Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

We've been saying it for long enough

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2008, 02:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We've been saying it for long enough

Traffic-calming measures and a forest of road signs are encouraging motorists to take more risks, highways experts warn today.

Clearing away clutter - from speed bumps to white line markings - could actually make roads safer, says a report by the County Surveyors Society.

The Bristol-based expert said results from UK and Continental experiments on scrapping white-line markings showed a "startling" reduction in casualty rates of up to 35 per cent.

This is because when drivers have to rely on their wits, they tend to increase eye contact with pedestrians and other drivers.

Mr Hamilton-Baillie said: "The problem is that the more you introduce road-markings, signs and speed cameras, the less your brain allows you to concentrate on your surroundings.

Danger ahead! White lines on the road are more likely to make you crash | the Daily Mail
Old 13 February 2008, 02:53 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Broken white line - You can overtake - Solid white line - you can't.

If this "distracts" you, then you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place.

But I can appreciate that too many can be a distraction - A roundabout just near my work has just been re-marked and it's utterly ridiculous.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:08 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Not to forget the dreaded fashion trend that is red high grip tarmac strips for bends.

There I am braking for a bend on a wet road, slowing down fine and dandy, then the car hits the grip strips. That causes a wheel to break traction and slide, so then I'm in a maze of ABS and DSC madness as the car tries to sort out what happened, with me having little choice in the whole affair. Lovely. (maybe I should drive more sedately, but thats not the point, and I'm hardly a speed demon as it is )

Then on exiting the bend, and applying some throttle, the surface again goes from high grip coloured tarmac to the normal low grip black crap, the transition means I uxexpectedly (within reason ) and suddenly have a abrupt loss of traction, and woah there nelly, out swings the back end (RWD). Whearas if it was the same surface all along, it would be a gradual slide, not a sudden one.

The transition between low grip to high grip and vica versa causes as many problems as it tried to resolve But at least it looks pretty

If they want to use high grip stuff on a bad road, then do the whole lot, not put sodding strips before and after!

Last edited by Shark Man; 13 February 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:12 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I have never seen those grip strips on the exit from a roundabout, only the approach
Old 13 February 2008, 03:17 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

We have them on bends round here. Going across the entire width of the road, so you hit them on exiting a bend as well as the entry.

Some combined with a solar powered "Slow down" sign that is still triggered if you drive past at 15mph

And I have followed some old dears doing such a speed who braked when they saw it flash at them ...

Last edited by Shark Man; 13 February 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:18 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I hate those flashy signs,

I used to like the ones that displayed your speen though, they could be quite fun
Old 13 February 2008, 06:27 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

Quite fun till they started capping them at 10 over the limit rather then 99mph

gurr
Old 13 February 2008, 09:18 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
I hate those flashy signs,

I used to like the ones that displayed your speen though, they could be quite fun
Why are these signs always placed a few metres before the hazard they are warning you about, you take your eyes off the road just at the moment you should be checking the unsafe junction crossing your path. Place them a further away so that you take in the information and then can react accordingly.