Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Numpties in Vans - or any vehicle to be honest

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2008, 05:11 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numpties in Vans - or any vehicle to be honest

Why is it that in a 20 Mph zone a van felt the need to "encourage" me to speed up by being 3 inches from my rear bumper. Needless to say "i aint bovvered" i was doing 20 maybe the occasional 21/22 Easy enough solution i slowed done through fear for my life and bumper

Angry angry van man.
Old 20 February 2008, 05:14 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Good for you

Other drivers take note - Sitting on my bumper when you want me to speed up with have the exact opposite effect.
Old 20 February 2008, 05:20 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

I could see him flapping and waving amongst other things. What makes anyone think that this will make me break the law.

I see it on motorways when the car infront cannot go anywhere as they are overtaking...GENIUS
Old 20 February 2008, 05:21 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

Happens alot round my area and also taxis come tearing it up behind so i slow down even more haha. They should either overtake or backoff IMO
Old 20 February 2008, 05:36 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

strangely, in mainland europe, if someone wants to make quicker progress than the person in front, the slower person will actually move over and let them pass.......weird no?
Old 20 February 2008, 05:47 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I overtake cars in 20mph zones.

Admittedely its because of numpties (and neds with stupid splitters and lowered suspension) slowing to 5mph for every speed bump.

It's actually more comfortable for me to go over them faster at 20mph (suspension deflect, instead it deflecting me )). So in order to maintain my comfort, fuel economy and brakes, I overtake if it is safe to do so (no kids, pedestrians, oncomming traffic etc), and through all this, I still don't exceed the speed limit (remember, speed kills )

Bit bad-boy and naughty, I know. But hell to it, I don't care about the car (not that its harmed it during the last 42K miles).
Old 20 February 2008, 06:00 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by moff1888
Why is it that in a 20 Mph zone a van felt the need to "encourage" me to speed up by being 3 inches from my rear bumper. Needless to say "i aint bovvered" i was doing 20 maybe the occasional 21/22 Easy enough solution i slowed done through fear for my life and bumper

Angry angry van man.
Didn't you know, vans are the fastest vehicles on the road and must be past everything at all costs

Wasn't white, was it
Old 20 February 2008, 06:41 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

In Italy they all tailgate until you move out of the way. Somehow it is acceptable over there.
Old 20 February 2008, 07:44 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

The UK is one of the few countrys in the world when people deliberately slow down and annoy those that want/need to get somewhere and believe it is their duty to uphold the laws of the road. To most normal people they are considered d1cks, go figure.
Old 20 February 2008, 07:46 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Even funnier when they come on here and boast about it. One day you'll get smashed off the road or beaten up at traffic lights but someone you have really pissed off.

Come on here and tell us when that happens too, please do
Old 20 February 2008, 08:32 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB
The UK is one of the few countrys in the world when people deliberately slow down and annoy those that want/need to get somewhere and believe it is their duty to uphold the laws of the road. To most normal people they are considered d1cks, go figure.
I have no problems allowing people to speed, i dont give a rats about that My point was that i couldnt go anywhere and didnt NEED to go faster than the limit - and im talking about residential areas not duel carriageways etc. So by driving up my **** what did he hope to achieve, nothing.

I have no problems with some tube that wants to step out of the car he'll either get shown up or nicked either i dont care.

Ive spent a number of years driving on the continent and the only time you have people right up yer a**e is on a motorway!
Old 20 February 2008, 08:44 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Just to be clear then, in a 20mph zone, you should break the speed limit just because the person behind you wants you to?
Old 20 February 2008, 08:46 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I have no problems allowing people to speed, i dont give a rats about that My point was that i couldnt go anywhere and didnt NEED to go faster than the limit - and im talking about residential areas not duel carriageways etc. So by driving up my **** what did he hope to achieve, nothing.

I have no problems with some tube that wants to step out of the car he'll either get shown up or nicked either i dont care.

Ive spent a number of years driving on the continent and the only time you have people right up yer a**e is on a motorway!
Precisely, If someone wants to drive like a **** in a 20/30mph zone, then that's up them, but if they think I am going to speed on thier account they can **** right off.

