feel right not having the dog curled up on the bottom of the bed
Old 07 February 2008, 08:12 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Hope it all turns out OK - it could just be something like the dog had exhausted itself struggling to get free, or had gone into shock, but hopefully the vet will be able to sort it out.
Old 07 February 2008, 08:23 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
cheers for the comments, got to ring at 10 this morning to see whats happening, wil post back.

Not slept much with worry, didnt feel right not having the dog curled up on the bottom of the bed
try not to worry, its probably just inflammation, and a bit of shock

i had a dog years ago that got a bone stuck in the back of her throat. i was trying to get it out for about 20 minutes, the dog was collapsed on the floor. her tongue had swollen to twice its size and was blue. i was waiting for someone to drive me to the vet. as i picked her up, she was a big dog the bone dislodged and came out. the dog was out for 18 hours and survived with no permanant damage. i know its not the same but dogs are very resistant...fingers crossed
Old 07 February 2008, 09:08 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I know how you feel, it's awful I had a big panic with our dog on New Year's Day when she had a serious allergic reaction to something which resulted in rushed trip to the emergency vet.

My fingers are crossed that yours will be OK
Old 07 February 2008, 09:14 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's guess it was shock. We docked my pup's tail at 2 mths or whatever is the appropriate age, which I think needed a general. The next 2 days the dog simply looked at me as if to say "why, why, why? What have I done to deserve this?" [No answers needed here, let's not go there]. 2 days later he was sprinting round like a good'un. Neighbour also took her 10 yr old terrier in for a stomach op, again for 2 days it looked like it had given up on life - then another 24 hrs and totally back to normal.

Let's hope it's just that
Old 07 February 2008, 09:23 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

They're tough little buggers so I really hope - like all of us - that she has no damage aside from hurt pride. atb, dl
Old 07 February 2008, 09:26 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

all the best mate, sounds nasty, but the sort of thing dogs bounce back from

i know the feeling when tuvaaq hit his leg and collapsed screaming... tense time but he was fine. im sure the same will happen for you.

pimmo, 6 of ya! where did it get out too?
Old 07 February 2008, 09:36 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

spoke with the vets receptionist this morning, currently awaiting a call back from the vet. He has done some more checks/tests this morning etc. Apparently she is comfortable, and still on a drip.
Old 07 February 2008, 10:07 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

excellent news mate. animals who are in a bad way with injuries tend to pass quickly, so stable is a good thing

dare i ask, insured?
Old 07 February 2008, 10:38 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yes insured, learnt my lesson from an old springer I used to have many years back that did its cruciate ligament cost over £600 to be fixed, and a few weeks of me on the floor downstairs with it on an inflatable bed!!
Old 07 February 2008, 10:39 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

always hope you will never need it, but a relief when things like this happen
Old 07 February 2008, 10:43 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Hope it all works out well, thats an awful story.
Old 07 February 2008, 10:45 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
all the best mate, sounds nasty, but the sort of thing dogs bounce back from

i know the feeling when tuvaaq hit his leg and collapsed screaming... tense time but he was fine. im sure the same will happen for you.

pimmo, 6 of ya! where did it get out too?
I live on a Main road.. luckily although I couldn't catch her I could keep up and I sort of chased her into like a dead end lane.

She thinks I'm playing and is at the (teenage) type dog age so she had a great time the little *******.
Old 07 February 2008, 10:47 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
We docked my pup's tail at 2 mths

thats a whole new Scoobynet flaming topic
Old 07 February 2008, 10:52 AM
AnnieN
Scooby Regular

Oh man you poor thing, but pups are very resillient so fingers, toes and everything crossed for you both for a full and speedy recovery
Old 07 February 2008, 11:32 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

spoke with the vet and its a bit of a mixed bag

She is responding to touch on her hind legs, so it looks like she will have full mobility if she recovers

Bad news is that she has ruptured her bladder and that is what caused the bleeding. It also caused her urine to go into her blood which resulted in abnormal electrolyte levels in her blood and basically poisoning her. The good thing though is that the vet thinks that this is going to heal naturally and will know within the next 24/48 hrs. She has managed to do a natural wee recently though (large volume apparently) and this is what gives the vet hope that she wont need an op on her bladder. She has also managed a sloppy stool which again is good, and it only had a tiny amount of blood

The vet is going to take more blood later on, to see if the electrolyte levels are stabilising, and he will also take more scans/x rays to check on the colon. He said it seems okay from scans already done but he just wants to make sure as if there is colon damage then it can be fatal.

The vet will speak with me again about 4ish to give an update, and he has described her condition as critical but stable. - dont know if thats good though really or bad
Old 07 February 2008, 11:51 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Phew - bloody dogs, worse than kids!!

It must be a good sign that number ones and twos are reasonably OK. All the best and thanks for update. dl (Spaniel Owner)
Old 07 February 2008, 01:35 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

good luck, I had a sort of similar accident with two jack russels, they were on a coupling lead and went round my other halfs horses leg, The horse then reared and kept smashing them on the ground trying to get the lead with dogs off its leg. Eventually we stopped it and it looked like both dogs were dead, but still had movement so believe it or not with some cpr and a very fast trip to the vets one came round pretty fast. The other which is more relevant was suffering from a beating and in effect hanging from the lead she had bulging eyes which i'll imaging yours has. She was put on steroids straight away along with a drip and due to the time of day (saturday lunchtime and vet was going home) and a few other factors we decided to move her to my dads who is a vets but about 50 miles away. When we got there she couldn't see or hear but after a lot of checking he chucked her on a diuretic because of swelling affecting the nerves etc and within an hour she got up and bolted for the door to try and get out to go to the loo. She was unsteady and it wasn't a straight line but kept getting better over the next week or so and a year later you wouldn't know it happened

Dogs are pretty hardy obviously yours because of the time spent hanging is concerning but things to look for as obviously checking eyesight and hearing and also once she's up and about that she stays steady on her feet and goes in a straight line. Its amazing what they can get better from so fingers crossed
Old 07 February 2008, 01:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

nightmare pimmo. i worry when my mum goes out as she is a bit dappy when it comes to keeping the dog in. not had any panics and will be pissed if i do.

i take it she is at the " im not listening to you" stage. how you managing with walk off the lead? less defiance?

jay, sorry to hear there are complications. im sure the dog will adapt to whatever the outcome. strong lil things chin up
Old 07 February 2008, 02:02 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Poor dog hope she gets sorted and back to normal soon.
Old 07 February 2008, 06:31 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

another update.

Molly seems to be getting slightly better, her electrolytes are getting better and she has changed over sides that she is lying on. The vet checked her a short while ago and she was actually sat up right. She is still on a drip and she is still passing water and the vet said there is less and less blood discolouration in the urine. He is going to try giving her some food later and if she doesnt take it he will syringe it into her. Can hopefully visit her on saturday all being well