Tips for the Far East please?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2008, 11:30 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for the Far East please?

Hello,

Am off to Hong Kong, Southern China, and Vietnam soon, on business. Never been to those places before and was hoping for a few tips?

Whats good to buy in HK please? Not interested in fake watches and so on. Is it good for electronics, or even just cheap DVD's?

What about sights and sounds?

Southern China will be Dongguan, so nowhere as exciting as Shanghai or Beijing. I am not expecting much to be honest.

Vietnam will be Ho Chi Minh City, so that does appeal. Any worthwhile tourist stuff to do there?

I won't have too much time in these places, as there will be some pesky work to do, but any useful tips would be appreciated.

TIA.

Asif
Old 19 February 2008, 11:32 PM
freedomfighter
Scooby Regular

salamun alaikum bros

dont buy sex bros lol as a man u maybe tempted for a baws massage or a nice session wae some ladies just remember its satan tempting u lol even if they whisper luv u long time, just ignore then
Old 19 February 2008, 11:47 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

LOL Moses! Very funny!

That might be a bit tricky as I will be with colleagues quite a lot, but if I get any good tips I will let you know!

Asif
Old 19 February 2008, 11:52 PM
freedomfighter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AsifScoob
LOL Moses! Very funny!

That might be a bit tricky as I will be with colleagues quite a lot, but if I get any good tips I will let you know!

Asif
lol bros forgive me i woz kidding, i never been their but as u know u hear aboot the far east all the time and the thin beauties etc

lol bros its hard being a man aint it , God gave us strength tae fight against temptation ameen

nice tae see u around bros, hope the family is well ameen
Old 20 February 2008, 08:45 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

If you are buying electrics in Hong Kong go to one of the big shopping centres (don't be tempted by backstreet bargains) and you'll get an international guarantee which means no probs.....

You will find electrics a bit cheaper but not by a huge margin...

Bought an ipod there 3 years ago and prob only saved me 25%

Enjoy, wonderful place for shopping and couldn't be easier as ell shops in the shopping centres tend to be grouped together ie. all electrical retailers 3rd floor

I found HK great for buying cheap but good quality clothes
Old 20 February 2008, 10:03 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

I travelled vietnam a few years ago and found them to be the most dishonest and ready to rip you off people of all se asia nice ountry though
na trang was our highlight
Old 20 February 2008, 12:04 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
I travelled vietnam a few years ago and found them to be the most dishonest and ready to rip you off people of all se asia nice ountry though
Much like any other country treats its tourists/foreigneers really.
Old 20 February 2008, 12:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Never been to China or Vietnam, but I loved Hong Kong, lots to do and see. A fascinatiing place. Make the most of it while you are there.

Les
Old 20 February 2008, 12:39 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar

I would say that outside Saigon they are some of the nicest people you could meet Thai's definately try to con you more.

For tourists go to the war Museum or the War crimes Museum as I think they call it, go and visit the chu chi tunnels, get a cyclo to show you all the rest of the sights of the city and then get pissed in any of the hundreds of great bars that saigon has to offer. Apocalypse and the Lost in Saigon bar were good back in the day but for very different reasons.
Old 21 February 2008, 01:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it is Lama Island in Honk Kong where you can go on the Star Ferry for an outstanding fish meal.

Les
Old 21 February 2008, 04:59 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AsifScoob
Hello,

Am off to Hong Kong, Southern China, and Vietnam soon, on business. Never been to those places before and was hoping for a few tips?

Asif
Hong Kong - have lunch at the top of the Revolving 66 in Central. It's pure 70s retro-kitsch and it rotates like the top of BT Tower. But the view over the bay is splendid.

Should you walk by the former Royal Navy HQ, it was amusingly known by the Chinese as 'the building of a thousand ****holes' - whether in deference to the (then) occupants, the bizarre architecture (or both) is unknown.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:48 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost
Hong Kong - have lunch at the top of the Revolving 66 in Central. It's pure 70s retro-kitsch and it rotates like the top of BT Tower. But the view over the bay is splendid.

Should you walk by the former Royal Navy HQ, it was amusingly known by the Chinese as 'the building of a thousand ****holes' - whether in deference to the (then) occupants, the bizarre architecture (or both) is unknown.
Hi HG,

Whereabouts is 'Central' please?

I am staying in 'Harbour City' one of the Marco Polo Hotels. Conference will be there too. Luckily my hosts are locals, so I will see what they have in mind. A couple of suggestions like that from me however may be useful.

Thanks

Asif
Old 22 February 2008, 01:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost

I remember that building Believe me you will know it when you see it Asif!

Les
Old 22 February 2008, 02:52 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

I recently came back from Hong Kong and electronics are virtually the same price, you can get the odd bargain but not many. Remember to take breathing apparatus as the pollution is chronic !