On a motorway/dual carriageway it's a completely different matter.
Old 20 February 2008, 08:48 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you on this one Pete. I wouldn't necessarily encourage people to deliberately slow down, with the intention of annoying another, but why should someone feel pressured into breaking the law, just because someone has somewhere to be?
Old 20 February 2008, 08:51 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I'm with you on this one Pete. I wouldn't necessarily encourage people to deliberately slow down, with the intention of annoying another, but why should someone feel pressured into breaking the law, just because someone has somewhere to be?

Funnily enough, in the highway code, if someone is tailgating you, it tells you to slow down.
Old 20 February 2008, 08:51 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Just to be clear then, in a 20mph zone, you should break the speed limit just because the person behind you wants you to?
Apparently only if you are not a D1ck
Old 20 February 2008, 08:53 PM
old bob
Scooby Regular

i drive a van, no its not white but was my own 20k that was spent buying it, i need to rush around to earn a living, against speeding in restricted areas, but some drivers do pick on van drivers thinking that we dont have as much of a right as them just cause were in vans
Old 20 February 2008, 08:54 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funnily enough, in the highway code, if someone is tailgating you, it tells you to slow down.
I was not aware of that. I must admit, unless I'm stupid, which may well be the case, I can't see what purpose that would serve other than irritating the person tailgating.
Old 20 February 2008, 08:54 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by old bob
i drive a van, no its not white but was my own 20k that was spent buying it, i need to rush around to earn a living, against speeding in restricted areas, but some drivers do pick on van drivers thinking that we dont have as much of a right as them just cause were in vans
Oh I think van drivers can look after themselves
Old 20 February 2008, 08:55 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I was not aware of that. I must admit, unless I'm stupid, which may well be the case, I can't see what purpose that would serve other than irritating the person tailgating.
The theory goes that if they are tailgaiting you, then an accident is more likely - Hence you reduce your speed, therefore if they do hit you, then the likelyhood of injury, and being pushed into the other lane etc is reduced.
Old 20 February 2008, 08:56 PM
old bob
Scooby Regular

Oh I think van drivers can look after themselves

didnt say that!
Old 20 February 2008, 08:59 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Im only concerned about the fact that if i have to brake sharply the chances are a van (or car im not picking on vans, too much) has no chance of stopping or avoiding me, as a consequence i will end up with a damaged car or maybe even a blackeye by the big bad van driving bully who will beat me up
Old 20 February 2008, 09:01 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by old bob
didnt say that!
I know - I just had this image of a burly van driver being picked on
Old 20 February 2008, 09:08 PM
old bob
Scooby Regular

I know - I just had this image of a burly van driver being picked on

oh ma bad! well i aint that big, but the good thing bout the van is that theres plenty of room for my metal baseball bat, and that is big!!
Old 20 February 2008, 09:12 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

The theory goes that if they are tailgaiting you, then an accident is more likely - Hence you reduce your speed, therefore if they do hit you, then the likelyhood of injury, and being pushed into the other lane etc is reduced.

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:17 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Surely thats more applicable to 2+ lanes. This was all down to a 20Mph residential area.

Anything else and asl ong as there is a space i wont hold people up intentionally.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:22 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Surely thats more applicable to 2+ lanes. This was all down to a 20Mph residential area.

Anything else and asl ong as there is a space i wont hold people up intentionally.

That's from the "General Rules" section - it makes no mention of type of carriageway.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:23 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

"Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass"

This is the main bit I was getting at.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:25 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

"Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass"

This is the main bit I was getting at.
He couldnt pass thats what i was getting at.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:28 PM
Impreza Steve
Scooby Regular

Tailgating really really really p***es me off, I see no need at all for the person to be soo close. There no going any faster, and wont get to there destination any faster.

I drive a van for work (tradesman) and i do not tailgate at all, i think its well danagous to be soo close to someone, you have got no chance of stopping in a van.

I also slow down if someone decides they want to feel the Deep Mica blue paint of my bumper.

Quick Reply: Numpties in Vans - or any vehicle to be honest